Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 44,842 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am 29 years old single male. I'm in Toronto and moving to Calgary in March this year 2014. I am a recent graduate in IT with Bachelor of computing and a certificate in Qaulity assuarance/Software Tester.

My purpose of moving to Calgary is to find a QA job(QA Analyst/Tester) in Calgary and make Calgary my home. Can anyone please give me some information about the IT job market and the life in Calgary?

1. I would like to know about IT jobs or QA in particular in Calgary, Where to apply
2. Are there more IT job openings in Calgary than Toronto?
3. How friendly the people are in Calgary?
4. Would I be able to find a survival job until I find a QA job in Calgary?
5. Do they welcome immigrants?
6. I pay 238 dollars for Auto Insuarance for a 2006 Subaru Forester. Would it be more expensive or cheaper in Calgary? Ill be driving to Calgary from Toronto.
I hope someone will see this and reply.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 AM

681 posts, read 1,560,724 times
1. Look on LInkedIn for IT openings and also do a google search for IT recruitment agencies. As a candidate there is no charge to you for their services... they make their money from the company that is looking to hire.
Microsoft in Calgary ALWAYS has job openings. Go to their website and look at the available career opportunities. Not sure if any of these would suit your particular qualifications or be of interest.

2. No idea

3. In general people are friendly here. Lots of transplants from other provinces and countries. Lots of people from SK - think this ups the friendliness factor.

4. Depends on what you mean by survival? Always jobs in warehouses in the industrial areas, lots of retail/service jobs (if you have some experience) - you could probably land something that pays between $10-$15/hr fairly easily if you are personable and have good references. Finding somewhere to live is another thing altogether. Rent is very expensive and the vacancy rates are really low. You will want to explore this BEFORE you decide to make a move.

5. Yes

6. Wow. I have never heard of auto insurance that low before! Insurance here is private (as I believe it is in Ontario) - you can just call a few companies and get no-obligation quotes. Better yet - call your current insurance provider and ask if your rate would change if you move to AB.

Good Luck!

Old 01-25-2014, 11:17 AM

Thanks a lot for the reply. I heard there are more IT job opportunities due to Oil and Gas industry in Calgary. I will definitely get in touch with IT recruitment agencies.

Yes. Insurance is private in Ontario. I heard Insurance is cheaper in Calgary. But your reply makes me feel that it could be more expensive.
However I'll call my insurance company to find out how much I have to pay in Calgary.

As a survival job(A job to pay my bills until I find a job in IT industry) I am thinking of doing a security job as I have worked for a security company in Toronto for 8 months and I have Ontario security license which I may have to convert in to Alberta.
Thanks for all information.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:39 AM

681 posts, read 1,560,724 times
Just did a real quick google search and I think you could find a security job fairly easily that pays $14-$15/hr.... possibly more?
It would be worth your while to ask your current (past?) manager at your security job for a letter of reference that you can submit along with your resume.

Once again - I can't stress this enough - look at the cost of housing in Calgary before you make your move. The vacancy rate last spring was 1.2% and the average one bedroom rental is $1000/mnth plus electricity/phone/cable... in fact you'll be hard pressed to find much below $1000/mnth here. You may want to extend your search to bedroom communities like Airdrie, Okotoks or Strathmore... not positive, but you may find some less expensive rental options?

Old 01-25-2014, 12:26 PM

Yes I can get a reference letter. That's a good point. Thanks. I did a search for security jobs in Calgary. some companies offer 17 dollars which is impossible in Toronto for a security job. That's a good sign for me.

Housing prices are similar or even more expensive in Toronto. A decent place cost 1000-1500 dollars in Toronto. Even a tiny bachelor apartment in a rough neighborhood cost more than 800$ here in Toronto. And those apartments are not even clean. Toronto has so many dirty apartments with bed bug issues. You can trust me on that.

I have another friend that wants to move to Calgary with me which i think would make things easier. So I would be looking for a 2 bedroom apartment to share with my friend in Calgary. We both will be looking for security jobs. In the meantime I will be applying for QA jobs. I Hope everything would go according to the plan.
Please send me more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary