Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 04:16 PM

39 posts, read 60,988 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I've been searching to relocate and my family just encourgaged me to look into Alberta. I'm an Candaina but have been living in California for 25 years. I'm a certified English teacher with a Masters and credential as well as a competitive Equestrian (eventing). Any input as to regular and teaching jobs in Calgary or in gerenal for Alberta? Does anyone know what the singles scene is there? I wopuld have to rent, transfer my ceredntial and find a place to ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 06:45 AM

210 posts, read 707,877 times
I can't provide you with any info about teaching, but here is the board of education website. Not sure if they are hiring teachers right now...they always seem to be cutting back. Calgary Board of Education

As for rent in Calgary, it can be pricey.. here is the local renters website. Calgary Apartments, Rentals | Calgary Homes For Rent | House Rentals - RentFaster.ca

All the best.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:06 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,859,904 times
This may be pertinent .
Alberta Education - Teachers

I didn't try very hard, but it seems like there are tons of info for new immigrants and hardly any for Canadians who are coming home.

"Moving Back to Canada"
Service Canada - Canadians Abroad

2 temporary and part-time positions @$16/hr
http://www.ccis-calgary.ab.ca/upload..._Assistant.pdf
http://www.ccis-calgary.ab.ca/upload...Technician.pdf

Not sure if the rest will be of any use to you.
I don't want to spam this forum.
So please check you PM.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:42 PM

Thanks soo much! What about regular jobs and general economy? What are the outlying areas like (more rural ect )for housing?
Ok for 36yrs single female?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:43 PM

I pay 900 bucks a months for a 400 square foot studio which is out in a rural and not so great area in Santa Cruz, Ca.....it sounds better there....

Old 08-21-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher/equestrian View Post
What about regular jobs and general economy?
You need to contact
- Alberta Education - How to Apply
Quote:
North American - for individuals who have completed a teacher preparation program outside of Alberta but within Canada or the United States
- Calgary Board of Education - Careers

Old 08-21-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher/equestrian View Post
I pay 900 bucks a months for a 400 square foot studio which is out in a rural and not so great area in Santa Cruz, Ca.....it sounds better there....
It is hard to answer this question. Can I assume that you have never been to Calgary? If so, here is my 2 cents about the place. Hope this will help you to narrow down where you want to live.

Calgary community map
http://www.calgary.ca/CS/IIS/Documen...munity_map.pdf

Calgary Transit: Calgary's Light Rail Transit Line

SAIT (Coming to SAIT - International Students - English Language Foundations - ELF Overview)
- Capitol Hill,
- Banff Trail,
- Brentwood,
- Dalhousie
- others
Say, if you teach over-aged adults English at SAIT, it will be nice to live not too far from your place of work.

North-west Calgary

- Brentwood
- Dalhousie
- Edgemont
- Varsity
nice neighborhoods, expensive properties, reasonable rental apartments
view of Nose Hill mountain
transport convenient (hwys 2, 201 & Crowchild Trail NW, C-Train)
Sir Winston Churchill High School (an IB world school)

- Beddington
- Huntington
- Sanstone
good school district(s), nice neighborhoods, lots of rental housing, transport convenient

- Bowness
school rankings, both elementary & high schools, not as good
this is pertinent, as families tend to gravitate to schools with better report cards

North-east Calgary
ethnic neighborhoods
good places to get your spices and curries

South-west Calgary
scenic view, good access to hwys, public transport, C-Train

- 26 Ave SW
lots of apartments

- Glenbrook
you can find nice row/townhouses

central portion of SW, close to C-Train
- Canyon Meadows
- Haysboro
- Southwoood
properties in Southwood are less expensive; also row/townhouses

further away fro C-Train are
- Braeside
- Cedarbrae
- Woodbine
- Woodlands
good school district(s)

others, more exclusive, are
- Pump Hill
- Palliser
- Oakridge
- Lakeview

South-east
lots of industrial centers
easy to find rental condos
public transport less frequent
some parts are within walking distance to C-Train

Downtown

Old 08-22-2011, 02:20 PM

Wow! Thanks I've been going back and forth between moving to Toronto and Calgary/Edmonton. I went to Alberta once but not to the citites. My whole family is in Toronto but I'm worried about jobs and singles scene there. At the same side worried about what I've read on the blogs about Alberta. I come from a very liberal town in California (too liberal really), and I live in a small surfer town. I get isolated here but really am a country gal. I'm wondering if Caledon/Orangville in GTA would be the same as Calagary area only smaller. Are people friendly in Calgary?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM

SAIT looks great-no English instructor positions. But this is what I've noticed-lots of big 'compaies' with lots of jobs......Agrium seems to have tons of jobs too......

Old 08-22-2011, 04:08 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,280,740 times
Look into Mount Royal University as well. As far as equestrian goes, it doesn't come much better than Spruce Meadows.

Spruce Meadows Official Website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary