Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,057 times

Advertisements

Greetings fellow Calgarians and area!!

I am on the outskirts of Calgary and going to make some significant cosmetic changes to our home. I know what I like but find it hard to replicate or put into words. I have some questions and hope there are some people with that expertise on the board here that can guide me in the right direction.

Kitchen Island - presently my kitchen does not have an island. It is too narrow where the cupboards are to put one in. What I was thinking of doing is building a large island where the kitchen table would normally sit and use is as double duty - an island and also the table to eat at. Is that okay do to - or do home buyers want to see a place to put a kitchen table - regardless of having an island?? Many years ago a realtor told me that one must be able to have a clear path from the front door to the back door without any big barriers. If we put this island in - it will be a semi-permanent barrier there - but then so is the current table/chairs.

Going to have the interior painted and new flooring done. Also want to upgrade the moldings and baseboards. Changing the counter tops and back splash. I want to hire these jobs out for 2 reasons - I don't have the no how and my husband is always working so I don't have help. We have the money to spend on hiring someone so it seems like the best solution. I would love to get names of reputable flooring sales/installation companies as well as painter and carpenter people. Please list anyone you recommend. We are in Airdrie, btw. Also can anyone comment on the reputation of contractors listed through Home Depot?

Does hiring an interior designer to work with me through this make more sense than doing it on my own?? Anyone use an interior designer that they can comment on, good or bad??

That's about it for now. I look forward to any replies that come my way.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Tamie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 06:16 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,632 times
Whatever you do, when it's all done make sure you get a receipt with a GST number and with taxes included. There are a lot of idiot "contractors" out there who will offer a great cash deal, will gladly take your money, and will do a second rate job....when it comes time to ask them to fix something, you'll be on your own.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:44 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,952,336 times
I don't think anyone in Calgary expects to see a table and chairs in a kitchen as long as there's a dining room ... gotta eat somewhere. An island could easily double as a counter for eating.

I had a furnace man recommended by home depot several years ago. I needed a 1/4 horse power motor. It was a Friday in the middle of the winter. I priced out the motor, priced out the work plus travel time and overtime, contacted the furnace man, told him exactly what I needed. He arrived with a friend, they replaced the motor, and told me the price was $750. That was double what I expected and told him so. He said that he replaced the 1/4 horse power motor with a 1/3 horse power motor and if I didn't like it, they would take it out. It was the middle of winter, and I had no choice. As they were leaving, they asked if they could have my daughter's yorkie because his wife loved yorkies. If I gave them the dog, they would knock a little off the price of the motor.

So, no, I wouldn't trust the people recommended by Home Depot.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,822 times
D'fine Art Studios Pvt. Ltd. is a leading provider of Entertainment, Media & Educational Services in Set Designing, Interior Designing, Multimedia, Graphics & Animation. We have a network of 6 streams already in place and an experience of 6 years in the Media & Entertainment industry. Website: [url=http://www.dfineart.in/]D'fine art[/url]

Old 09-04-2014, 11:00 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,696 times
This sounds like a small job, so what your budget is will affect everything.
You may use a SAIT design student and you'll probably save money overall
in using some design advice.

Unfortunately Calgary/Airdrie has a very big underground economy, and one
trait that small-time contractors have is a very good first pitch. If they ask
for half in advance suggest you place it with a notary as a draw upon work
finished.

Then look at their facial expression!!
Flooring supply companies often work with good people, as designers do as
well. I do know a very, very good painter in Calgary and am in Calgary within
the week. If he's in town I'll forward his infor. to you.

Remember that a lot of very good contractors simply don't touch jobs under
$30,000. They're simply too busy and it's hard to make anything on small jobs.
Welcome to Alberta.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 911 times
Rochelle Cote Interior Design (RCID) is one of the best interior design firms in Calgary and offers clients assistance with the interior selection process, custom millwork packages, and interior finishing drawings for a newbuild or renovation. RCID works carry a fashion-forward signature, with a fresh, clean transitional look and offer ample natural light to complement the warm architecture. Combining the right colors can bring a balance throughout. With an eye for style, they can turn a house into an artistic home.
[url=https://rochellecotedesign.com/]Rochelle Cote[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary