Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,172 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

hope you are having a great day. Do you think that taking investment assistance from guys who we meet online is a good choice while starting a small business?

David!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 PM

764 posts, read 1,556,699 times
What do you mean by investment assistance? Are you talking about advice or are you talking about possible investors? Are they assisting you with money?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,682 posts, read 57,964,398 times
Take investment assistance from anybody that will offer it (at reasonable rates) if you are starting a small business. Banks aren't even willing to lend 'start-up' capital.

BE CAREFUL with private lenders, use an attorney to validate terms. You don't want a predatory lender eating your lunch / house / first born.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,172 times
Guys,

thanks for your replies. I was talking about this.

Recently I've started a small online news release center, where web-masters are allowed to submit their announcements, updates and other web related or online news. At the beginning there wasn't any investment requirements as all I needed was a hosting and a proper domain name.

But a few months later, I could see that, the service is growing beyond my expectations and It was sure that if I put more effort and time on it that'd bring smiling $$s to my pocket. At that time I met a guy online and he showed his interest on this. He was ready to put a few hundreds to take it to the next level and it was going great.

But now there is some bugs between us and he is asking it back, which I'm ready to give. But this is not my exact problem. I'm planning to establish a physical address for this service by taking an own office and some staff. And I don't have much to invest as I just finished my masters. So from those who had shown interest previously, I may invite some funds to build this. All these guys are my online relations, and hence I fear whether the same thing happen again .

What do you think?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm23 View Post
Guys,

thanks for your replies. I was talking about this.

Recently I've started a small online news release center, where web-masters are allowed to submit their announcements, updates and other web related or online news. At the beginning there wasn't any investment requirements as all I needed was a hosting and a proper domain name.

But a few months later, I could see that, the service is growing beyond my expectations and It was sure that if I put more effort and time on it that'd bring smiling $$s to my pocket. At that time I met a guy online and he showed his interest on this. He was ready to put a few hundreds to take it to the next level and it was going great.

But now there is some bugs between us and he is asking it back, which I'm ready to give. But this is not my exact problem. I'm planning to establish a physical address for this service by taking an own office and some staff. And I don't have much to invest as I just finished my masters. So from those who had shown interest previously, I may invite some funds to build this. All these guys are my online relations, and hence I fear whether the same thing happen again .

What do you think?
Confused.

So these online people-are they offering advice or funds (or both)?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,682 posts, read 57,964,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm23 View Post

What do you think?
I think your master's was not in english composition or business. (At least I HOPE not).

For this LOW capital requirement, I would 'self-fund' via a part-time job or family.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:09 PM

764 posts, read 1,556,699 times
I would aggree with stealthrabbit for several reasons. I'm not sure if the money assistance would be a loan or a partnership, but i would strongly dissuade you against a partnership. Especially if it is for such a low amount. If this business has a lot of potential then a partnership could cost you a lot in the end. I wouldn't use a loan either because debt would add unnecessary risk. If it is an online business, do you have advertizing? I dont know much about online stuff but isn't that where the real money is. P.S. Going into business with friends usually ends friendships and causes more problems than it is worth. Do it all yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business