Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 05:51 PM

298 posts, read 1,089,557 times

Advertisements

I need to know what the procedures for getting qualified to teach elementary school in the state of Californiaare. My girlfriend needs to transfer to finish her education degree. We were thinking of the bay area, but when looking for elementary education programs we were out of luck. In most states you get a education undergraduate degree and pass a state license exam, like the praxis, and student teach.

What are the procedures in this state?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Nyse; 06-18-2010 at 06:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 06:41 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
Quote:
Californiaare
?

Look, most districts are laying off teachers, trying to be a teacher here now, isn't a good idea.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:22 PM

Lol yeah my iPhone screws up the type sometimes.

Well she doesn't plan to teach in the state, just go to school there. We were looking at the csu schools but can't find any info.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:45 PM

122 posts, read 365,524 times
Um, have you not heard about the mass lay offs in California of teachers?
Procedures: BA in liberal arts, Teaching credentialing program, pass CBEST pass CSET. Teach.

It is more difficult to get your credentials here as you need to be in a credentialing program. For example, CSUB has one just check major universities and such. California will not be hiring teachers in the near future, I am going to school to finish my degree and have to move due to their recession.
I am moving to tennessee. Also, my entire class graduate and got done and none can find jobs here. The jobs are few. But I wish her luck and keep positive. The Bay is expensive and I don't know what your money situation is but California overall is very pricy.
I wish you both luck, you can still finish school here if that is what you really desire.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorideaquad View Post
Um, have you not heard about the mass lay offs in California of teachers?
Procedures: BA in liberal arts, Teaching credentialing program, pass CBEST pass CSET. Teach.

Ok, that's what I gathered from states websites but wasn't sure. So if she had two years left with her undergrad degree she would have to complete the teaching credentialing program afterwards? We were looking for the quickest way for her to be done with school, and it sounds like it can be done faster somewhere else.

Then to makes matters more complicated I have to find a job with my finance degree.

Anyway thanks for the info!!

Old 06-19-2010, 06:44 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse View Post
So if she had two years left with her undergrad degree she would have to complete the teaching credentialing program afterwards? We were looking for the quickest way for her to be done with school...
All the affordable universities here (Cal State) have cut back their admissions drastically, even for transfer students, due to budget cuts. This is not the state to come to for teaching right now.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:23 AM

963 posts, read 3,032,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorideaquad View Post
To that add getting your CLAD certificate, getting fingerprinted and then subbing in a district for six or seven years while you wait for a contracted position to open up. Here's the official scoop:

California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California