Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:12 AM

23,533 posts, read 69,959,736 times

Advertisements

"the location i have in mind is near one high school and a middle school "

You really, REALLY don't want to do this. I worked on 167th St and 163rd St in North Miami for a while and almost ALL the restaurants and fast food places either banned students completely or had severe restrictions on them. Once they find they have a place that allows them to hang out, it becomes a meeting place where they crowd out paying customers and discourage others from even getting out of a car. I won't go into what happens when gangs get involved. You are far better getting a franchise where there are a number of local businesses and you can grab the lunch crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,367,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
A friend of my mothers would disagree with you on this one.

While subway franchisees do ok financially, its usually because they usually own multiple franchises. I heard (yes, take it as a "I heard" posting) that her average Subway franchise pulls in about $25K a year after all of the overhead is paid, which means one would need 4-5 of them to make a decent living.

In my opinion, (and again, yes its my opinion), the return isnt worth the type of investment required and the amount of work involved.
It's true you need to own multiple subways to have a large cash flow (if run properly). However, compared to other sub franchises, Subway is probably the best (financially speaking).

Old 01-29-2010, 05:34 PM

41 posts, read 60,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"the location i have in mind is near one high school and a middle school "

You really, REALLY don't want to do this. I worked on 167th St and 163rd St in North Miami for a while and almost ALL the restaurants and fast food places either banned students completely or had severe restrictions on them. Once they find they have a place that allows them to hang out, it becomes a meeting place where they crowd out paying customers and discourage others from even getting out of a car. I won't go into what happens when gangs get involved. You are far better getting a franchise where there are a number of local businesses and you can grab the lunch crowd.
Real Good point, Thank you.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:25 PM

16,365 posts, read 30,079,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Probably because Subway has a decent track record of putting bread in the franchisee's pockets.
They have a better record of putting money into the FRANCHISOR'S pocket.

There are two franchises within 100 yards in this Chicagoland suburb and neither is generating much businesses. The area is way over saturated.

I would not invest a dime in a franchise unless I had significant geographic control (ala Big Boy in the old days).

Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,933,684 times
If I got into a fast food franchise I'd try for one in a downtown food court in an office building - & have breakfast and lunch offerings. Higher rent - but predictable traffic, better crowd, shorter hours, and no weekends.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:11 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,849,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
They have a better record of putting money into the FRANCHISOR'S pocket.

There are two franchises within 100 yards in this Chicagoland suburb and neither is generating much businesses. The area is way over saturated.

I would not invest a dime in a franchise unless I had significant geographic control (ala Big Boy in the old days).
I've seen 3 Starbucks at 3 corners of the same junction, and 4 ABCs in the same hotel complex.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 PM

50,026 posts, read 63,359,544 times
Why do you need to pay for a franchise to figure out how to make a sandwich?

Old 01-29-2010, 07:35 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,636,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Better question is, why do you assume that learning how to make a sandwich is the only reason to buy a franchise?

If I were to buy a franchise, I'd want one with enough cash flow to make it worthwhile for me to hire a manager to run the store. Let the manager deal with the day-to-day BS, and collect whatever is left over. All the while making random spot checks to keep things in line, of course. Being an hourly wage slave is one thing, it's a whole other bag of chips to be the general manager. Who wants to work 12-16 hour, 7 day work weeks for a salary that barely cracks into the middle-class layer? I don't know why anyone would want to go through life being married to a fast food joint.

I'd buy a franchise, save up some cash and build up a resume, start another franchise to be run independently of its owner, rinse and repeat. Before long you could be raking in six figures while being on vacation 10 months out of the year.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:40 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,367,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Marketing (TVs, Radios, Magazines, Sponsorships, Website)

Manuals (Training, Company policies etc)

Vendors (Good prices, Trusted vendors)

BRAND NAME

...there's a lot more than making a sandwich...

...there are many great cooks, but most CANNOT run a business or manage employees...

Old 01-29-2010, 10:43 PM

26,127 posts, read 48,749,174 times
You couldn't pay me to be in the fast food biz. The big firms have you on a treadmill to make money -- for THEM.

My nephew and his wife worked for Pizza Hut for years, as managers, not franchisees. All they got were lots of hollow promises, long hours, no advancement, no respect, and anti-semitism to boot. They've long since gone elsewhere, to their great satisfaction. The competition in fast food is fierce, almost impossible to make any money when you sell pizza's or footlong subs for $5 or bust your butt making the "dollar menu" work.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business