Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,484 times

Advertisements

I am sure that all of us few times a day are checking personal emails, doing some personal calls and searching few sites that are not allowed to use by the company's policy.

But again, some of us when at home tend to log in to company's network and work.

So here is the question, is it ok to do personal stuff while on payclock? Is it ok to work after you punched out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:04 PM

77 posts, read 238,387 times
not ok

Old 04-01-2010, 06:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,625,566 times
nope... just get your own laptop and bring it to work. Most larger companies log what sites you visit and do automated searches for xrated sites & even entertainment like youtube & hulu. In this economic climate you don't want to give your managers any excuse to let you go.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,296,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
nope... just get your own laptop and bring it to work. Most larger companies log what sites you visit and do automated searches for xrated sites & even entertainment like youtube & hulu. In this economic climate you don't want to give your managers any excuse to let you go.
If you plug that personal laptop to the company's network, its still using their resources.... and they can still see where you go. And that in itself can be a IT violation (you could introduce malicious code or steal information).

Bottom line - read the company's policy. Most will allow for "occasional" use for personal matters. But most will prohibit personal business (as in sending out mass emails to your Tupperware party or filling orders for your Avon sales). I think most understand that you will need to tend to personal matters at work - what they're trying to curb is the abuse of business resources.

And there may be two policies - your HR policy as well as your IT or Information Security policy. If they contradict each other, bring that up to your HR partner.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:26 PM

273 posts, read 700,795 times
No, on your time you do anything you want, on company time you do what they want and go by the rules.

If they let you, then great

Old 04-02-2010, 01:31 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,488,883 times
I have a slightly different answer. It depends what you do and what your agreement is with your boss.

At my job, I get no breaks during the day other than a lunch break. So if I occasionally need to make a personal call or check on something online at work during a slow time, my boss is totally fine with that. The fact that I work for my parents is, of course, also a contributing factor there. Because its mom and dad's company, I also am allowed to use the fax machine, copy machine and scanner if needed for personal use. Yay for family businesses.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:35 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,976,185 times
Its not ok but everyone does it. I mean, if you need to fax something important are you really going to drive to Kinko's during your break or wait til you get home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business