Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:49 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,874,166 times

Advertisements

Planning a vacation.......

likely flying into San Francisco (been many times) staying a couple nights there but probably at the end of the trip, renting a vehicle & then would like to hit:

Driving down 1, Santa Cruz, Monterrey, Aptos, Capitola, Big Sur, Redwoods (dh & dd 1st time)
Possibly visit Palo Alto/Berkeley/Oakland if we have time (dd has stanford dreams

Any recommendations on the logistics of this for a 7 day trip? Any must visit places/sites? Any unique/one of a kind accomodations? Trying to decide where to stay for how long and what we cannot miss. Will be 2 adults & 2 teens, prefer 4* hotels/b&bs/etc.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 05:17 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,957,600 times
I would suggest adding Carmel to the Santa Cruz, Monterey, etc. list
Also another nice place to visit is the Hearst Castle (Hearst Castle - California State Park).

Old 06-24-2010, 12:47 AM

80 posts, read 295,059 times
My trip down Highway 1 a couple years ago had different company than yours, but Pigeon Point Lighthouse on 1 was an absolute treat. In fact, anything along 1 for me was incredible.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:08 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
After a few days in San Francisco a drive down the peninsula is nice but aside from Stanford University\ Palo Alto or San Jose I wouldn't stop until Santa Cruz on the coast side of the mountains. A day in Santa Cruz could include the Pacific Garden shopping district and the boardwalk\ beach. Or the beaches in Capitola\ Sea Cliff if you want to swim. On the way to Monterey a quick stop in Castroville for artichokes [they even have artichoke ice cream] is a nice diversion. Monterey\ Pacific Grove\ 21-mile drive\ Carmel and beach are a must to see [including Cannery Row\ aquarium]. You could easily spent a few days on the Monterey peninsula and take a drive down the Carmel Valley. But the real treat is Highway One down the coast to Big Sur for an overnight stay in the state park [you can put up a tent or rent a cabin]. Got to have lunch at Nepenthe. If you have time, drive south of Big Sur to San Simeon for a visit to Hearst Castle and Morro Bay.

The entire drive from San Francisco to San Luis Obispo is some of the most beautiful coastline in all of California. Have fun because you certain will enjoy it.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:10 AM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
Good Morning Davachka...

Shadowbrook Restaurant - Capitola, CA

Stop in Capitola for some beautiful scenery & a wonderful dining experience at Shadowbrook.

We lived in the Monterey area for several lustrums. SB has always been special to us.

Have a Fantastic Adventure.
Drive Safely.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 AM

634 posts, read 1,553,216 times
Stay in one of the cabins in the Big Sur State Park-it is soooo beautiful!

Old 06-24-2010, 12:28 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,874,166 times
Thank you for the wonderful suggestions! I have always wanted a vacation that included exploring the coast on highway 1, so I am very much looking forward to this. Love the ideas so far & will def add Hearst Castle, Pigeon Point, artichoke ice cream in Castroville, Carmel, Shadowbrook, and a cabin in Big Sur.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:43 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
Giant Artichoke restaurant in Castroville, california - Google Search

Sometimes i would go surffishing at Moss Landing, but first i stop at the Giant Artichoke to pickup a bag of deepfried choke hearts...YUM

Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,601,484 times
These are great, we're planning a vacation to SoCal and this makes me want to leave early and make more stops along the way

Old 06-24-2010, 02:04 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Giant Artichoke restaurant in Castroville, california - Google Search

Sometimes i would go surffishing at Moss Landing, but first i stop at the Giant Artichoke to pickup a bag of deepfried choke hearts...YUM

There's also a great seafood restaurant in Moss Landing right out on the docks. Nothing fancy [self serve on picnic tables] but the catch-of-the-day is worth every cent. Can't recall the name of the place but there aren't many restaurants in Moss Landing anyway and none on the dock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California