U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:20 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,540,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I would think this is a management issue and not the store. There are alot of messy successfull dept. stores like Walmart, but are that way cause of lazy management.
Most likely the messiness is from not allotting enough labor hours for stocking/cleanup. Whenever Im in these stores it seems like there is one cashier and one person running around like crazy. Ours are also very messy. I worked for a local grocery chain that is HUGE on cleanliness and most of the cleaning was done at night, when no revenue was being generated. I.E. pure cost. So if these places are already operating on a thin margin it wouldn't surprise me at all if when they closed at ten they sent the staff home immediately to reduce costs. That or they try to get the staff to clean off the clock which could be why there always seems to be high employee turnover in my dollar stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:35 PM

389 posts, read 359,488 times
Dollar General is extremely popular here. We have one in our neighborhood that is always busy. As previously mentioned, the stores around here are horribly understaffed. There is always stock in the aisles and not enough register coverage. When I worked in retail that kind of understaffing resulted in lots of theft, from employees and customers. Staffing the store properly is key.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:26 PM

69,360 posts, read 57,634,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbear1234 View Post
Dollar General is extremely popular here. We have one in our neighborhood that is always busy. As previously mentioned, the stores around here are horribly understaffed. There is always stock in the aisles and not enough register coverage. When I worked in retail that kind of understaffing resulted in lots of theft, from employees and customers. Staffing the store properly is key.
Thats completely true, however I'm willing to bet that theft at dollar stores are far less than other retail outlets, simply due to the fact the items are $1.

If I'm a shoplifter, I'd be far more inclined to try to steal that $100 item rather than $1, simply becaue the punishment is the same.

I could be wrong, maybe people think "its $1, they wont prosecute".. which of couse is probably true.

I wonder how the retail theft compares to other outlets..

Old 11-20-2014, 09:20 PM

389 posts, read 359,488 times
Dollar General is not a $1 store. They have items at all price points. They have clothing, food, health and beauty items, seasonal items, prepaid cell phones etc. They are not like a Dollar Tree. They sell name brands like Tide, Secret deodorant etc. They also have their own house brands that ate cheaper. It is not like a Dollar Tree. Not sure if they are in all parts of the country, which is why there may be some confusion. They kind of remind me of a miniature big box store, if that makes any sense.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,453 times
Default Being an independent Dollar store owner; need your help

Moneybear66,
please need help; I'll be opening a dollar store and want to be an independent dollar store owner like you. How do i go about it???
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneybear66 View Post
I am a independent dollar store owner. I own my own buildings. I have done extensive research finding the best suppliers nationwide. To be a successful independent operator it is essential that you have someone on board who has at least some wholesale/Corporate buying experience. Success in this business begins and ends with stocking what the customers want, for the right price, and having it on the shelf when they look for it.

My stores are not totally dollar stores. We have a General Store concept. Selling Used items, country, and dollar items.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:22 PM

4,626 posts, read 3,752,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apostle777 View Post
Moneybear66,
please need help; I'll be opening a dollar store and want to be an independent dollar store owner like you. How do i go about it???
thanks
? The quoted post answered the question, at least in-part:

- Supply chain management, understanding the supplier's business model in-detail
- Real estate and location: I believe that's "vertical integration".
- Strategic planning of purchasing
- Detailed inventory planning and tracking

Oh, and last sentence: diversification of business model to broaden appeal and maximize traffic.

Geez, I learned most of what I needed by reading the quoted, knowing or caring squat about the concept prior. BTW, quoted post is three years old, by someone who has only one post on the forum. Good luck with that.

Assuming the quoted is true, and it seems to make sense (for starters), opening a high-volume low-margin business like a "dollar store" would require knowledge of all the above and more, then. An MBA wouldn't hurt, for that or any other business. The entire model sounds like a dog to me, but with sufficient management of the moving parts it clearly must work well for some, else they wouldn't exist (I'm not aware of too many such places outside the ghetto or working class neighborhoods, adjacent to check cashing stores and Vietnamese nail salons, but again: see "real estate and location", i.e. "know your customer base in-detail").

Old 04-26-2016, 09:47 PM

487 posts, read 1,038,035 times
I am only familiar with Dollar Tree, which I think is great. They oftentimes have name-brand products like M&Ms and Bandaid bandages. They probably get some remainders or unsold inventory. Also, in the main, ALL they're products ARE $1. As has been mentioned Dollar General and even those generic "dollar" stores in strip malls, will have most products at $1 but too many at $1.49 or $2. Dollar General should be called "$5 General AND up."

Old 10-25-2016, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,047 times
Do you help in construction of new store building with your frenchise..- Devendra

Old 10-27-2016, 10:44 PM

8,353 posts, read 7,510,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Dollar General, IIRC, was purchased by KKR. KKR has a habit of taking a successful operation, ripping it apart and make a profit while trashing it. Skip that one. Let it die in peace.

Family Dollar - eh, not impressed with them.

Dollar Tree - of the bunch, these seem to have the cleaner stores and a decent line of product, along with a better staff.

The high volume low profit per item model has inherent issues. A really good independent 99 cent store in Florida went belly up even with lots of people buying cartloads of stuff.

If I was going into the market, I would combine it with a produce or farmer's market operation. The standard supermarkets are pricing fresh vegetables and fruits out of reach and making a killing while doing so. There is a lot of potential going for second tier and blemished items if you can get turnover high enough to limit spoilage.
Dollar General has been building lots of stores and then offering sale leasebacks on them. And this is all over the country.

If a company is doing something like sale leasebacks almost on a wholesale scale, is it an indicator for something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or