Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 27,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebein View Post
Hi,
I have been longing to start a home health care business for years now. I worked as a Home Health Aide to put myself through college and has a degree in Psychology and minor in Health Administration. Currently I work in social services for a major city. My family and I relocated to another state which is still close to my job ( 1.30 hr commute on the train). The problem is that I am not overly satisfied which my current job plus now with the long commute, I know it it time for me to start something in my new state. I really want to start a Home health care business because it seems very lucrative but I don't know where to begin. I have researched some franchises but their fees are too high.

My question is has anyone on this board started this kind of business without having to buy a franchise? If so please share your experience and what I 'll need to do. Also if you bought a franchise, what were your experiences? How do I know which franchise is from a reputable company. I appreciate all responses and suggestions. Thanks.
My question to you is have you contacted a franchise company and when are you hoping to open your business? Not that I'm trying to sell you a franchise, but the advantages outweigh the franchise fee. Here are some issues that you will need to address to start your own business:
· Name, logo, branding
· Collateral material-business cards, brochures, etc.
· Insurance
· Forms for clients, caregivers, etc (FYI the $89 forms online are not specific to state regulations)
· State licensure
· Website and internet marketing
· Policy and procedure manuals
· Recruiting policies
· Training and education program
Are you exhausted, yet? This is just a small list of items. There is so much more involved in starting your own business. Realistically speaking, if you were to do all the above on your own, your cost would be greater than a franchise fee plus the time and effort would be more than a year. With a franchise you receive a 'business in a box' where everything has been done for you and your business starts immediately. The model is tried, tested, and perfected. Plus, you receive training. If you were on your own, there would be neither training nor support. If on your own, who would you call to ask operational or legal questions?

Some would say, "well, I don't need a website." If your competition has a website, then you need a website. "I don't need brochures." Yes, you do because your competitors have spent lots of $'s on copywriters, designers, and printers. "I really do not need to have a policy and procedures manual." Try to explain that to the state auditors.

My advice to you would be to contact reputable home care franchises and ask questions. You may be surprised.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:50 PM

19,954 posts, read 29,993,449 times
id check into your state's health and human services-ask alot of questions-also most states have "s.c.o.r.e" consultants, that are absolutely free, look it up on the internet- these are retired professionals in every field helping folks start up thier own businesses- this is free!!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 32,390 times
Is anyone above opperating on Arizona?

Old 07-09-2010, 03:31 PM

6 posts, read 61,234 times
Default Problem with franchise....

Alot of franchises already have territories filled. And then, you need to work within a territory. Look on the net at your area the number of agencies and how many are franchises. There are a lot that are successful on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay at Home franchise View Post
My question to you is have you contacted a franchise company and when are you hoping to open your business? Not that I'm trying to sell you a franchise, but the advantages outweigh the franchise fee. Here are some issues that you will need to address to start your own business:
· Name, logo, branding
· Collateral material-business cards, brochures, etc.
· Insurance
· Forms for clients, caregivers, etc (FYI the $89 forms online are not specific to state regulations)
· State licensure
· Website and internet marketing
· Policy and procedure manuals
· Recruiting policies
· Training and education program
Are you exhausted, yet? This is just a small list of items. There is so much more involved in starting your own business. Realistically speaking, if you were to do all the above on your own, your cost would be greater than a franchise fee plus the time and effort would be more than a year. With a franchise you receive a 'business in a box' where everything has been done for you and your business starts immediately. The model is tried, tested, and perfected. Plus, you receive training. If you were on your own, there would be neither training nor support. If on your own, who would you call to ask operational or legal questions?

Some would say, "well, I don't need a website." If your competition has a website, then you need a website. "I don't need brochures." Yes, you do because your competitors have spent lots of $'s on copywriters, designers, and printers. "I really do not need to have a policy and procedures manual." Try to explain that to the state auditors.

My advice to you would be to contact reputable home care franchises and ask questions. You may be surprised.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 16,196 times
I was thinking about opening a non medical homecare agency as well, but I think I'll be better with having a business partner as well

Old 09-03-2010, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 16,073 times
How do I go about getting clients for my newly licensed non medical home health care business?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:32 AM

1 posts, read 16,012 times
Default home health care info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie38 View Post
We are starting with out buying a franchise. The only thing I am stumbling over is the insurance and billing? Can anyone help me with that?
Where did you find market research information in the area where you started your business?

Where can I find copies of business plans that others have used? Thank you.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 32,390 times
Is anyone in this group looking to opperate a non-medical home health business in Arizona? I have a strong sales history, reaching goals of over $7M last year and am considering moving to this field.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 15,964 times
Default Please help me with advice to get going

Hi. Please help! I am a newbie to the business. If I may ask, where can I get reasonable insurance for my home care business as I do not have a lot of money?
Also, how do I get a lot of clients quickly.

Thank You in Advance
Jettie Johnson

Last edited by vter; 10-17-2010 at 02:44 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 15,237 times
I am starting a non-medical homecare in Nor. California. Where can I get info on business insurance providers? I have received high quotes so far. Want to get a list of insurers folks have used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business