U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:07 PM

457 posts, read 1,131,998 times

Advertisements

So, I was just watching the news and saw they had 44 legislatures on the steps to our states capital talking about Senate Concurrent Resolution 113. What that was said to be is a statewide economical boycott of Arizona.

Why does everyone want to boycott Arizona? If I don't agree with something or somewhere I'm not going to do it or not going to go there. Why would I need to affect so many other peoples lives. That's what I don't get about a lot of people regarding this Arizona debacle.

There are a lot of places I don't go for various reasons but I don't tell everyone else they shouldn't go for my personal reasons.

This SCR 113 also wants CALpers and CalSTRS to not invest in Arizona until their anti-illegal immigration law is repealed. Aren't we shooting ourselves in the foot with that? I'd rather have those two government retirements make as much as they can so the taxpayers don't have to cover it if they don't make enough.

Do people honestly not see the massive amount of problems Arizona has been having the past few years and probably more with crime related to illegal immigrants? Phoenix is what, second in the world in kidnappings? This is the United States of America. It's supposed to be one of the premier places to live in the world but we have a statistic like that. I am sure there are many other problems in Arizona attributed to illegal immigrants. I know Phoenix is one of the biggest hubs for illegal narcotics to be distrubuted to our fine drug addicted people of this country.

I guess I'm crazy/unintelligent/backwards becuase I see nothing wrong with trying to rid our population of the massive amounts of illegal immigrants. How is it possible that people don't realize our society can not sustain the amount of illegal immigrants we have?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 02:21 PM

11,715 posts, read 39,031,547 times
California's government loves illegal aliens and hates anyone who doesn't.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 PM

205 posts, read 198,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
California's government loves illegal aliens and hates anyone who doesn't.
Of course, who else is going is going to do that type of labor for that cheap and not ask for workers rights, raises etc etc etc?

Old 06-23-2010, 03:28 PM

36,077 posts, read 39,796,926 times
Political posturing never actually affects me.

My husbands company, while headquartered in the Bay Area, has locations in Arizona that he works at quite frequently. I don't see that changing.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:01 PM

77,786 posts, read 99,087,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
So, I was just watching the news and saw they had 44 legislatures on the steps to our states capital talking about Senate Concurrent Resolution 113. What that was said to be is a statewide economical boycott of Arizona.

Why does everyone want to boycott Arizona? If I don't agree with something or somewhere I'm not going to do it or not going to go there. Why would I need to affect so many other peoples lives. That's what I don't get about a lot of people regarding this Arizona debacle.

There are a lot of places I don't go for various reasons but I don't tell everyone else they shouldn't go for my personal reasons.

This SCR 113 also wants CALpers and CalSTRS to not invest in Arizona until their anti-illegal immigration law is repealed. Aren't we shooting ourselves in the foot with that? I'd rather have those two government retirements make as much as they can so the taxpayers don't have to cover it if they don't make enough.

Do people honestly not see the massive amount of problems Arizona has been having the past few years and probably more with crime related to illegal immigrants? Phoenix is what, second in the world in kidnappings? This is the United States of America. It's supposed to be one of the premier places to live in the world but we have a statistic like that. I am sure there are many other problems in Arizona attributed to illegal immigrants. I know Phoenix is one of the biggest hubs for illegal narcotics to be distrubuted to our fine drug addicted people of this country.

I guess I'm crazy/unintelligent/backwards becuase I see nothing wrong with trying to rid our population of the massive amounts of illegal immigrants. How is it possible that people don't realize our society can not sustain the amount of illegal immigrants we have?
even for states and cities that don't approve of what AZ is doing, the boycotting isn't going to do much of anything. I am at a loss as to why some officials think they are making an impression, but to mention think, because some don't agree this is the right approach. It is going to backfire!!!

Nita

Old 06-23-2010, 04:58 PM

13,719 posts, read 29,545,505 times
I have no problems with citizens expressing their feelings about issues of interest to them occurring in other cities, states, or countries.

I do have a problem with state and local government officials passing laws, resolutions, or threatening the businesses and people of another state. Arizona's people can do what they think is best for them. California (and other states) should respect Arizona's autonomy and right to pass laws as they see fit.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,795,683 times
Default Boycotting Arizona is unnecessary

When Arizona drives its workers (the means of production) away, businesses will fail and the tax revenues will dry up. Bankruptcy will follow if they continue to pursue this insane, unconstitutional course of action.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:27 PM

23,594 posts, read 35,626,955 times
Look at who the Legislators were and the caucases they represent. Then you figure it out. Also look at who introduced the senate resolution. None other than One-Bill Gil Cedillo who still wants to give illegals drivers licenses and doesn't seem to represent anyone in his district who isn't Hispanic.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 06-23-2010 at 08:28 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 PM

7,412 posts, read 9,725,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post

It's not that I doubt your word but I can not find any news of the state legislature taking action against Arizona. Maybe the news hasn't been reported by the media yet.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:30 PM

23,594 posts, read 35,626,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It's not that I doubt your word but I can not find any news of the state legislature taking action against Arizona. Maybe the news hasn't been reported by the media yet.
It's a Senate Concurrent Resolution. It has no weight under the law but expresses legislative intent.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalert...akers-co-.html

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cali...a-boycott.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California