U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,200,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Well, I didn't suggest it was spotless. I'm saying you can't possibly look at the overall record and say the SBA hasn't been a gigantic help to a huge number of Americans, and that it hasn't done more good than harm.
The link I posted says only a little more than 1% of small business loans are from the sba, not exactly setting the world ablaze. I still believe they should be defunded, but that is not politically expedient so it will never happen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 10:53 PM

7,150 posts, read 9,983,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Because being a politician should be something you do to better others, not yourself. Being a banker or any other job is for a pay check.
Prime example is finestein's husband getting the hsr contract. The average wealth of US senators is over 2 million, not exactly a government of the people, by the people, for the people.

I understand business and finance, I choose to believe that government isn't the only solution to any problem like many here believe.
Your posts are hilarious ... sorry ...

Average wealth of a U.S. Senator is over $2 million dollars? Would you like me to pick that inference and reality apart for you into little itsy-bitsy pieces? Maybe starting with the fact that 'averages' are meaningless in the context you use them here ... that is, one senator could be worth $198,000,000 and the other 99 worth $zero. Of course, I have gone too far -- because we know that many in the senate are moderately wealthy. But the fact is that they become wealthy for many reasons ... but not from political pay. You infer that they get paid bonuses like bankers ... or, they take graft ... which I would love to have you prove other than a very rare exception over very many years.

As for bettering others: are you feeling personally deprived living in America? ... ummm, compared to where, may I ask? Seems we Americans are doing pretty damn well actually -- in spite of all those nasty bad men and women in politics. Whereas a lot of bankers get annual bonuses -- annual, mind you -- far in excess of the "average net worth" of senators ... you call that a "paycheck"? Pay for what? Ripping off America by creating toxically creative derivative bundles and selling them to investment funds that fuel your retirement -- and then crashing the economy? Oh good.

Government isn't the only solution to every problem at ... it is the only thing that keeps psychopathically obsessed freaks from killing us all with their greed at any cost. Try Somalia if you want to live with total "freedom".

By the way, Feinstein's husband didn't get the HSR contract ... he is an investor with the company that won the contract on a bid basis ... there have been threads about this here, totally debunking the stupid notion that the contract was somehow engineered by his wife.

Seriously brother, educate yourself.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Your posts are hilarious ... sorry ...

Average wealth of a U.S. Senator is over $2 million dollars? Would you like me to pick that inference and reality apart for you into little itsy-bitsy pieces? Maybe starting with the fact that 'averages' are meaningless in the context you use them here ... that is, one senator could be worth $198,000,000 and the other 99 worth $zero. Of course, I have gone too far -- because we know that many in the senate are moderately wealthy. But the fact is that they become wealthy for many reasons ... but not from political pay. You infer that they get paid bonuses like bankers ... or, they take graft ... which I would love to have you prove other than a very rare exception over very many years.

As for bettering others: are you feeling personally deprived living in America? ... ummm, compared to where, may I ask? Seems we Americans are doing pretty damn well actually -- in spite of all those nasty bad men and women in politics. Whereas a lot of bankers get annual bonuses -- annual, mind you -- far in excess of the "average net worth" of senators ... you call that a "paycheck"? Pay for what? Ripping off America by creating toxically creative derivative bundles and selling them to investment funds that fuel your retirement -- and then crashing the economy? Oh good.

Government isn't the only solution to every problem at ... it is the only thing that keeps psychopathically obsessed freaks from killing us all with their greed at any cost. Try Somalia if you want to live with total "freedom".

By the way, Feinstein's husband didn't get the HSR contract ... he is an investor with the company that won the contract on a bid basis ... there have been threads about this here, totally debunking the stupid notion that the contract was somehow engineered by his wife.

Seriously brother, educate yourself.
My mistake, I should have said median wealth, not average. Also, median wealth of senators has grown about 70% since 2004.
A close-up look at congressional wealth - The Washington Post

I really hope you don't believe the government is honest and looking out for your or societies best interests. The same people you decry for doing anything to make a buck, become politicians to become even more powerful.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:05 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,872,206 times
Quote:
The link I posted says only a little more than 1% of small business loans are from the sba, not exactly setting the world ablaze. I still believe they should be defunded, but that is not politically expedient so it will never happen.
The SBA funds 23% of the start-ups in America, with a little more than 10% of the funds used. We're talking about mom and pops here; lots of them.

The reason 10% seems low is that the SBA loans are only for a million dollars or less, so a vast majority of the funding for the big businesses (hundreds of millions to billions) makes all the many $1m-or-less loans seem small.

Have you ever started a business? Have you ever tried to get a business loan from a bank? How about in the last 20 years?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:08 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,872,206 times
Quote:
The same people you decry for doing anything to make a buck, become politicians to become even more powerful.
I agree that this does happen, but I don't agree that All Government is run entirely by corrupt former business people.

What I find interesting is that libertarians would likely go about 3 days of complete and total anarchy before demanding we set up some sort of "system" by which we "elect" "representatives" to enact "rules" or "laws" that then should be "enforced" to keep us from living in a "third world hellhole."

Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 PM

7,150 posts, read 9,983,191 times
Quote:
My mistake, I should have said median wealth, not average. Also, median wealth of senators has grown about 70% since 2004.
A close-up look at congressional wealth - The Washington Post

I really hope you don't believe the government is honest and looking out for your or societies best interests. The same people you decry for doing anything to make a buck, become politicians to become even more powerful.
Oh horsepuckey ... the people I decry don't become politicians ... they buy politicians' support by contributing to campaigns and by conditioning public opinion. Politicians are figureheads for the most part, tis true ... they are fairly egotistical characters in love with the image of themselves they want to project. I was raised in the midst of politicians both local and national all the way to the top ... never met one who impressed or fooled me. Yet their game is a necessary evil to maintain an order to life as we have come to depend on (sadly).

Now, back to your claim that politicians become wealthy through their politics ... from the opening paragraph of your own link:
Quote:
A Washington Post analysis of the personal finances of all 535 members of Congress reveals how the nation’s lawmakers position their portfolios and how they win and lose money on Wall Street. Some invest aggressively in the stock market; others seek the shelter of bonds and mutual funds. They range from the super-rich to the deep-in-debt, from inherited wealth to married wealth to no wealth at all. They are entrepreneurs and farmers, oilmen and ranchers, lawyers and real estate developers.
Notice anything? Any mention of wealth garnered from political dealings and connections? No? You know why? [Hint: it's illegal ... and when it happens and they get caught they go to jail] ... g'night.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
I agree that this does happen, but I don't agree that All Government is run entirely by corrupt former business people.

What I find interesting is that libertarians would likely go about 3 days of complete and total anarchy before demanding we set up some sort of "system" by which we "elect" "representatives" to enact "rules" or "laws" that then should be "enforced" to keep us from living in a "third world hellhole."
Your right, it is not only run by corrupt former business people, it is run by corrupt unions and special interests as well. The few politicians that do not tow the line in either party is pushed to the side.

Libertarians still want government and order, just a government more in line with the principals of the founders of this nation. A government that is limited in their scope, that stays out of the day to day lives of all Americans. A government that is not bloated, over bearing and self focused. A government that doesn't pick winners and losers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California