Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 03:20 PM

406 posts, read 1,359,886 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I have checked out just about all of the threads here about Redding, and I can't seem to figure out how it would be bad for us, so I am going to describe what we are looking for in our move, and maybe someone can tell us why Redding would be a bad choice.

Firstly, Montana is on the receiving end of a mass exodus of people from California, mostly from Los Angeles and San Francisco. This has driven the price of land up to the point where no locals can afford it, and everything is being subdivided.

We are looking to move to California to purchase some land (about 80 acres) and start a non-profit we have always dreamed of starting. We are, obviously, from a very conservative, and largely Libertarian state, but our town is a strange mix of liberals and conservatives, and we get along with everyone. From good old boys to hippies. We just avoid talking about politics and religion, since they are just a waste of time anyway. We are in our twenties and can boast friends from all age groups from all walks of life.

The weather here is cold. I'm sure I didn't need to tell you that, but I can see that Redding's weather is crazy hot. I am from a very hot and humid climate and my wife is from a very hot and dry climate, so we know how to survive in hot weather. We are also looking forward to not having a 6 month long winter.

As for jobs: We are both skilled and have experience with everything from building houses to waiting tables. Is there anything out there? I mean a ten dollar an hour job digging ditches? Anything? All I hear is people comlaining about lack of jobs. I am thinking it is just lazy Americans afraid to scrub toilets talking here... In a few years we plan on actually bringing some jobs to the area, but for now we will have to work like slaves. We can work ranches, build, manage properties. There has to be something...

How is the community? Is there family oriented events that go on frequently? Looks like you guys have an awesome park... How is that? Is it filled with transients and bums like our parks in Montana? What about crime and drug use? We won't be living anywhere near city limits, but we would like to be able to walk around the streets at night when we are in town. Statistics show the crime to be close to the national average. Does this correlate with your experiences in the city? We are pretty thick skinned and aren't scared of gang members or petty drug dealers. We've lived in rougher neighborhoods I'm sure. I heard the schools are OK, maybe a little better than the California average?

Lastly, what are the current business trends? Any new stores opening up? What is there a lack of? We are excellent chefs, and would like to open a restaurant in the future. Seems like there's a lack of these right now?

All in all, I can't seem to find something I dislike about Redding after reading these forums up and down. We have 20 million contiguous acres of forest and mountains in our backyard, but we could trade it for our own large acreage, surrounded by public land. The outdoor activities seem awesome in northern California. So what am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 04:28 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
Hi guys, I have checked out just about all of the threads here about Redding....and all in all, I can't seem to find something I dislike about it after reading these forums up and down.
It sounds as if you're not missing anything. A close friend of mine's parents moved to Redding from L.A. years ago, and one by the one, the whole family followed their move. Every time we've visited, it's been beautiful there and we've always had a lot of fun. Hot in the summer but you're aware of that. Check the following link, which includes job opportunities. Good luck!
demographics_new

Old 06-24-2010, 06:19 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,877 times
Quote:
Is there anything out there? I mean a ten dollar an hour job digging ditches? Anything?
Nobody's going to pay you $10 an hour for digging ditches when there's a line of braceros waiting outside the Home Depot who will gladly do it for $8 hr....you might even be able to talk them down to $6. California is not the kind of place where people offer you a job because you have an honest face and claim to be a hard-worker. If you are not a professional with educational credentials you'll have to compete with a multitude of blue-collar locals and the migrant work force. Hard-working jacks-of-all-trades are a dime a dozen in California. But for every job that opens up, there are a hundred voices clamoring to be one that gets picked. Remember that you're coming from a state that has a population density of 6.2 persons per sq. mile (and falling), and moving to a state that has 236 persons. per sq. mile. Think about that. Imagine that Montana has 38 times the population it has now, and imagine what the job competition in this poor economy would be like.

In other respects, it might be a good fit. I think that Shasta County can be seen as the "Big Sky Country of California". If you imagine every minute of every day and every night in Billings being 30 degrees warmer than it is --winter and summer -- that's pretty much Redding.

Quote:
What is there a lack of?
money

Old 06-24-2010, 07:19 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times
Howdy michael & family...

I don't know too much about how Redding is nowadays cept we've driven by/thru fer the last five lustrums. We used to live in CA.
It's unfortunate but land is pretty expensive just about everywhere. It took 6 years of looking fer us to find our forest place up here.

If i was looking for some land outside Redding, i think i'd look out WhiskeyTown Lake way. Once in a while i see a few acres on Craigslist.

Maybe it would suit y'all to start out with a single wide mobile, then later your dream home. Check what the county laws are. I've seen in some counties, if you upgrade to a doublewide or manu/modular home, the owner has to move their single wide off the property. Some folks have bought nice mobiles fer maybe $500 & up. Occasionally you even can find one free- just have to move it to your land. Then you have it leveled & install skirting. Hookup utilities,etc

These are just a couple ideas.

Best of Luck to Y'all.

Have a Great Evening Bro.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:54 AM

963 posts, read 3,032,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Maybe it would suit y'all to start out with a single wide mobile, then later your dream home.
...a dream home. In the State of Jefferson, I guess that would be a double-wide?

Old 06-26-2010, 10:42 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times
I think you will like Redding. The area is superb for outdoor living with Shasta Lake nearby as well as the Sierras. Redding is about as conservative as it gets in California so someone from Montana wouldn't be in culture shock. The climate can not be underestimated for very nice winters [less fog then the rest of the Sacramento valley] but intensely hot summers [some of the warmest temps in all of California outside the desert]. But AC makes it livable. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:14 PM

8 posts, read 35,039 times
Redding is hot in the summer but excellent 8 months out of the year....if you want cooler temps consider areas like Shingletown or Whitmore that are in the eastern foothills outside Redding. There is a mix of things here like mobiles and then Million Dollar homes and everything in between.No there are not tons of 20.00 hr jobs but there are two hospitals and plenty of things to do outdoors like fish,hike,explore, etc.

Last edited by NewToCA; 08-05-2012 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: edited out link to personal website

Old 08-15-2010, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Redding is a good little town, the entire area is nice though hot during the summers. I suggest you take a few days and visit, check out property and job potential. Those will be your biggest issues. Even though property is cheaper than in years past, it is still pricey compared to most places in the country. Jobs, no matter what you are willing to do are not easy to find, but that doesn't mean they do not exist.

So, hop in your car, take a week or so off and find out for yourselves.

Nita

Old 08-18-2010, 06:55 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,085,769 times
I for one would welcome anyone who wants to work in Redding.. and thinks 10.00 an hour is ok... its hard to get lower socio-economic people to work here and not collect unemployment instead

There are many free family activities

80 rural acres can still be purchased reasonably here.. especially if you can be an hour plus outside the city... and most likely at less cost than other places in California

Great low cost community college for training

I still see lower paying jobs available here all the time in varied classifications and if you aren't picky .. you will find one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California