Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 AM

122 posts, read 364,973 times

Advertisements

May I say this. I know they don't get overtime. Ok so they do get: medi-cal (free), food stamps (free) and sometimes AFDC (free). I know this for a fact, I live in Bakersfield california which is a farming community, they get paid and since their income is so low they get extras from the govt. Do not feel bad for them or the people who work at Wal mart. They make so little that most of the time, they get medi-cal and food stamps to supplement their income.

These are hard jobs but let's face reality, there used to be guest worker programs called "bracero". These programs allowed the workers to come here from Mexico and pick during the season and then return to their country. The real issue is not overtime but all the other costs incurred by these workers on the side. The unions are doing a tricky looky here, looky there to get the attention off the immigration laws that are about to pass everywhere.

As such an "advanced" country (uh-hum) we should by now have a national ID that is digitally enhanced and not counterfeit prone. This stuff about social security cards and Driver's Licenses for verification of immigration status does not work. Let's deal with the real issue here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 10:06 AM

3,951 posts, read 7,181,649 times
Well these days we don't have many farmworkers in CA anyways being that Congress shut off water to farmers so they could save Smelt fish.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:25 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Ok, let's look a couple of things: 1-yes, those flipping burgers are paid OT but many (I am guessing 90%) are part time so they don't work that many hours. 2-it is called lack of education. Again, I haven't seen stats, but can pretty well guess 90% of all farm workers don't have a highschool educaation. No education, crappy jobs. Of course they work hard, but they can choose to finish school and learn to read, write and fill out a job application. Maybe then they can get hired to flip burgers. and last but certainly not least, we all know a huge majority are illegals. They are lucky to be working in our country period. They could be deported or stuck in jail. Those who support illegals are either illegal themselves or have illegal family and friends.

Nita

Old 07-25-2010, 01:42 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,325,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes! I believe it. Sorry, but if the working conditions don't meet their needs, wants and desires, do something else or better yet, stay home.

It's hard to believe but soldiers putting their lives on the line, sometimes 24/7, don't get paid overtime and when I enlisted as a Private E-nothing we made $87.90 a month whether we needed it or not. There was a little shooting war going on called Vietnam and most of us were sent there we were earning $96.90-100.00 a month. As a junior officer (2nd and 1st LT) I made $303.90-420.30 a month.

Sorry, SUR. I know they work hard under sometimes lousy conditions but my sympathies stop just short of my wallet. I also know many farmers/ranchers who pay much better. It's kinda like the choice between flipping burgers and getting an education and real career.
Sorry Cal Sur but I kind of have to go with curmudgeon on this one.

When you're paid under the table and not even a documented worker in most cases, those laws don't apply to you. This isn't just true of farm workers. I also have to agree with the comparison made with active duty soldiers who are documented and risking their lives for the very nation and people who employ migrant workers and by, virtue of them being here, those farm workers too are being protected as well.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
So a person flipping hamburgers gets overtime pay after 8 hours of work but not a farmworker? So how is that even justified? Sounds very biased with strong racist overtones to me.
Dude, it's not racist in the slightest. Most people flipping hamburgers today are the same ethnicity as the farm workers.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
And he also conveniently ignored the fact that the hamburger flippers in this state are overwhelmingly of the same race as the farm workers. They both can't pronounce the "j" in yob... I mean job.
ahhh I hate when I'm late

Old 07-25-2010, 01:55 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,857,793 times
23 days is beyond late. Jus sayin...

Old 07-25-2010, 01:58 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,857,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Dude, it's not racist in the slightest.
The boy sees racists in every corner. He needs some more years of seasoning before he'll be able to recognize the real thang.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 PM

50,159 posts, read 46,820,657 times
Quote:
The boy sees racists in every corner. He needs some more years of seasoning before he'll be able to recognize the real thang.
Or be taken seriously on any topic. It's called a "Professional Victim".

Old 07-26-2010, 01:57 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,398,089 times
Quote:
23 days is beyond late. Jus sayin...
Isn't that, "yus" sayin'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California