Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 01:47 PM

387 posts, read 608,597 times

Advertisements

a LDR of mine lives there and I'm pretty concerned about her, is it on the ground? what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 06:52 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,971,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconiator View Post
a LDR of mine lives there and I'm pretty concerned about her, is it on the ground? what?
Nothing. Three tornados were spotted over Calgary this afternoon. Calgary doesn't have tornados, so everyone did really stupid things. Some buildings evacuated and sent everyone onto the streets. Other buildings sent everyone to the basement ... but no one knew how to get to the basement - except by elevator, so many people climbed into the elevator. Those who didn't use the elevator couldn't find the stairs to the basement.

In one building, the only alarm to sound was in the basement - all silent from the ground floor up - so the alert was sent via email. Anyone who was working instead of screwing around on email did not see it. Calgarians are so oblivious to tornados that after receiving the email warning about a pending tornado, they wandered around the building for the next 20 minutes checking rooms to ensure that everyone knew about the potential deadly event - completely unaware of the fact that a tornado warning usually means that one has about 15 minutes to seek shelter.

If a tornado had touched down in downtown Calgary - where there was a warning - there would be thousands of casualties because no one knew what to do, so 99% of the people did the wrong thing.

A tornado touched down SW of Calgary, but no one was hurt.

Emergency services made a loud announcement on the evening news to tell people that when there is a tornado, they should not evacuate buildings; that the building can protect people. That's how stupid everyone was about what to do.

One woman, upon hearing the tornado warning, took 5 minutes to pack up her things and then she left the building and walked to her car because a child was at school - and that child might need protection.

13 Minutes: The Average Warning-Time Before a Tornado Hits

Follow up from building managers - in case there's another tornado - is to download an APP. Somehow I doubt that will help anyone find the stairs to the basement, react with urgency, stay out of the elevators, or even remain in the building. Stupidity is not cured with an APP, but that seems to be the response from those in charge.

Last edited by Lieneke; 07-22-2015 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary