Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 01:49 PM

210 posts, read 708,124 times

Advertisements

Calgary - these views are my opinion, not fact

A smaller newer city with a population of 1.2 million set in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

Business: Oil & Gas, Construction, Oil & Gas & Oil & Gas & Oil & Gas.

Salaries: The Oil & Gas industry typically pays a lot more then other industries. A brand new Administrative Assistant can make $25.00. A brand new Engineer can make $80,000. You do not need a university degree to earn a good income in Calgary. I know plenty of people who earn $100,000 with out a degree. That being said, if you have an Engineering or Geologist degree, you will enjoy a great income. There are lots of jobs here. But note…money can come easy, and it can go fast. Be sure to put a little into savings for a rainy day(s).

Where to live: Suburban quadrants of the city. From most expensive to least expensive
  • SW - most expensive
  • NW -
  • SE -
  • NE – least expensive

Downtown & Central: Lots of condo’s & pockets of culture. Mission & Sunnyside seem to be the most popular choices for dt living.

Houses in Calgary on average are $450,000, some much higher, some much lower. Property taxes remain low, although I’m sure like anywhere they will go up! If I could live anywhere in Calgary, it would be Discovery Ridge, SW Calgary.

Weather:
Calgary has 4 seasons – this is Canada, we are all cold in the winter
“If you don’t like the weather, wait 5 minutes”

Positives & Negative (you decide): Calgary gets a bad reputation for weather, mostly from people who have never lived here. Yes, winter temperatures hit prairie lows, but due to the dry climate it doesn’t feel as cold as minus 15 feels in central Canada. Lack of humidity plays a huge part the actual “feeling” of temperatures.

Calgary is blessed and cursed by its proximity to the Mountains. Calgary experiences Chinooks in the winter which can warm the temperature up drastically, but can also cause the temperatures to change frequently. I remember one December we had record breaking temperatures of +24 Celsius. Calgary may be cold in the winter, but the sun is usually shining. If you hate the weather, don’t live here.

Calgary’s cuture: New, young, athletic, corporate and only western for 10 days in July (Stampede). And no, we don’t not dress like cowboys throughout the year.

Calgary is multicultural. People from all over the world are moving here.

Transportation: Calgary has a light rail transportation system. Not the best, not the worst.

In Conclusion: If you are looking for a place to live where you can easily get a well paying job, enjoy the outdoors - Calgary may be right for you. If you are looking for a big city with a night scene, historical buildings – Calgary is not for you. Our population is small-ish and family orientated. Don’t compare Calgary to the other “big” cities in Canada. It’s not big or old enough to compare to Vancouver, Montréal and Toronto…and that’s not a bad thing. There are many beautiful places to live in Canada. My motto is, you don’t have to put another city down to love your own.

Overall, I like it here. But I’m saving up to move to Maui. : )

Please feel free ask me any questions.

(Not sure where to post this, but this is a message to the mods.. Can a separate folder be made for Calgary or Alberta at the top next to Vancouver? Yes, Calgary is much smaller in size, but many people are moving to Alberta for work and collection of information could be valuable. Thanks!)

Last edited by Joules21; 08-18-2011 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Wanted to give my full opinion of Calgary.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:59 PM

14 posts, read 24,226 times
I think Calgary needs to be added in a sub-folder in the Canada forum....the city is big enough, and enough people are moving here that it could be useful.

An Alberta forum, at the very least.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:36 PM

378 posts, read 707,534 times
I'd favor an Alberta subforum, to cover both Calgary and Edmonton. Or a Prairies subforum also including SK and MB.

Good post, I like Calgary a lot.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:03 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
I'm intrigued by Calgary and hoping to find recruiters to get a feel for IT jobs

Old 08-18-2011, 08:13 PM

14 posts, read 24,226 times
I think someone needs to at least inform the mods.....wouldn't hurt, worst they say is no.
With a total population of 6,000,000, the prairies represents almost 20% of our Canadian population. Worth noting is the influx of people from other provinces and around the world as well.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:14 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Mod Note:

City Data administration keeps a close eye on subjects and the number of posts they generate. New sub forums are added as traffic numbers warrant.

No disrespect to Calgary or Alberta, but the current traffic numbers hardly justify a sub forum -- 2 of the 20 most recent threads make reference to Calgary or Alberta.

It's not exactly an overwhelming amount of discussion.

However, members are more than welcome to petition the Administrator in About the Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.