Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 09:29 AM

35 posts, read 55,174 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

I live in Ontario, but job prospects for social workers are not good.

So, I am looking into Calgary (and maybe Edmonton) as a prospect, and I have just a few questions:

1) My research shows that housing is high. For those that live there, is it possible to get a basement

apartment for rent in a safe neighborhood for under $1000?

2) Is there good work life balance for those in their late 20s? Are there activities for this age group besides

clubs and bars?

3) Is there a general acceptance of ethnic minorities (African Canadians) in the city? I know its 2014,

but its important to ask, as I have never visited the city.

4) What are the job prospects like for social workers?

5) Are the winters significantly colder than Ontario?

Any info provided will be helpful as I decide on my next move. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 09:00 AM

681 posts, read 1,560,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTrees40 View Post
Good morning,

I live in Ontario, but job prospects for social workers are not good.

So, I am looking into Calgary (and maybe Edmonton) as a prospect, and I have just a few questions:

1) My research shows that housing is high. For those that live there, is it possible to get a basement
apartment for rent in a safe neighborhood for under $1000?

Yes it is "possible" - although the overall vacancy rate is 1% so it can be challenging to find anything at all to rent in Calgary. The average rent is $1300 for a one bedroom unit and $1500 for a 2 bedroom. Edmonton, in general, has a slightly higher vacancy rate (around 3% I think) and is about 20% less expensive..... but then you're living in Edmonton - LOL

2) Is there good work life balance for those in their late 20s? Are there activities for this age group besides clubs and bars?

There are plenty of activities for every age group in Calgary.

If you are at all athletic, the foothills and mountains are very close and provide tons of opportunity for mountain biking, hiking, kayaking in the summer and skiing, snowboarding, snow shoeing in the winter.

If you like to run or rollerblade there are great trails throughout the city and especially around the river valley. The Running Room and other businesses/organizations organize group runs/training

There are inter-mural teams for soccer/floor hockey/baseball/ ultimate etc. see this:
Calgary Sport & Social Club

There is also church. I know there are a lot of people who meet like-minded individuals at church. Centre Street church draws a varied crowd with younger individuals in the mix.
Centre Street Church
And if you're on the other side of the spectrum, there's the Centre for Inquiry:
Centre for Inquiry Calgary |

3) Is there a general acceptance of ethnic minorities (African Canadians) in the city? I know its 2014,
but its important to ask, as I have never visited the city.
Absolutely no issue here....

4) What are the job prospects like for social workers?
This is something that I can't answer. This may be a good place to look:
ACSW: Job Board

5) Are the winters significantly colder than Ontario?
YES! Winter in Calgary (and Edmonton) is from sometime in November until May.

In Calgary we typically get 4-5 chinooks every winter so we always get a bit of a break from the frigid temperatures and TYPICALLY the snow melts to reveal bare ground a few times every winter... didn't happen for the last 2 years though.

Winter is a few degrees warmer in Calgary than Edmonton, but Summer is a few degrees warmer in Edmonton than Calgary - especially in the evenings.

Any info provided will be helpful as I decide on my next move. Thanks.
See answers above

Old 05-19-2014, 02:17 PM

35 posts, read 55,174 times
Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer all of my questions. I'm glad I have been able to gather information, which will definitely help me make my next career move.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:43 PM

681 posts, read 1,560,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTrees40 View Post
Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer all of my questions. I'm glad I have been able to gather information, which will definitely help me make my next career move.
Good Luck! Hope you land something meaningful soon... keep us posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary