Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:09 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenciti View Post
I cannot help it!

It can be done...honestly. You have to make a conscience effort but it can be done. If you are hurting yourself as you say, you are surely hurting your family and that is who comes first.

We haven't been in a wm in a few years and do not miss it at all. Sure the prices are cheaper but we have become more disciplined in shopping and we feel better knowing that we aren't feeding our hard earned cash into that cess pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 01:47 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
One thing is for sure - in this recession I want to hang onto all the money I have as much as possible. When I went to Wal-Mart and saw the deals they had on clothing I was in shock... decent Hooded Sweatshirts for 14.00, long sleeved shirts for 7.00, shorts for 9.00... How are they doing it? How do they have such low prices? How can any other clothing retailers compete with that?

Old 09-23-2009, 04:49 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,263 times
I went into wally world today, because they have T-mobile phones. The phone I want cost $179 ($50 mail rebate final cost $129) in T mobile stores. Wally world want $48.88 for the same phone out the door. How is this possible. I couldn't help myself,but $130 difference. I ask are they refurbish, they said no.

I had to hurt myself,well not really.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:04 PM

658 posts, read 847,663 times
I have reduced my spending in Walmart tremendously, for reasons listed here but also due to the aesthetics of the store.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 PM

204 posts, read 635,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Walmart loves to shock and awe. City-size stores, absurdly low prices ($8 jeans!) and everything from milk to Matchbox toys on its shelves. And with the recession forcing legions of stores into bankruptcy, the world's largest retailer now apparently wants to take out the remaining survivors.

Walmart's Project Impact: A Move to Crush Competition - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090909/us_time/08599192069800 - broken link)
Good for Wal-Mart. K-Mart and Toys R Us suck and I hope they get KO'ed. Wal-Mart works because they cater to the consumer.

The sad fact is there is far too much excess in retail in America. A lot of stores still have to go under. In a suburban environment stores like Wal-Mart and Target work.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:16 PM

192 posts, read 721,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
One thing is for sure - in this recession I want to hang onto all the money I have as much as possible. When I went to Wal-Mart and saw the deals they had on clothing I was in shock... decent Hooded Sweatshirts for 14.00, long sleeved shirts for 7.00, shorts for 9.00... How are they doing it? How do they have such low prices? How can any other clothing retailers compete with that?
Easy to make things cheap when you get free prison slave labor to make your products for you and don't have to incur costs related to safety or environmentally friendly practices with your manufacturing.

If there is any hope for restrengthening Americas economy, middle class job sector and keeping this planet from becoming a tyranically run toxic cess pool, we all need to stop supporting the manufacturing in China.

The money anyone saves on made in china products, is being paid for by slave labor, the health and safety of people, and the environment. Nothing is free.

Anyone selling or buying "Made in China" products needs to watch this and see what they are creating with every made in China purchase-

YouTube - MADE IN CHINA

Old 09-23-2009, 05:24 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenciti View Post
I cannot help it!

We are in a recession. If the Union stores weren't so expensive I wouldn't have to shop at WM. Do I buy (example beer) for 18.99 at a Union store or 10.99 at a non-Union store, same product? It's pretty simple math.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post

They can't compete with those prices and the reality of it is that those who are supplying wm product at these prices can't last long either. wm doesn't care who they hurt or put down as long as they are making sales. Poor business practices to say the VERY least.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestager View Post
easy to make things cheap when you get free prison slave labor to make your products for you and don't have to incur costs related to safety or environmentally friendly practices with your manufacturing.

If there is any hope for restrengthening americas economy, middle class job sector and keeping this planet from becoming a tyranically run toxic cess pool, we all need to stop supporting the manufacturing in china.

The money anyone saves on made in china products, is being paid for by slave labor, the health and safety of people, and the environment. Nothing is free.

Anyone selling or buying "made in china" products needs to watch this and see what they are creating with every made in china purchase-

youtube - made in china

+1

Old 09-25-2009, 12:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I have to laugh really. i can remmeebr when the same was said of general motors. But wal-mart is really aiming at much of the outside world just as many US companes have woken up to like GM.They just don't huge growth here really in years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business