U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2010, 03:15 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 5,576,304 times
Reputation: 816

Advertisements

I saw this analysis today of private sector job growth/loss in the last 10 years among US metro areas (which can include one or more counties).

Although we all know many jobs have been lost in the last 3 years, the overall 10 year result was striking.

The ranking number is how the area ranked against the 100 largest US metro areas in percentage of private sector job growth/loss.

Percentage Growth/Loss in Private Sector Jobs May 2000 to May 2010
2. Bakersfield MSA - jobs increase +15.87%
7. Riverside/San Bernardino MSA - jobs increase +10.53%
21. Fresno MSA - jobs increase +5.05%
27. Stockton MSA - jobs increase +3.01%
41. San Diego MSA - jobs increase +1.05%
42. Modesto MSA - jobs increase +1.02%
53. Oxnard/Thousand Oaks MSA - jobs decrease -1.13%
54. Sacramento MSA - jobs decrease -1.24%
80. Los Angeles MSA - jobs decrease -6.86%
93. San Francisco/Oakland MSA - jobs decrease -13.88%
99. San Jose MSA - jobs decrease -20.14%

Employment news is more bad than good - Business First of Buffalo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2010, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Piedmont, CA
34,186 posts, read 59,012,133 times
Reputation: 17568
The fact that the top metro has a growth rate of only 15% for the entire decade is evidence that the entire state sucks.

Also, the Bay Area lost 10%( a staggering 300,000 jobs) of its entire workforce during the dot-com bust between 2001 and 2003 so that answers that.

Basically this decade has seen 2 periods of significant corrections in the state economy, the dot com bust of the first part of the decade and now the current recession.

We basically were hit with a Double-whammy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 04:53 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 5,576,304 times
Reputation: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The fact that the top metro has a growth rate of only 15% for the entire decade is evidence that the entire state sucks.
The Bakersfield MSA population grew by about 27% in those 10 years, I don't know how much of that was workforce age adults. But roughly it sounds to me like it was basically treading water with new jobs, not getting much ahead.

Not good if that is the best job growth situation in the state the last 10 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 PM
 
12,824 posts, read 21,632,054 times
Reputation: 10967
Jobs moved inland or out of state.

I know, I moved thousands of them.

I had no choice. It was a business decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,877 posts, read 24,852,023 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The fact that the top metro has a growth rate of only 15% for the entire decade is evidence that the entire state sucks.

Also, the Bay Area lost 10%( a staggering 300,000 jobs) of its entire workforce during the dot-com bust between 2001 and 2003 so that answers that.

Basically this decade has seen 2 periods of significant corrections in the state economy, the dot com bust of the first part of the decade and now the current recession.

We basically were hit with a Double-whammy.
Based on the stats in that attachment, I'm not sure I agree with the point of view I bolded above.

They list 100 metro areas, and only 9 of the 100 have a growth rate above 10%, and two of those areas are in California (Bakersfield and Riverside-San Bernardino).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Piedmont, CA
34,186 posts, read 59,012,133 times
Reputation: 17568
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Based on the stats in that attachment, I'm not sure I agree with the point of view I bolded above.

They list 100 metro areas, and only 9 of the 100 have a growth rate above 10%, and two of those areas are in California (Bakersfield and Riverside-San Bernardino).

okay this is a quick calculation after looking at data from the bls and the CA state statistical abstract.

California Job Growth
1970s: +33%
1980s: +31%
1990s: +11%
2000s: -4%

This decade has been deplorable for job growth and 15% is a trickle compared to our peak from the 1950s through the 1980s.

Relatively speaking, 15% is good in 2010, but compared to where we were, no it sucks.

Good for Bakersfield, but its hardly due to companies moving there or real expansion its more normal growth due to increased population needs and that area is less prone to job losses in volatile industries.

Which is a double-edged sword because places like Bakersfield are also less likely to reap the economic rewards of strong growth when industries such as techonology and finance are in an upswing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, WA
6,282 posts, read 13,705,868 times
Reputation: 7266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
okay this is a quick calculation after looking at data from the bls and the CA state statistical abstract.

California Job Growth
1970s: +33%
1980s: +31%
1990s: +11%
2000s: -4%

This decade has been deplorable for job growth and 15% is a trickle compared to our peak from the 1950s through the 1980s.

Relatively speaking, 15% is good in 2010, but compared to where we were, no it sucks.

Good for Bakersfield, but its hardly due to companies moving there or real expansion its more normal growth due to increased population needs and that area is less prone to job losses in volatile industries.

Which is a double-edged sword because places like Bakersfield are also less likely to reap the economic rewards of strong growth when industries such as techonology and finance are in an upswing.
Yeah, I would be very interested to see which types of jobs grew in Bakersfield during that time. Have any of you seen the seemingly endless oil fields littering eastern Bakersfield. It is pretty gross to look at from a purely aethestic point of view. Although I'm sure that brings in some kind of blue collar work for the locals.

Derek
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 PM
 
212 posts, read 423,954 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yeah, I would be very interested to see which types of jobs grew in Bakersfield during that time. Have any of you seen the seemingly endless oil fields littering eastern Bakersfield. It is pretty gross to look at from a purely aethestic point of view. Although I'm sure that brings in some kind of blue collar work for the locals.

Derek



Pure aesthetics does not a country make... It does makes a vacation spot, where the majority of the local economy is supported by tourists.

Sounds like Monterey? ...an economy that is not self supporting.


Those oil derricks and the associated "blue collar" jobs are absolutely wonderful things. When the majority of this country sees that taping our energy resources, bringing back manufacturing, and expanding productive agriculture are absolute necessities, then our economy will rebound, and once again be the world leader.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2010, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, WA
6,282 posts, read 13,705,868 times
Reputation: 7266
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
Pure aesthetics does not a country make... It does makes a vacation spot, where the majority of the local economy is supported by tourists.

Sounds like Monterey? ...an economy that is not self supporting.


Those oil derricks and the associated "blue collar" jobs are absolutely wonderful things. When the majority of this country sees that taping our energy resources, bringing back manufacturing, and expanding productive agriculture are absolute necessities, then our economy will rebound, and once again be the world leader.
While I don't think adding an abundance of new onshore and offshore drilling is going to be the answer to California's ailing economy, I'm not against drilling altogether. However it is only a small part of the larger picture. I am simply stating the obvious with regards to Bakerfield's limited growth. It is most likely due the the drilling. And yes, it is ugly looking. Have you seen this area yourself? And how about investing in alternative fuels? Our nation's dependency on fossil fuel has caused our more problems/wars than just about any other resource. And I am not in favor of more drilling off our coastline or other areas in the Sierra Foothills for example. They can drill all they want in more remote places like the desert. Just don't pollute our oceans, rivers or mountains. The land and sea themselves are precious resources. We have to preserve this part of our state lest we become another wasteland of clear cut forests and abandoned oil fields with polution killing off our fish and wildlife.

BTW, there is much more to Monterey than tourism which itself is a huge industry. But most tourists only notice that part of the area. We actually have Silicon Valley refugees driving in for jobs in high tech and other areas as well. Not to mention the Salinas Valley which is one of the largest agricultural regions in tht nation only miles from the coast (in Monterey County). So you are making incorrect assumptions based on lack of knowledge of the area. But at least you sound smug in doing so.

If you simply look at the numbers for the city of Monterey for example the unemplyment rate is much lower than the state average at 5%. Compare that to Bakersfield even with the growth mentioned in the article above. It's unemployment rate is over twice that of Monterey at 11%. And then your city of Sacramento is over 14%. So I'd say Monterey is faring better than most areas during this bad economic time. And yes, the Monterey Bay is a protected National Marine Sanctuary as it should be.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-03-2010 at 01:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2010, 12:49 PM
 
212 posts, read 423,954 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
While I don't think adding an abundance of new onshore and offshore drilling is going to be the answer to California's ailing economy, I'm not against drilling altogether. However it is only a small part of the larger picture. I am simply stating the obvious with regards to Bakerfield's limited growth. It is most likely due the the drilling. And yes, it is ugly looking. Have you seen this area yourself? And how about investing in alternative fuels? Our nation's dependency on fossil fuel has caused our more problems/wars than just about any other resource. And I am not in favor of more drilling off our coastline or other areas in the Sierra Foothills for example. They can drill all they want in more remote places like the desert. Just don't pollute our oceans, rivers or mountains. The land and sea themselves are precious resources. We have to preserve this part of our state lest we become another wasteland of clear cut forests and abandoned oil fields with polution killing off our fish and wildlife.

BTW, there is much more to Monterey than tourism which itself is a huge industry. But most tourists only notice that part of the area. We actually have Silicon Valley refugees driving in for jobs in high tech and other areas as well. Not to mention the Salinas Valley which is one of the largest agricultural regions in tht nation only miles from the coast (in Monterey County). So you are making incorrect assumptions based on lack of knowledge of the area. But at least you sound smug in doing so.

If you simply look at the numbers for the city of Monterey for example the unemplyment rate is much lower than the state average at 5%. Compare that to Bakersfield even with the growth mentioned in the article above. It's unemployment rate is over twice that of Monterey at 11%. And then your city of Sacramento is over 14%. So I'd say Monterey is faring better than most areas during this bad economic time. And yes, the Monterey Bay is a protected National Marine Sanctuary as it should be.

Derek





Smug? Derek.

Not exactly an appropriate term...



//www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...y-Economy.html
Major Industries and Commercial Activity

Once a leading fishing and whaling port, Monterey county's economic mainstays now are tourism and the military. While tourism has always been a major component in the city's economy, it has become the dominant industry in the last 30 years, supporting more than one third of Monterey jobs. Today, hotel taxes provide 29 percent of the city budget and the main source of funding for municipal services is derived from the visitor industry. The prime tourist season runs April through Thanksgiving. While the city's economy suffered greatly from the lack of travel due to the events of September 11, 2001, Monterey tourism is on the rebound. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is the prime attraction, and numerous restaurants, art galleries, gift shops, and an Antiques Mall have created a wide variety of shopping opportunities. Tourists also come to observe the special events tied to the historic Cannery Row Area, made famous by novelist John Steinbeck, local son of the nearby city of Salinas. Its reputation as a world class golfing destination brings golfers to the championship golf courses at Pebble Beach and other area courses. Independent travelers (those not with a tour group) make up the largest class of overnight visitors to the Monterey Bay Area and are primarily from elsewhere in California. It is estimated that 4 million people visit Monterey each year. The city's population increases to nearly 70,000 during tourist seasons.
Unemployment rate: 12.9% (December 2004)



Google - public data

According to the US Bureau of Labor and Statistic, as of June 15th 2010, the unemployment rate in Monterey Country, CA is 12.7%

Actually, they also report Sacramento at 12.5%.




http://www.ecanned.com/CA/Bakersfield_MSA.shtml
Sunday, February 11, 2007

Bakersfield Five-Year Industry Employment Change

Total employment has increased by 14.6 percent from 2001 (2nd Quarter). These figures are greater than percent in California, which saw a gain of 2.8 percent since 2001 ( 2nd Quarter). The gains were greater than than the gain reported at the US level of 2.6 percent.

[SIZE=4] The Bakersfield Metro Area: Five-Year Percentage Growth in Employment[/SIZE]

The Other chemical product and preparation mfg. industry has gone through the largest job growth by percent, increasing by 371.4 percent from 2001 to 2006. This industry in Bakersfield has grow faster than the growth seen in the industry for California, where the industry took a gain of 2.5 percent. The Other chemical product and preparation mfg. industry in Bakersfield outpaced the US in terms of percent growth of industry employment. During this period, the US lost 13.6 percent of the employment in this industry.

Top 5 Industries
1. Other chemical product and preparation mfg. (371.4 percent gain)
2. ISPs and web search portals (265.5 percent gain)
3. Freight transportation arrangement (158.1 percent gain)
4. Other professional and technical services (150.8 percent gain)
5. Management and technical consulting services (141.3 percent gain)










This is off point, though. The fact is that we must use our resources. Particularly, to remain competitive with countries who do not have the restrictions of labor laws and environmental laws that we decided to place when we had little competition abroad. This self-imposed blood letting.... now, is why manufacturing must move abroad.

How much hardware, which you supposedly write code for, is made in the USA?

If you do not want to tap our resources, fine, but we must then have tariffs and a closed economy. Which other countries will retaliate for, in kind.

As to alternative energy. There is only one. Nuclear. The rest is all feel good bullS..T. Just look up the raw efficiency ratios. On a more practical and simple level though, the sun does not always shine and the wind does not always blow. ...and even if you harvest where it partially does, we can't efficiently transmit the energy.

Nuclear and Oil (although, I do believe we will someday grow our own oil... which I guess at this time in an "alternative energy").


...I do so love hearing the religious naturists espousing the "not in my backyard", or not in my "nature preserve" BS, but then driving the newest car, demanding the newest computer, wearing the newest clothing, complaining that the A/C is not working....

...all this stuff. Much of which is made where they don't give a damn about the environment or working 11 year old kids 60 hours a week...

It is not all one world. ...this is why, oil derricks and jobs in Bakersfield is a WONDERFUL thing for California overall.

Last edited by AwayAndBackToSac; 07-03-2010 at 12:58 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top