Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:24 PM

9 posts, read 70,605 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a young professional that will be relocating to Calgary from Toronto for work in April. I'm 27, single and looking for a place downtown that has a decent nightlife (bars, restaurants, etc) where I can develop my social network. I will be working just south of Calgary (73rd ave se) and driving to work and would like to keep the commute time to under 25-30 minutes each way.

Based on my research, I have narrowed my search for condo rentals to the following areas:
-Victoria Park
-Connaught
-East Village
-Mission
-Riverfront Ave and 3rd st se (not sure what the area is called)

Are there any other areas you guys can suggest and let me know if the ones above will fit my description. I'm looking for a condo with underground parking and a fitness centre (highrise?) So any names of condos you can suggest would also be awesome!

Thanks,
Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 07:07 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,583 times
Definitely Mission would be the best place for your criteria. Around 17th Avenue would be the best. 17th Avenue is where all the nightlife is at and all he restaurants. and entertainment. There are a lot of nice condos and apartments around that area but I heard they were expensive. In my opinion I think Mission is the best area to live in Calgary. It's right next to downtown, Shopping, and Stanley Park. I think it would be the best area live for you.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:43 AM

210 posts, read 708,016 times
I agree, Mission would be a great spot for you. Lots of little shops and cafes.

As of right now, don't move to the East Village. It's set for a revamp, but that won't happen for another decade I'm sure.

Welcome to Calgary! (PS - don't be surprised with the snowfall in April)

Old 01-25-2012, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the information guys. I have actually been to Calgary a few times because my previous employer had a regional office there so I am well aware of the weather

That said, I seem to be having a hard time finding a newer condo building to rent in in Mission. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Also, I noticed a couple of nice condo buildings in the Riverfront and 3rd Street SE area (River Pointe condos?). Is that still considered East Village? Would you guys suggest against it?

Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:10 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Riverfront and 3rd has nice condos, but lots of homeless (the drop in centre is right there) and no amenities.

Mission is great, and would be the preferred choice if it were me, but there is zero chance of making it from there or to there in 30 minutes to the Foothills Industrial Park.

Inglewood and Victoria park have a lack of amenities too.

Really for the lifestyle you want, your best bet is Mission, Kensington, Marda Loop and Mount Royal.

None of those win on the drive, but hey, welcome to Calgary, it sucks to drive anywhere.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the information. Are there any newer highrise condos developments you know of in the areas that you suggested?

Old 01-26-2012, 02:44 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
You'll find a distinct lack of highrise condo/apartments in Calgary. There's newer places in all three areas, probably the greatest concentration in Mission.

Single family is still the predominant housing type in town, and where the high density apartments are going, there are really few amenities. Mostly the East and West ends of Downtown, and places like Victoria Park. It is getting better along 17Ave SW towards Mount Royal though.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:13 PM

47 posts, read 86,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludetuner View Post
Thanks for the information. Are there any newer highrise condos developments you know of in the areas that you suggested?
I live 6 blocks from 17th ave SW.

There are a few new ones to check out, mostly between 17th ave and Downtown. One is the montana I think? You looking to buy?

I would suggest this: rent for 6 months in the beltline area or Mission. The "strip" along 17th ave and 4th street sw is your best best for nightlife and something resembling a social circle.

After that, decide what your next move is.

personally I would stick to these areas, traffic be dam8ed.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 PM

47 posts, read 86,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludetuner View Post
Thanks for the information guys. I have actually been to Calgary a few times because my previous employer had a regional office there so I am well aware of the weather

That said, I seem to be having a hard time finding a newer condo building to rent in in Mission. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Also, I noticed a couple of nice condo buildings in the Riverfront and 3rd Street SE area (River Pointe condos?). Is that still considered East Village? Would you guys suggest against it?

Thanks again.
Please stay away from East Village. that area is about 10 years from full development. Also stay to the south of the riverbank to avoid traffic. (so no-no to kenisgnton).

Old 02-03-2012, 10:36 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,123 times
As a single guy, definitely stay in the Beltline or Mission (they are connected)... Inglewood and Marda Loop are more for the stroller set and Inglewood doesn't even have a grocery store.

Mission is great if you work "in the south." (as Calgarians would say)

Tip: make sure you ask what the parking situation is like at each place you check out... Calgary is one of those cities where City Hall tries to get people to use transit via planning and zoning restrictions for esoteric reasons but then forgets to fund public transit sufficiently... Parking is incredibly expensive, tight and limited for the small town that Calgary essentially is...

If looking to buy a condo, quality is a concern everywhere in the city... Fly by night boomtown contractors plus very passive inspection process will do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary