Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 07:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,122,154 times

Advertisements

Obviously Calgary stampede is one of Calgary's big events Does the continuing death of horses in the Chuck wagon races give Calgarians the idea that this part of the stampede should be ended.Many here in the east think it to be rather deadly to horses ,what do Calgarians think?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 04:16 PM

I thought it might be a controversial subject in Calgary with all the animal rights activists up in arms and most other media outlets having the deaths of the horses one of the top news stories..but i guess the story is just another day at the office in Calgary.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:08 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,235,253 times
It's absolutely unfortunate, and ultimately will cause the end of the chucks. But it is a high risk sport, and accidents happen. How many horses were killed in horse racing in Ontario each year? I guarantee the number is far higher than three.

It gets so much attention because it is a big event in front of a big audience.

The only animal rights folks up in arms are those that have zero knowledge of the Chuckwagons, Stampede Park, the Calgary Humane Society or have an axe to grind. The people with oversight and control - including those that have no financial skin in the game, have no issue with how the races are run and how the participants are treated, two legged and four.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:18 AM

317 posts, read 823,504 times
The story hasn't had any play in the States. I caught it on the National tonight. I am not a Calgarian or Canadian, but it does look like it is dangerous. I have little knowledge of sport, but the track appears "busy", which I think can lead to more pile-ups. Maybe, running the races solo, like a time trial would make it safer, while preserving the sport???

Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 AM

It is unfortunate that so many horses die at this event and those of us not living in Calgary are thinking why not just end the chuck wagon races, however i was wondering what Calgarians or people closer connected with the rodeo circuit think about the issue.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:49 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,933,534 times
It's bad for image of the Stampede. The organizers have to realize (and probably do) that this isn't an event that really caters to the rodeo crowd - while it's still a major stop on the rodeo circuit, it's evolved into far more than that.

Statistically speaking, chuckwagon racing isn't any more dangerous to animals than any other equine event. However, those outside the industry generally don't see that and the media does an overall poor job of reporting on it.

If chuckwagon racing is to survive as a part of the Stampede and not be relegated to small time rodeos, they need to take positive steps to increase safety (and to be fair there have been some) and more importantly, be seen to be taking these steps.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 PM

28 posts, read 101,942 times
I suspect there is a great deal of people who do not support Chuckwagon races. What you need to realize is that saying so publicly would not be beneficial to you in Calgary. It's akin to the early days of the Iraq war. No one dared point out the "inconsistencies" with some of the data presented by the government. Will they end? I doubt it.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,415,892 times
Always thought of them as somewhat hilarious myself as they do not resemble anything like a legitimate or authentic chuck wagon which was often pulled by a single mule. The darn things only had to keep up with a slow moving herd of cattle and they were often capable of outpacing the herd with just one horse or mule to be set up and waiting for the herd to arrive at the next nights stop with a team of three horses never entering the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary