Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 02:56 PM

27 posts, read 90,399 times

Advertisements

I will be going to an interview later this week for a (much needed) job, and they have informed me to come prepared with an answer to how to attract more customers without lowering prices.

Does anyone have some ideas I could consider?

By the way, the job is for a neighborhood pub as a bartender.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 10:01 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Tell them to pizz on their business plan. Ask them if they had heard that we are in depression times and EVERYONE is lowering prices to compete. If not then they will bite the dust like so many other GREEDY businesses.

A Bartender? Since when is it your job to find business? If for some nutty reason I can not comprehend.... then you bringing in new business should reward you with commission or a percentage of profits.

This is the same thing as any retail store requiring the Cashier to bring in new business.

If you don't like my expert advice then tell this clown to bring in go-go girls. That my friend will bring in business. Topless Bartenders would do the trick too. Sex sells even during depression times such as these.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:07 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times
better to say something related to what you can do. from you it would have to be better service. are they on yelp? it would be interesting to read their reviews.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:23 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlandry View Post

Does anyone have some ideas I could consider?
Keep looking.......

If they can't figure it out, it doesn't sound like they'll be around for long. Also, don't forget that bars and restaurants have the highest failure rates of any business. Don't waste your time if you can help it.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:10 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
better to say something related to what you can do. from you it would have to be better service. are they on yelp? it would be interesting to read their reviews.
Only helpful post in this thread, so far. Good insight, as well.

In addition to better service, you could focus on being a source of entertainment for customers. If you can put on a show behind the bar or keep the patrons engaged in some other way, you'll attract business.

In my opinion, the people lashing out at the pub for asking potential bartenders this question are way off base. It shows me that the pub management actually cares about the input of employees and is looking for more than a robot who can mix drinks and tap a keg. Perhaps that's the reason this pub is hiring instead of locking the doors...

Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
Collectively (which is not the same as *individually*), customers are idiots, plain and simple. All you need to do is give the appearance of a lower price without actually lowering it. Think shrunken boxes of cereal. Or look at what the airlines do.

Two competing airlines on a given route try and market their service. Airline A advertises a base fare of $149. But that doesn't include taxes, surcharges, luggage, a can of soda, a window seat, etc. Actual net cost of the ticket comes to $200.

Airline B advertises a base fare of $189. But it INCLUDES the aforementioned taxes, extras, and so forth.

Guess what?

Airline A will win the sale 100% of the time. Hands down. No questions asked. As long as the "base fare" is lower (even if only in appearance), that's where everyone will go to first. Even though it ACTUALLY costs the same or more than a comparable albeit all inclusive fare, the perception of a lower fare will be what wins the public over.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:48 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Collectively (which is not the same as *individually*), customers are idiots, plain and simple. All you need to do is give the appearance of a lower price without actually lowering it. Think shrunken boxes of cereal. Or look at what the airlines do.

Two competing airlines on a given route try and market their service. Airline A advertises a base fare of $149. But that doesn't include taxes, surcharges, luggage, a can of soda, a window seat, etc. Actual net cost of the ticket comes to $200.

Airline B advertises a base fare of $189. But it INCLUDES the aforementioned taxes, extras, and so forth.

Guess what?

Airline A will win the sale 100% of the time. Hands down. No questions asked. As long as the "base fare" is lower (even if only in appearance), that's where everyone will go to first. Even though it ACTUALLY costs the same or more than a comparable albeit all inclusive fare, the perception of a lower fare will be what wins the public over.
That is all very true......which proves how dumb the consumer really is using your words. But it still does not speak to the fact that an employee Bartender has no responsibility to find business unless it's part of the employment contract which will include a commission or a %

Too bad the OP will never come back to tell us what happened.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:56 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Any bar call sell a commodity at a given price ... so, if the clientele is looking for the lowest price per beverage, then that's what they'll go for.

But many customers attach value to intagibles which can cost little but create atmosphere that brings them in to one establishment instead of others ...

What have you got to offer? a good sense of gab, great stories, a sympathetic ear? knowledge of stuff that the pub is themed on (like sports, or local lore, or?)?

You're "selling" you to the owners and the clientele ... much the same as cocktail waitresses, waitstaff, and others promote themselves for better tips and more sales ....

Old 03-29-2010, 03:13 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
But it still does not speak to the fact that an employee Bartender has no responsibility to find business unless it's part of the employment contract which will include a commission or a %
That's not necessarily true. An employee has any responsibilities that he/she and the employer agree upon. There doesn't have to be a contract or a commission split, though that can sometimes be part of the equation.

If I was the owner of this pub, I would certainly be asking potential bartenders similar questions. Anyone who told me they had no such responsibilities would quickly be dismissed from the interview process. As would anyone who was told in advance to prep for that question and showed up with nothing.

I really don't understand why people are focused so much on what this job's responsibilities should be. The OP understands what is required in this interview and apparently has no problem with the pub asking the question. Why not focus on constructive ideas that might actually help him/her land a job that he/she said is much needed?

Old 03-29-2010, 04:09 PM

27 posts, read 90,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Too bad the OP will never come back to tell us what happened.
Uhm, it's been like 24hrs? I don't sit by my computer.

Anyways, I liked the suggestion about advertising the appearance of a lower price without actually lowering it, I've noticed other bars doing this. I also realized that this bar does not have their own webpage, so that has been added to my list of things to mention. I do realize the employers probable main intention with this question is for the generic "go getter" response that "I'll get customer with my super awesome attitude and energy," I was just hoping to come in with something more then just that.

I was also hoping for ideas more along the lines of "events" I know this bar has an annual "pjs party" but has anyone ever come across or attended a party/event at a bar that you thought that idea was really creative or got a lot of attention? Basically some fresh new ideas.

Also to make clear, yes it is just a bartending job. I've been unemployed since October, and have previous bar management on my resume, so if a bar wants my input on how to up business but can only offer me a bartending job, I'm not exactly going to be like "oh my god, I need commission then."

Last edited by emlandry; 03-29-2010 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business