Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:53 PM

3 posts, read 13,643 times

Advertisements

I live in Corona, Ca. That's just East of Orange County and about 40 min or so from LA. San Diego is about 1 hour south. I have a husband, 2 children: 21 & 23 and a grand daughter, 10mths. I sell Real Estate, know a lot about Corona & a bit about Riverside. My daughter just finished up at RCC and is going to UCR in September towards her English degree. 2 bedroom places near those schools start around $850mth+, depending on area and amenities. In Corona, a 2 bedroom place is around $1200. The air is not humid. We're in a semi arid part of the country.
Orginally from New Jersey, I thought it was really odd when my friend came back to visit after living in Ca for a few years. It was summer and only about 85 degrees. My friend said she felt like she was suffocating. I didn't understand until, years later, I went back and experienced the same thing.
That was my friend from high school. Her family traveled due to her Dad's job. After high school, they moved back, to CA. She would write me letters about how you could go swimming in the ocean and skiing in the mountains on the same day. That really intrigued me. A boyfriend and I loaded up our old VW van and drove out. Upon arriving, I felt a deja vu about California and never want to live anywhere else. That old friend also lives in Corona & our sons are 5 weeks apart in age & good friends.
It gets into the 100s here in the summer. There are 4 places on earth that have what's known as Santa Ana Winds (desert wind rising and falling over the mountain creating hot wind). When the Santa Anas are blowing, it can feel like someone put a fan in front of a furnace. Obviously, the biggest expense is airconditioning in the summer. It is one of a few places on earth that has a "rainy season". It doesn't just rain any day of the year. We only get rain between, say, November and April. Every other time, it's always sunny & dry. Lawns have built in sprinkler systems to keep the grass green. Without them, it's just dead grass and dirt. Right now, there's a nice breeze coming in through my window...Corona always has a nice afternoon breeze. It's probably about 85 degrees, and feels cool and pleasant.

San Diego has some pretty country...rolling hills.. What I like about Southern California is that everything is right here. I like a change of scenery and enjoy looking at the mountains. One day, you can decide to go to the beach to swim, surf, volleyball, basketball, roller skate, bike ride, hang out, etc. For me, it's a 20 minute drive. Another day, in the winter, you may decide you want to see snow for a change. Inside of an hour or so, you can be up in the mountains throwing snowballs or skiing. Since the mountains here are so tall, it doesn't have to be that cold to keep the snow from melting. Because of this, you may see people skiing in shorts...don't ask me how that works....

When I first came here in 1979, I immediately noticed a difference in the people. As a 20 something person, I came from a place where people were described by their interests and hobbies to a place to where people were described by their cars and homes. The superficial smiles and quick, friendly acceptance were fairly easy to come by, but quickly forgotten. In contrast, back East it was harder to meet people, but once friends, they went deeper and lasted longer.
I don't know now, but I suspect that the kind of "definition by wealth" that I noticed back then has spread to other parts via our global, internet aided world. I know that school kids here are anxious that their sneakers and clothes have the right labels on them.

It's really great that they have the freeway system. You can get anywhere fairly quickly...unless it's traffic time. The closer you are to a major city...LA, San Diego, Orange County...the more traffic will be a big part of your life here. Still...it's so much easier and faster to get places than plodding down a one lane road watching for deer...then the other deer...

Jobs are hard if you're looking. My son is in the Army Reserves & is going to college. He got a job at the Shell station. He was chosen from over 20 applicants because the owner is an ex Marine so my son acted alul military and gave him a "BooYaa!". All that for a minimum wage job...and he's one of the lucky ones!

If you want to go to college, I believe it is much cheaper here if you"re a resident than in other states. Check out California Community Colleges. You can go there for 2 years and get your basics out of the way, then transfer to your college of choice.

Well, you said you were trying to get local experience. I hope my ramblings helped. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 PM

30 posts, read 88,396 times
Hey do not listen to those who told you to stay where you are. I was thinking of San Diego and then I saw that you have a friend you can stay with which would be perfect. You can be looking at places to rent. I only lived in San Diego for a short time. I lived in North County for longer. North county which includes Vista, and San Marcos is about 45 minutes north of San Diego and inland from Oceanside. I suggest you check out the area. Theres also Escondido which is east of San Marcos. Gets hotter as you go inland. There's also Carlsbad, Leucadia, Encinitas, Del Mar, and La Jolla. I may have forgotten a town. They are all on the coast. While looking for rentals on Craigslist, There didn't hardly seem to be anything for rent in those areas. I use to think those places were cheaper to rent than San Diego but I have not lived there for some time, and I heard that Carlsbad got ritzy. Theres Ventura on the coast, north of Los Angeles. Do not know the place but heard it was nice but gets foggy. Also heard that San Luis Obispo is very nice. Supposed to be the place with the happiest people in US. Is on the coast. I do not think they have big box stores there if that is what you are interested in.
Whatever, you do, Do NOT GO TO FRESNO. It is a hellhole as far as I am concerned and it has been referred to as The Armpit of California. You know Sacramento may not be too bad. Similar weather to Fresno. And Davis sounds cool, but thats because I'm into bike riding and theres supposed to be roads where only bicycles can ride. I am thinking though that the best place for you right now is San Diego since you would have a place to stay. Then it gives you time to get to know San Diego. If you end up not liking it, you can go visit these other places to see what you think. Be thankful for your friends help and let go of the fear, and just be open to change. Best luck to you and your mom.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:36 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,324,984 times
San Diego is not particularly hot (although the eastern part of San Diego County is)

Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,019,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmalla View Post
Hey do not listen to those who told you to stay where you are. I was thinking of San Diego and then I saw that you have a friend you can stay with which would be perfect. You can be looking at places to rent. I only lived in San Diego for a short time. I lived in North County for longer. North county which includes Vista, and San Marcos is about 45 minutes north of San Diego and inland from Oceanside. I suggest you check out the area. Theres also Escondido which is east of San Marcos. Gets hotter as you go inland. There's also Carlsbad, Leucadia, Encinitas, Del Mar, and La Jolla. I may have forgotten a town. They are all on the coast. While looking for rentals on Craigslist, There didn't hardly seem to be anything for rent in those areas. I use to think those places were cheaper to rent than San Diego but I have not lived there for some time, and I heard that Carlsbad got ritzy. Theres Ventura on the coast, north of Los Angeles. Do not know the place but heard it was nice but gets foggy. Also heard that San Luis Obispo is very nice. Supposed to be the place with the happiest people in US. Is on the coast. I do not think they have big box stores there if that is what you are interested in.
Whatever, you do, Do NOT GO TO FRESNO. It is a hellhole as far as I am concerned and it has been referred to as The Armpit of California. You know Sacramento may not be too bad. Similar weather to Fresno. And Davis sounds cool, but thats because I'm into bike riding and theres supposed to be roads where only bicycles can ride. I am thinking though that the best place for you right now is San Diego since you would have a place to stay. Then it gives you time to get to know San Diego. If you end up not liking it, you can go visit these other places to see what you think. Be thankful for your friends help and let go of the fear, and just be open to change. Best luck to you and your mom.
I'm sure the original poster is long gone by now and won't ever read this. Did you notice that the thread was started over a year ago?

Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 PM

30 posts, read 88,396 times
Actually I didn't notice the date. I think I saw this on one of the first three pages and I thought they are listed in order of dates so I assumed it was recent. Have to remember to look at the dates first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California