Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:07 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEng View Post
Global expansion is what has kept GM alive in the last decades. As a company you have to expand and invest where people are buying and spending. Asia-Pacific and Russia are essential to GM's survival.
The North American and western european markets are declining and people are not buying as many cars so you have to adjust production to reality.
Also a car built in China for the chinese market or in Russia for the russian market cannot be sold here because of our safety and tailpipe regulations.
It makes sense to continue to invest in the markets that are bringing you the profits.
Like I said (read my post again), I don't have a problem with overseas production and investment. But I DO have a problem with them lying to Congress and implying that they desperately need public money to stay alive and save U.S. jobs then turn around and still lay off thousands more, announce more plant closings and cut benefits for new hires (UAW is useless)to to below the levels of the Japanese and German transplants! All the while they invest in China and Russia!!!

Last edited by roncorey1; 04-29-2009 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 08:43 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
I have absolutely no sympathy for the dealerships.....they have been screwing people for years. Now it's going to be their turn, or at least a goodly number of them.

Unfortunately, the worst crooks (the mega dealers) will probably survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business