U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:42 AM

1,269 posts, read 3,518,487 times

Advertisements

Just got a DM and I thought I'll post the links here in case others are also interested.

Quote:
Here are the tradeshows taking place in NY and LV
that one could attend or get a list of the suppliers and collect merchandise samples

FN Platform
Las vegas Convention Centre - 2010 February 16 - 18
http://www.fnplatform.com/

FFANY - Fashion Footwear Assoc of NY
Hilton NY Hotel - 2010 February 2-4
http://ffany.org/index.php/for-exhibitors (broken link)

WSA
Las Vegas - Mandalay Bay Cionvention Center - 2010 Februar 2-4
http://krf68.zenfolio.com/p4669273/h2fb60816#h3b10126b
Closedouts - interesting to check out what are not selling

About TDW: Salvage, surplus, department store closeout merchandise - Call TDW: 1-800-946-8736 or 1- 954-746-8000.

Liquidation Wholesale Closeouts Surplus Goods & Salvage Merchandise Warehouse - Call LiquidationMerchandise.com: 1-800-574-5304.

Last edited by dougie86; 02-07-2010 at 12:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 10:34 PM

497 posts, read 1,337,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
BTW, why reinvent the wheel. There are some established outlets, SOMEWHERE that have a tired, disgusted or just ready to call it a day owner, or the widow of a late owner. That's who you should be going to work for with a plan to buy him/her out in a year or so. That's how I bought my first company, in a trade I had no interest in until I got into it.

golfgod
Start ups fail. Your's probably will. Buy a business that is already making money. This is all great advice from golfgod.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,031 times
Default wholesale distributors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
message me if you want some possible wholesale sources for shoes

Hi,

I know this posting was a while ago but I was still interested in some wholesale distributors if you know any.

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 PM

11,890 posts, read 13,780,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterday05 View Post
I am trying to open a shoe store that sells both men and women shoes. I am looking to sell footwear from various sneaker brands to business footwear brands. However, I am having a hard time finding a shoe distributor directory of any kind. I have searched online with no success. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know but, I would really appreciate it if someone can give some suggestions on finding a wholesale shoe distributor in the NY/NJ area or even a some names of distributors????

I have a neighbor that just closed a landmark shoe store that his father opened 40+ years ago. INTERNET destroyed the brick and mortar shoe store. Zapatos.com simply crushed their margins and they couldn't compete. His store was huge, on the busiest street but the rent was brutal and the shrinking margins just made it unprofitable.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,087,174 times
if i were going to open a shoe/footwear shop, id be different than anyone else

id offer a free pedicure,,,,for any purchase of shoe/sneaker... or a discount on a pedicure- have one before you buy the shoe/footwear, when trying on new shoes, feet that feel better will like the feel of a new shoe ten times better than if feet that are hurting you..

id also have trade-ins, and sell/donate the used shoes (clean em,,somehow)
to donate the trade ins -is a feel-good effort for the community.

id also be selling socks, a good tie-in also, footbaths, , all things foot related

"Happy-Feet" would be a good name,,,,anyone and everyone can sell shoes, but we are a Happy Feet store

Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,777 times
Default SHoe wholesalers information

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
message me if you want some possible wholesale sources for shoes
Hi,

I am interested in information about shoe wholesalers. Will be glad if you can forward same to me.

Thanks

Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,502 posts, read 59,240,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I have a neighbor that just closed a landmark shoe store that his father opened 40+ years ago. INTERNET destroyed the brick and mortar shoe store. Zapatos.com simply crushed their margins and they couldn't compete. His store was huge, on the busiest street but the rent was brutal and the shrinking margins just made it unprofitable.
I would also question the wisdom of opening a shoe store, after seeing many of them go under in the last 5-10 years. Concerned parents still go to Stride Rite stores for their toddlers because they want to get a perfect fit, and don't mind paying more for the quality, but the online show vendors from Amazon to the same wholesalers that you would buy from offer good prices and often free shipping. Most people after about age 18 wear the same size the rest of their life, so don't need fitting. For example I have been 10-1/2 since about 1970 and have never had a problem buying that size online.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 AM

8,528 posts, read 7,589,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I'd say that you are maybe a YEAR away from doing anything! Let's face it, the fact that you don't even know where to buy your inventory means that you have a long way to go. I'd suggest getting a JOB in the trade, otherwise you'll never know what's what in the trade.

Actually here are some ideas;

1. Find and subscribe to any and all trade journals, Cahners and a couple of other companies publish journals for EVERY industry.

2. Through those journals start attending local, regional and national trade shows.

3. Learn who's who in the trade.

4. Find our how many "steps" there are in the "normal" distribution chain.

5. Learn what the REAL PRICES are. If you think it's something published on a price sheet, or online YOU WILL BE OVERPAYING FOR YOUR INVENTORY. The real deal is going to be some discount from the "price sheet.

Armed with this and a MINIMUM OF ONE YEAR working in the trade you should be ready to consider jumping in on your own. And that is assuming that you are a real quick study.

BTW, why reinvent the wheel. There are some established outlets, SOMEWHERE that have a tired, disgusted or just ready to call it a day owner, or the widow of a late owner. That's who you should be going to work for with a plan to buy him/her out in a year or so. That's how I bought my first company, in a trade I had no interest in until I got into it.

golfgod
How much trade secrets can you learn in a year as an employee? I would think you have to move up into management to get the juicey details.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
betterday05, I DM you info on 2 trade events in February to be held in NYC and LV.
Here is a story that will interest many. So don't talk yourself out of doing something before you even try.

How did this lady know how to make a shoe?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 AM

I dont think Reed Hastings ever worked at a blockbusters, or Jeff Bezos ever worked at an online distributor of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or