Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:23 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times

Advertisements

Walmart loves to shock and awe. City-size stores, absurdly low prices ($8 jeans!) and everything from milk to Matchbox toys on its shelves. And with the recession forcing legions of stores into bankruptcy, the world's largest retailer now apparently wants to take out the remaining survivors.

Walmart's Project Impact: A Move to Crush Competition - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090909/us_time/08599192069800 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 06:46 AM

260 posts, read 946,677 times
Very interesting article. Greed is huge among Walmart's executives, but I must say, that they really are doing a great job at giving people the products that they need during this tough economy. I myself go to Walmart at least once a week. I hate their business practices, but no one else can compete with their prices. I'm afraid though, that once they take everyone else, we will be stucked with just one place to shop and they will be able to do whatever they want with their prices, merchandise, and customer service, since they won't have the fear of strong competition.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:16 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamyers View Post
Very interesting article. Greed is huge among Walmart's executives, but I must say, that they really are doing a great job at giving people the products that they need during this tough economy. I myself go to Walmart at least once a week. I hate their business practices, but no one else can compete with their prices. I'm afraid though, that once they take everyone else, we will be stucked with just one place to shop and they will be able to do whatever they want with their prices, merchandise, and customer service, since they won't have the fear of strong competition.
Kind of reminds me of the movie Idiocracy, where Costco is basically the size of a small city...even with it's own rail system. Plus, you can get your law degree there

It's kind of scary.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:35 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,165 times
I admire the spirit, I guess, but city councils have to vote Wal Mart into their cities. At least every suburb I run through I hear has to allow these box stores in.

So, before we get all uppity about Wal Marts being on every single corner...anyway, I've never heard a successful biz go on with the mantra "We just sorta' hope to hang on for dear life while hoping our competition has mercy on us!"

Old 09-20-2009, 04:49 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,143 times
every time you walk into a wm and buy goods, stop and think about the American workers who are displaced because of wm practices. Every time Americans buy from there we are enabling these abusive practices. It is tragic what wm is doing to this country.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:35 AM

172 posts, read 509,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamyers View Post
I too go to Wally World about once a week because of their lower prices. But on the flipside, Walmart puts all of its vendors through the ringer for those low prices. I know because I work for a company that they purchase products from. It really sucks because they force their vendors to eat the costs associated with reducing the prices or they will just threaten to buy from someone else with a similar product if the company cannot meet the lower costs demanded. The vendor usually has no choice because Wally World is such a large portion of their business. This really hurts job growth within the US manufacturing industry. Its a vicious cycle, manufacturing jobs are reduced due to cutting costs and we support it by shopping at Wally World to save money. Do not get me wrong, I do not hate Wally World, I shop there all of the time to save money but deep down, I know that I am only hurting myself.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
every time you walk into a wm and buy goods, stop and think about the American workers who are displaced because of wm practices. Every time Americans buy from there we are enabling these abusive practices. It is tragic what wm is doing to this country.
YES!!! I just posted something along these lines. Wally World has too much power over its vendors. Remember Levi Strauss, moving its plants from the US to Mexico due to WM's demand for lower prices.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:06 PM

782 posts, read 3,788,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
It's tragic that most people see them destroying the competition and continue to shop there to save a buck. I know people may not have the means to shop elsewhere, but they(not me I shop at Target,Meijer) are slowly chipping away at the American dream. We can stand up to Wally world and shop elsewhere.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:08 PM

782 posts, read 3,788,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenciti View Post
I too go to Wally World about once a week because of their lower prices. But on the flipside, Walmart puts all of its vendors through the ringer for those low prices. I know because I work for a company that they purchase products from. It really sucks because they force their vendors to eat the costs associated with reducing the prices or they will just threaten to buy from someone else with a similar product if the company cannot meet the lower costs demanded. The vendor usually has no choice because Wally World is such a large portion of their business. This really hurts job growth within the US manufacturing industry. Its a vicious cycle, manufacturing jobs are reduced due to cutting costs and we support it by shopping at Wally World to save money. Do not get me wrong, I do not hate Wally World, I shop there all of the time to save money but deep down, I know that I am only hurting myself.
Stop hurting yourself.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
Stop hurting yourself.
I cannot help it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business