U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Business incorporation: real estate, web design, realtor, tax help, taxes.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:08 AM

4,292 posts, read 13,710,298 times

Advertisements

OK, it's starting to make sense.....thank you.

I do have a partner, so I guess it would default to a Partnership unless I set up and S-Corp or C-Corp. It seems first thing I should do is set up an LLC, which doesn't seem to be a big deal. I have no employees at the moment, so I guess I can wait and meet with a good CPA and/or Attorney to discuss my specific situation and get advice. If that's not set up until let's say next year, then for 2007 we would be taxed individually on personal income but not have to pay any employment tax. Is this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 12:57 PM

2,952 posts, read 12,453,273 times
Just a little word to the wise. Do you think you will be making a fair amount of money (I know it would be nice to make buckets).

Do seek out a CPA now instead of waiting. We had a C-corp and got taxed twice and I, personally, had a 14,000 tax bill. I was paying myself $12,000 that year (I have a separate income that I live off of).

So, I made some mistakes - one learns. Please don't find yourself in the same situation. That tax bill was a very sobering experience.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:57 PM

491 posts, read 2,111,149 times
What state are you in? Check the taxes and fees for your state. California upped it's annual LLC fee, then asked for a percentage of LLC income. Someone's fighting this in the courts but don't hold your breath.

Definitely talk to a good CPA about how each entity is taxed and how things will evolve as you make more money, hire people, etc. In addition, research the taxes online - all the tax info is online these days.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:06 PM

30 posts, read 84,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
OK, it's starting to make sense.....thank you.

I do have a partner, so I guess it would default to a Partnership unless I set up and S-Corp or C-Corp. It seems first thing I should do is set up an LLC, which doesn't seem to be a big deal. I have no employees at the moment, so I guess I can wait and meet with a good CPA and/or Attorney to discuss my specific situation and get advice. If that's not set up until let's say next year, then for 2007 we would be taxed individually on personal income but not have to pay any employment tax. Is this correct?
I agree with the above comments... you should talk to someone now, not later. If you wait, you risk getting into trouble... especially since there is only a narrow window of time when you are allowed to elect S status for a tax year. It has to be done (working from memory here, this could be wrong, but it should at least be close) within 2 1/2 months from the date of incorporation. Now, that's with a regular corporate entity... now that I think about it, I'm not sure what the limit would be with an LLC, since you would also have to file an election to treat the LLC as a corporation. I'm not sure when the 2 1/2 months would start running. Anyway, my point is that you need good advice at the beginning of the year, because if you do decide an S corp is the way to go, you *cannot* do it later on in the year. You would have to wait until the following tax year (then the 2 1/2 months runs from the beginning of the year), and the current tax year may cost you.

If you have a partner, then you have a de facto partnership (even if there is no formal partnership agreement). Properly, for tax purposes, the partnership would file a 1065, part of which would show the split of profits between the partners. Those profits would then flow through to your individual 1040s, where you would pay income tax as well as self employment tax on the income. You do not escape self employment tax.

There are planning opportunities available with S Corps to minimize some of the self employment taxes, but this has to be carefully done to stand up to IRS scrutiny. There's no opportunity to minimize self employment taxes with a C Corp, but with C Corps there is the opportunity to write off far more than with any other type of entity.

Really, now is the time to talk to a CPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or