Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,441 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm investigating pretty seriously moving to the Sonoma/ Marin area of California from England.
I'm very fortunate in that I've had a very high pay very stressful job with very long hours that I don't want to do any more but that has given me enough money to risk starting over in a place I want to live, without some of the stresses.

I'm only in my early to mid 30s, and yet to start a family (but likely to in the coming years). My wife and I both love the San Francisco area, and the wine region. The advantage of being in this area in particular that if I feel the need (from boredom or financial requirement) to go back to my job the city has enough that I should be able to do so.

We've really narrowed down the search at this point to Sebastopol area or Sonoma/ Glenn Elen type area, or Novato/ Petaluma.

I want to be able to get enough house for my money so as not to need to move, and the schools etc matter too, I don't want to have to move once I settle for family reasons.
I love the space and countryside of Sebastopol area, but my wife (a journalist/ writer) wants to work and I'm worried that it will be hard to find a job without commuting too far (ie to the city). (Santa Rosa I think is all there would be?)
Novato area is more suburban but safer in that we'll both be able to commute from there if need be, and you don't give up all the perks of a town immeiately (right from London!). But is it so suburban as to lose the best parts of this part of california?

Does anyone have any advice on either area, in terms of community (I'd like to get involved as I'll not know many people and have a lot more free time than I've ever had before)?

Also one other thing I'm investigating is buying land and building my own property, if anyone has any advice on how easy/ hard this is or any contacts that might be in that trade I'd be very interested.

Thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California