Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,040 times

Advertisements

actually I looked into. Buying a car made by an American company but built in Mexico does overall, employ more Americans when you take research, development, parts etc. And the profits stay in the United States. Definitely better for the economy. Buying a Toyota Camry made in Kentucky...true that parts are made here, but profits go to Japan...worse for our economy. And the Foreign manufacturers do not employ nearly as many Americans as do the Domestics...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 12:08 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
just buy what car you like better. there are so many more important factors that come into play when shopping for a car (reliability, build quality, cost of ownership, etc.) that country of manufacture/origin becomes a non-issue.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:17 PM

474 posts, read 905,406 times
I am indifferent on this. We have a Mexican built Ford (Fusion) and American-made Hondas. I bought them because they were the right vehicle for the right price with the quality I wanted. The fact they were all built by non-union labor made me happy.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
My wife's Honda Odyssey was made forty miles from our house.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:17 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
I am indifferent on this. We have a Mexican built Ford (Fusion) and American-made Hondas. I bought them because they were the right vehicle for the right price with the quality I wanted. The fact they were all built by non-union labor made me happy.
If there's one labor group I can support, it's definitely American non-union labor

Old 09-01-2010, 12:46 PM

201 posts, read 636,576 times
Points of 'assembly' should not be confused with points of 'manufacture' or origin..

the real money is always in manufacturing, not in assembly...Design and manufacturing are
paramount...

Many of the so-called US made foreign cars are nothing but assembly lines with engone blocks, drivetrains, computers etc manufactured outside the US...

I want to see a Mercedes Benz engine or a Porsche engine MANUFACTURED in the US...from casting to the heads in toto....ditto Toyota.Lexus

Old 10-01-2010, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,919 times
Default To buy or not to buy

My 2010 Toyota Camry built in The United States Of America. Produced in Indiana and Kentucky, and has 80% domestic part content. Also based on a study by cars.com is the #1 most American vehilce. Per origin of production, domestic parts content, and sales numbers. Conversely the new 2011 Ford Fiesta is produced completely in Mexico. Engine is made there, and the vehicle is assembled in Mexico as well. So if I am going to pay hard earned money for a vehicle, I personally go for best quality, most domestic part content, and last but not least built here in the good ole US of A. Putting, and keeping Americans at work. The domestic car companies can go to Mexico or where ever, but they won't get my money.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:53 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
How about a Chevrolet built in Ohio, a Ford built in Kentucky, or a Chrysler built in Michigan?

Old 02-25-2016, 03:41 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millennialmom View Post
I put a question like this out on the Detroit thread and have drawn a variety of responses. It seems there would be a definite answer as to which choice would have a better impact on the American economy; buying foreign and keeping Americans working or, buy American that was produced in Mexico with profits to the domestic auto company? Anyone ever look at this situation?
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:45 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
If there's one labor group I can support, it's definitely American non-union labor

What a very un-American sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business