U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:41 PM

29,097 posts, read 24,802,142 times

Advertisements

Does Governor Brown deserve a cookie?

Last edited by Harrier; 06-28-2013 at 10:57 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 10:59 PM

39,598 posts, read 45,057,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Tell you what: I think it's a great deal for Texas to take 1/2 million off our hands and overburdened infrastructure ... how about take about 15 million more ... what can I do to help that become a reality?
No, no... you keep your Illegals and we'll keep ours. Maybe we could send them all to either DC, Chicago or Detroit ?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:09 PM

7,150 posts, read 9,983,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No, no... you keep your Illegals and we'll keep ours. Maybe we could send them all to either DC, Chicago or Detroit ?
I'd be happier to get rid of all the pencil-neck bankers, investment managers, software engineers first, thank you very much.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:32 PM

96,619 posts, read 94,439,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Does Governor Brown deserve a cookie?
Do you have cookies? by all means, share!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 AM

18,176 posts, read 14,374,015 times
Quote:
I'd be happier to get rid of all the pencil-neck bankers, investment managers, software engineers first, thank you very much.
Great idea, then it would look like Baja.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
It’s not hard to see why. For this story, CBS 21 researched what government programs are available to a single mother of two making $19,000 a year. What we found was incredible.

Our family would be eligible for $14,976 in free day care, another $13,400 for Head Start and Early Head Start, $7,148 in housing vouchers, $6,500 for weatherization projects, $400 to pay heating bills, $480 a year for a cell phone, with an extra $230 for a land line, and $182 in free legal advice.

The family would get more than $6,028 in food assistance and another $6,045 in medical assistance. The mother is eligible for $5,500 in Pell Grants for school with an additional $12,000 for the Education Opportunity Grant; SMART Grant; and TEACH Grant.

Our family would also get $6,800 in tax credits, and $1,900 in withholding would be returned.

Add it up and this family can get $81,589 in free assistance.

Living the good life off of government benefits - CBS 21 News - Breaking news, sports and weather for the Harrisburg -York -Lancaster -Lebanon Pennsylvania area
Hilarious. The mainstream media loves viewers like you who suck up their sensationalism. Look, I am jammed up right now working on a big, tricky legal case ... I haven't got time to parse it out for you in detail. So just a coupla quick points:

• first off, you were talking about "illegals" ... and almost none of these benefits are available to illegals

• then you can knock half the value of those benefits off right from the top because they aren't cash substitutes

• neither are those non-cash-for-living benefits available to everyone who is even eligible -- lots of eligible applicants are turned away after the educational grant budgets, and childcare, for example, have been spent.

• Some of the programs -- such as the childcare subsidies -- require each adult in the home to be working a minimum of 20 hours per week

• not all those programs are available to those who qualify for some

• NONE of those programs are available in perpetuity (except SNAP) ... in other words, once someone uses an educational grant for a year or two's program, that's it ... they don't continue living "high on the hog" on them year after year after year

• most assistance programs-- such as TANF -- are very limited in time frame ... TANF runs two to five years in different states ... and once used a person is never eligible again ... and for those receiving TANF, nearly all are required to be in school or training programs for the few years they are eligible.

• Head Start / Early Start? Couple of years each at best and then the kids have moved on to regular school. Anyway, they aren't cash-value. There's no income benefit to live on from those programs.

• Other of the programs / benefits are one-time improvement investments -- such as weatherization -- which cuts down dramatically on fuel bills for heating / cooling.

And, also very significantly, you didn't answer my question: have you lived this "easy life on the dole"? But the answer to that is now obviously: No, you know nothing about it ... if you had even a slight clue, you wouldn't have even quoted such total nonsense.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:56 AM

4,795 posts, read 11,798,061 times
Quote:

• first off, you were talking about "illegals" ... and almost none of these benefits are available to illegals
How do you know? Besides, whether they are technically eligible isn't the same as whether the state agencies are actually checking immigration status when handing out benefits and whether they themselves are eligible their kids born here sure are and I see plenty of illegal females walking around pregnant which means they are months or weeks away from receiving state benefits anyway.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
How do you know? Besides, whether they are technically eligible isn't the same as whether the state agencies are actually checking immigration status when handing out benefits and whether they themselves are eligible their kids born here sure are and I see plenty of illegal females walking around pregnant which means they are months or weeks away from receiving state benefits anyway.
Crackin' me up ... "How do you know?", you ask ... then you write: "and I see plenty of illegal females walking around pregnant" ... So, I ask you the same: "How do you know" they are illegal?"

The answer is: You don't know, ever. But the state and feds do require identification and verifications -- but which you don't have access to.

It is NOT easy to get by the identification and verification processes EXCEPT with false id's, which, true, some illegals do have. Do you know the percentages of people we are talking about here? No, you don't. And the fraud, by percentage numbers, is small. I have linked the published numbers estimated by investigators and enforcement before on this forum ... numerous times .... it's good education and mental exercise ... go find them yourself.

Point is, folks like you who shoot off these hyperbolic legends don't know squat ... you are just regurgitating RWKJ AM radio blather. The intent of this forum is sharing of accurate information -- not unsubstantiated, bigoted garbage.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 PM

444 posts, read 608,196 times
C'mon now Null, didn't you know? If they're brown, they're illegal. Plain and simple.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:15 PM

444 posts, read 608,196 times
Speaking of colors, I thought this thread was about green???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California