Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 01:01 PM

6 posts, read 44,816 times

Advertisements

I am also looking at the Modesto area, but am not "stuck" there yet. My biggest concerns are having a school system with a lot of resources for my special needs child and a lot of activities for his very active twin sister! (Both 10 years old!). We live in a fairly rural community now south of Nashville, TN and I grew up in a college town, so I don't want MAJOR City, but not too rural either. Would Turlock, Paradice or Redding fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 05:11 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,151 times
Default Turlock, Paradise, and Redding

Turlock and Redding would fit your needs for a rural area not too far from services. Paradise may be too rural for you. Redding has lower housing costs than Turlock which has become a "bedroom" community for the Bay Area. If you are willing to stand a little (ok, a lot) of dry heat in the summer, Redding is very nice. It is also close to Mt. Shasta and other recreational areas. I think it's much nicer than the Modesto area. There's skiing close by and outlet shopping (one of my favorites ). But it also has a small town feel to it. It has all the large stores like Wal-Mart and Costco.

You might want to check with the County Offices of Education in Shasta County for Redding and Stanislaus County for Turlock to see what special education services would be available for your child. The county office should be able to let you know about services available through other county or state departments. If you decide to make the move, the parent helpline for Special Education services at the CA Dept. of Education is 1-800-926-0648.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:18 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
Just make sure you stay away from Scott Petersen and you should be fine.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:44 PM

9 posts, read 24,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidBlue View Post
There are some nice areas in Modesto, but there are also some really rough areas. Since you don't want to have to invest a lot of money in underwear, you might want to look just a little further out to Ceres or Turlock. Turlock used to be mainly big turkey farms (not making that up), but is now a bedroom community for the Bay Area. There are a lot of nice, new apartments and homes going in. Definitely stay away from Stockton---you'll need even more underwear.
If gangs are a concern DO NOT come to Ceres. When my family moved here from San Jose 17 years ago, the only thing I had to worry about was boredom. Now its gangs, drugs AND boredom. I would never live in Modesto although I do a lot of my shopping there and most of the jobs I've had have been there. If I could afford to move but still want to stay close I would move to Turlock. Its grown like crazy and has just about everything you need there but its still small and nice.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:52 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
All this talk about underwear is making me re-think the name of the town. It should be Turdlock!

Old 09-01-2006, 02:10 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,151 times
Default Turlock

Years ago Turlock's main industry was turkey farming, so my family always refers to it as Turkeylock.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,055 times
Thumbs down I Live in Modesto

I had to reply about Modesto because I live here. Not really by choice, just sort of ended up here. I will not be staying. I have lived in this area for over 38 years, and in Modesto particularly for 4 years.

The rents are not inexpensive at all--yes compared to the Bay Area, but not compared to the job opportunities. And speaking of jobs, I have excellent qualifications in my field, yet I cannot get a job. I am not bilingual and most jobs require you to be here. If you can get a job, you will be paid at least $5 an hour less than the Bay Area or Sacramento.

The crime that is prevalent here is property crime. I know three people who have recently have had their cars broken into and damaged. The police were so backed up with a "car crime spree" two weeks ago when my brother's truck was broken into that he ended up having to give his report over the phone because an officer could not come out--too busy. You do ocassionally see people who are clearly on "crank" around town, even in the good sections. Be careful where you live, some areas are just horrible.

Our weather is actually pretty nice. This summer was the first summer in over ten years that we had our blazing heat (unfortunately, several people died from it). Our fog has been really light also, but maybe it will be back this winter. Just please, turn on your lights and drive slow!

We have some really nice churches and decent shopping. We are close to the foothills for skiing and lakes and recreation. And only about 75 miles from San Francisco. Our traffic is bad, but not as bad as the Bay Area.

But everyone suffers terrible allergies here. If you don't have allergies, you will if you move here. Turlock is nice and Ripon is wonderful. If you are a school teacher, Modesto pays better than most anywhere else, for some reason!?!

If you single and over 40, good luck in meeting anyone here! Men look (well stare) but they rarely speak to you. When I travel out of this area, men always engage in nice conversations with me, but not here. Oh the worst thing: our baseball team is the Modesto Nuts--I'm not kidding!!!

Old 09-08-2006, 05:45 PM

313 posts, read 833,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia D View Post
The crime that is prevalent here is property crime. I know three people who have recently have had their cars broken into and damaged. The police were so backed up with a "car crime spree" two weeks ago when my brother's truck was broken into that he ended up having to give his report over the phone because an officer could not come out--too busy. You do ocassionally see people who are clearly on "crank" around town, even in the good sections. Be careful where you live, some areas are just horrible.

Our weather is actually pretty nice. This summer was the first summer in over ten years that we had our blazing heat (unfortunately, several people died from it). Our fog has been really light also, but maybe it will be back this winter. Just please, turn on your lights and drive slow!

But everyone suffers terrible allergies here. If you don't have allergies, you will if you move here.

If you single and over 40, good luck in meeting anyone here! Men look (well stare) but they rarely speak to you. When I travel out of this area, men always engage in nice conversations with me, but not here. Oh the worst thing: our baseball team is the Modesto Nuts--I'm not kidding!!!
My sis lives in Modesto still and their mail got stolen last week...the neighbors witnessed it and called the police. Their neighbors (same ones) have had 2 or 3 cars (parked) hit in front of their home within the last year. My sis has also had their cars broken into.

I'd have to disagree with the weather being nice. It is HOT in the summer. Modesto is usually hotter than we are here in Stockton. Last summer we had a really mild June just like this year but July and August were bad just like this year. It didn't get as hot as this year but we still had 30 days 100+ between July and August this year only 16.

Allergies are horrible here in the valley. I grew up in Modesto and never had a problem with allergies until I moved to San Diego for a year and half and came back. Now I have probs. Not as bad as others but I do have some allergies now.

LMAO!! My hubby and I still crack up over the Nuts! lol I can't beleive that it was the best choice to rename them! lol

Old 09-10-2006, 02:54 PM

6 posts, read 44,816 times
Thank you for your response and the info on Special Education. I have already contacted the Special Education Department for Turlock Schools and they responded beautifully. Thanks again. Kacy

Old 09-13-2006, 08:01 PM

318 posts, read 1,316,796 times
Hi,
Another nice place to live with very low crime is Valley Springs, CA. An hour from Modesto in the rolling hills with oak trees. Not a whole lot of apartments. But great schools. Nice people and we leave our back doors open at night to let the cool air in. It gets pretty hot. Brown in the summer. Pretty in the spring. Nearby towns are San Andreas, Jackson, Stockton. The biggest being Stockton. Alot of folks commute to Stockton, a half hour away.

Most homes are on 1/2 acre lots. There are some regular residental areas closer to town.

Izzy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California