Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 05:33 PM

9 posts, read 70,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinmymoney View Post
I live 6 blocks from 17th ave SW.

There are a few new ones to check out, mostly between 17th ave and Downtown. One is the montana I think? You looking to buy?

I would suggest this: rent for 6 months in the beltline area or Mission. The "strip" along 17th ave and 4th street sw is your best best for nightlife and something resembling a social circle.

After that, decide what your next move is.

personally I would stick to these areas, traffic be dam8ed.
Thanks for the information. Really helpful! I have done some research and have scratched the East Village off my list. I will be staying west of the riverbank and will be renting for a year. Like you said, I want to get a feel for the areas first before I decide to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 AM

28 posts, read 102,126 times
Mission: This is an area dominated almost entirely by upscale dining establishments. The area's dining is very good, but for the most part it's expensive. Outside of restaurants, the area has little else. The rising rents have chased out many of the "common man" places (outside of Ducky's pub). If you live in Mission, live south of 21st Ave as past that it gets seedier. Mission is VERY expensive and decent rentals are almost impossible to find.

Beltline: This is the area between 10th Ave and 17th Ave & 14th Street SW and 3 Street SE. The centre & west side are safer than the east side. The east end has issues with addiction & street prostitution (notably along 15th Ave). 17th Ave is part of this & the better area is between 5th street & 12th street. If you don't mind prostitution & the street people, 1st SW between 15th and 12th is a lively area but has it's issues. It's currently being gentrified.

East Village: Formerly the "hood" and now being gentrified. At the moment, it's mostly empty fields & will take 5+ years to improve.

Lower Mount Royal: The area just south of 17th Ave from 6th Street to 14th Street. A nice area overall and close to 17th Ave.

Marda Loop: About 2 kms from downtown and a village in a city. Marda is a lively place & somewhat upscale now. If you like urban life but without the homeless people & other issues, this is the place to go. The area is serviced by frequent bus service to get you downtown & back.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:57 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,123 times
Don't kid yourself, the East Village is still the "hood" and seedy... When the East Village gentrifies watch the seediness migrate to Inglewood or Bridgeland.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:07 AM

28 posts, read 102,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Don't kid yourself, the East Village is still the "hood" and seedy... When the East Village gentrifies watch the seediness migrate to Inglewood or Bridgeland.
I was in the East Village last night. It's hardly a seedy place, the sidewalks aren't brimming with people but they're wide, well lit and safe. Compare this to 5 years ago when it looked like an outdoor homeless shelter.

If the homeless are going to migrate anywhere it will be the East Beltline & the Stampede grounds. It certainly won't be Inglewood. Inglewood has no bottle depot, no cheap liquor store & lacks the support services for the homeless. Same for Bridgeland & much of it is on a hill. For starters it's too hard to push a shopping cart up a hill. That's why Marda Loop doesn't have homeless folk.

The gentrification of the East Village will simply spread the homeless around downtown. That's exactly what happened when the Cecil closed it's doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary