Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 10:58 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times

Advertisements

A must-read article:

Ont. woman says she still can't use her arm four years after donating blood

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/ont-wo...lood-1.5194410

The level of medical care in Canada is ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 07:11 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
A must-read article:

Ont. woman says she still can't use her arm four years after donating blood

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/ont-wo...lood-1.5194410

The level of medical care in Canada is ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING!
Donating blood is not exactly health care. It sounds like a volunteer at a temporary blood donor clinic did something incorrectly - a one in a million thing. I volunteered at blood donor clinics when I was in my mid-20s. My job was to ensure that everyone remained alert, happy, drank their juice and ate their cookie before leaving. The photos were from shortly after she gave blood, not today. I'm curious why physio hasn't resolved the arm extension question. Arms move based on muscles and joints, not arteries and bleeding under the skin 4 years earlier.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:45 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Still planning a trip for next summer but everything is a mess working around CV19. I have found a few interesting jobs and employers that seem to pay quite well. I need to do COL and Salary research between SLC -> CAL to understand payroll deductions/Taxes/etc...

In general trying to get an understanding of the layout of the city:

https://www.calgarylistings.com/calg...tate-listings/

This lists an interesting map showing the different zones of the city. Most of the employers i'm finding have offices near City Centre so want to get an understanding of commute times from say the Northwest or Southeast zone? Is there an area of the city to avoid housing that might be a bit more blighted, more homeless, more crime, more drugs etc..?

Still just trying to get a lay of the land.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Still planning a trip for next summer but everything is a mess working around CV19. I have found a few interesting jobs and employers that seem to pay quite well. I need to do COL and Salary research between SLC -> CAL to understand payroll deductions/Taxes/etc...

In general trying to get an understanding of the layout of the city:

https://www.calgarylistings.com/calg...tate-listings/

This lists an interesting map showing the different zones of the city. Most of the employers i'm finding have offices near City Centre so want to get an understanding of commute times from say the Northwest or Southeast zone? Is there an area of the city to avoid housing that might be a bit more blighted, more homeless, more crime, more drugs etc..?

Still just trying to get a lay of the land.
NE Calgary currently has the highest number of Covid cases in the province because the NE area is attractive to new immigrants, and those new Canadians have a lifestyle of multiple generations per household and a culture of sharing meals with friends and family.

The wind blows from the West in Calgary - mountain air hits the West side of the city, sweeps through the downtown valley and blows everything East. Industry is typically on the East side of the city. Properties on the East side of the city can be cheaper for this reason.

Downtown was booming during oil years, but many large companies have downsized and developed a hybrid work model of 2 days at work, 3 days work from home. There are homeless agencies in the downtown area, some for people who abuse substances and some for people who do not. They offer assistance in housing, education and work. No one can be homeless year round due to cold temperatures. I was walking along downtown river parks 1.5 years ago and was concerned about tent people who interfered with river hikes - I didn't want to be around them, concerned about mental health issues.

Commutes throughout the city depend on peak traffic times. An 11 minute drive can turn into 45 minutes if you leave work at the wrong time. I found that arriving at 7:40AM and leaving at 3:50PM meant avoiding the traffic. This is all based on pre-covid times. Everything is different today - the downtown core is empty.

Owner occupied is typically a safer neighbourhood. I think Sunalta / Scarboro was considered a bit rough last time I checked, as is the case with older downtown housing options. However, there are new areas in the core as well. I can't remember whether you were looking to rent or buy, and whether you're looking for one or a family with or without children - it all makes a difference. I can offer suggestions with more information.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
We are looking at all of the major and mid size Canadian cities for a potential northward migration. We are native Floridians in our mid 30's with 2 young children (1 & 3). I work in Finance/Accounting and my wife works in healthcare.

Over the past 12 years we have moved from FL -> UT -> CO -> TN -> Upstate NY -> UT so have a fairly good idea of what we like.

Based upon size/Cost of living Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are pretty much out; leaving all of the tier 2/3 city options. Our exposure to various climates have left us wanting a dry (low humidity) climate, access to mountains, change of season, minimal rain, and lots of sunshine. We'd prefer a small to mid size city with plenty of jobs/diverse economy and a relatively low Cost of living. Work/life balance is important so having summer & winter access to Lake Lousie, Banff, Jasper would be attractive.

Could anyone provide a summary of Calgary culture? Is Calgary that much different than greater Canada or the region? Our only exposure to Canadian culture is the snowbirds coming to Florida and the 5-6 times we drove from NY to visit Montreal (obviously Alberta will be different than Quebec).

Is Calgary a good place to raise a family? Is there a large ghetto/urban area? How about crime is it safe to roam the majority of the city during the day and weekend nights without fearing robbery? How is the homeless population and is the city clean? Is there a large drug addiction crisis to opiates and/or meth?

Any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated! Edmonton and Winnipeg would be possible other options.. How about smaller cities like Red Deer, Kelowna, and Kamloops ?
Apologies - I see that you are native Floridians in the mid 30's with 2 young children (1 & 3), that you work in Finance/Accounting and your wife works in healthcare. Healthcare workers are welcome around the world, including Canada. Accountants are boring, no?

International tax is where the money is - CFO style. Nexen and other companies that were taken over by the Chinese typically phase out in favour of Chinese employees, engineers and accountants.

Calgary is a safe, walkable, prosperous, innovative city near the Rocky Mountains, more expensive than some other cities, not as expensive as Vancouver and Ottawa region.

2 children mid 30s means not downtown unless you have 2 million. Prefer SW/NW to SE/NE with children. The city is diverse. Any preference for type of education, or public/catholic school?

Old 03-16-2021, 12:03 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The wind blows from the West in Calgary - mountain air hits the West side of the city, sweeps through the downtown valley and blows everything East. Industry is typically on the East side of the city. Properties on the East side of the city can be cheaper for this reason.
Thought the West side was more desirable because of the hilliness and proximity to the scenic mountain range backdrop? Most cities with that divide, like Austin, have the affluent areas in the more rugged and scenic area while industry and the poorer people reside in the flatter parts.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM

6 posts, read 10,165 times
Quote:
We are looking at all of the major and mid size Canadian cities for a potential northward migration. We are native Floridians in our mid 30's with 2 young children (1 & 3). I work in Finance/Accounting and my wife works in healthcare.

Over the past 12 years we have moved from FL -> UT -> CO -> TN -> Upstate NY -> UT so have a fairly good idea of what we like.

Based upon size/Cost of living Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are pretty much out; leaving all of the tier 2/3 city options. Our exposure to various climates have left us wanting a dry (low humidity) climate, access to mountains, change of season, minimal rain, and lots of sunshine. We'd prefer a small to mid size city with plenty of jobs/diverse economy and a relatively low Cost of living. Work/life balance is important so having summer & winter access to Lake Lousie, Banff, Jasper would be attractive.

Could anyone provide a summary of Calgary culture? Is Calgary that much different than greater Canada or the region? Our only exposure to Canadian culture is the snowbirds coming to Florida and the 5-6 times we drove from NY to visit Montreal (obviously Alberta will be different than Quebec).

Is Calgary a good place to raise a family? Is there a large ghetto/urban area? How about crime is it safe to roam the majority of the city during the day and weekend nights without fearing robbery? How is the homeless population and is the city clean? Is there a large drug addiction crisis to opiates and/or meth?

Any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated! Edmonton and Winnipeg would be possible other options.. How about smaller cities like Red Deer, Kelowna, and Kamloops ?

I have not gone through entire thread and would like to assume that you must have moved by now. If not done yet, I would like to say, Calgary is your destination. We moved from CO > GA > CO > WI > NJ > ON > Calgary, AB and can now say we like Calgary. Culturally, it's conservative by Canadian standards but I would still call it more liberal as per USA standards. By and large, I find it similar to Denver. From COst of living perspective, it's right balance of cost and opportunities. It has great schools...

Old 03-26-2022, 04:07 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
headed to calgary this summer with a a july trip planned. Will spend a few days in Calgary and a few in Canmore. I wonder what the quality of life would be living in Canmore year round? This is similar to the Park City where I live.

Old 03-31-2022, 07:55 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
I've never been to Park City but I believe it is close enough to Salt Lake City to be pretty much a suburb where Canmore is just a bit too far from Calgary to be convenient to the city especially during the long winter and the blowing snow. And Canmore isn't cheap. That said some people do commute from Canmore and if I could afford it I'd be there too! Absolutely stunning setting and literally on the doorstep of major national and provincial parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary