Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 03:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's been done. People from other states who have never been to California, or people who moved away come in and start going on and on about how horrible CA is. I think you can state your case for moving without putting down the entire state, or the people who actually enjoy living here.

No worries

It just seems there is SO MUCH negativity in the California threads that I get a little defensive about my choice to stay. If you're constantly told that you're 'stupid' for staying somewhere you love wouldn't you get just a tad defensive as well?
I certainly understand your defense, I think many of us do the same when people blast where we have chosen to live, especially those who have nver stepped foot in the state, but I also think sometimes people mistake normal comments as totally negative. I for one, miss things about California but I also see many things that keep it from being total paradise to many. This isn't being negative or saying how horrible it is, just that there are things that could stand improving. We remember Calif 20,30 or 50 years ago and now see a different place.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 04:31 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
It's not always easy to live a "down home" type of life in So CA anymore...For instance what if I don't want to buy a new car every few years or don't want to buy a trendy and status-conscious type of vehicle?...I will probably be "looked down on" and judged harshly...all because I don't do "trade-ins" on a regular basis.....The truth is that I like to hold on to my possessions a little longer and bond with what I have...and enjoy what I have etc...I don't want to feel obligated to "upgrade" all the time....I don't put "new" up on a high pedestal and throw out the "old" every few years or even sooner.....I don't wrap my identity around "keeping current" and following every new trend....I have a different type of value system and like to enjoy what I buy for many years without having to live in fear of being labeled a "hick" or ??? I moved out of So CA so I could be true to myself and my own personal value system.....This didn't seem possible in So CA anymore.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I'm not sure that I put Ca down in my reasons for leaving and if I did I apologize...I was extremely tired of the same ol, same ol and really wanted something new, BUT, Ca will always be my home. I feel like I can put it down but nobody else better lol....That was my home for the first 35 years of my life...funny, when we left Ca, we would always be sure to tell people that we weren't actually from Missouri, we were from California....then we found out quickly that people don't think as highly of us as we do haha....isn't it ironic though, people outside of Ca are always complaining about Ca and it's crazy inhabitants, but they are all so quick to move there!
I don't consider it negativity for me to say that for ME I love Oklahoma and don't want to go back to California. I do consider the overpopulation, smog, illegal situation, stress, pace of life and the whole way it isn't recognizable to me as where I lived to be a negative about it, but that is to me. I can't say for anyone else. I do think when there are posts which are straight from the pr guys someone needs to say its not really like that. And when someone says that smog isn't really that much of a problem I feel free to say that it has signifintly impacted my life and if you have kids don't just dismiss it. Adults make their own decisions, kids don't have the choice.

I do miss seeing mountains. I wasn't much for the beach even if I lived there for 15 years since I got sunburned way too easy. But I love the sight of mountains. Of course, in Riverside where I lived the hills were often hidden under the muck in the air. I really don't miss the other things. I wonder how many of those who don't see it as too fast and unfriendly a place came later when it had already changed. My base is when I was a kid and it was a lot more like here than what is there now.

I think we all should be able to love where we live. If we don't, if we are unhappy and miserable and want to go we should. Of course, it takes effort to do it and there is the risk you'll find a someplace you don't want to be. But what is the enjoyment in life if you are never willing to try and find what is better and what is the freedom in life if you always give into fear?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
It's not always easy to live a "down home" type of life in So CA anymore...For instance what if I don't want to buy a new car every few years or don't want to buy a trendy and status-conscious type of vehicle?...I will probably be "looked down on" and judged harshly...all because I don't do "trade-ins" on a regular basis.....
I don't mean this in an insulting way, but if you care what other people think about the car you drive, the problem would seem to be with you, not with California.

There are many millions of people in this state who drive all sorts of junk cars and they seem to do all right.

I personally think that once you budget enough money to get basic reliable transport, any additional premium you choose to pay for a vehicle is a silly waste of money. I sure as hell wouldn't pay extra for perceived "status."

I never understand why some people brag about the car they chose to buy. It's not like it's a unique piece of art or something they personally designed or crafted. It's a mass-produced comsumer item of which I could buy an identical copy if I were so inclined.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:22 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
It's not always easy to live a "down home" type of life in So CA anymore...For instance what if I don't want to buy a new car every few years or don't want to buy a trendy and status-conscious type of vehicle?...I will probably be "looked down on" and judged harshly...all because I don't do "trade-ins" on a regular basis.....The truth is that I like to hold on to my possessions a little longer and bond with what I have...and enjoy what I have etc...I don't want to feel obligated to "upgrade" all the time....I don't put "new" up on a high pedestal and throw out the "old" every few years or even sooner.....I don't wrap my identity around "keeping current" and following every new trend....I have a different type of value system and like to enjoy what I buy for many years without having to live in fear of being labeled a "hick" or ??? I moved out of So CA so I could be true to myself and my own personal value system.....This didn't seem possible in So CA anymore.
I have a similar value system, and I'm happier than a pig in **** here in So Cal. Maybe that's because I don't care what anyone else thinks about my 13 year old car with the paint falling off it, my clothes and furniture that mostly come from thrift stores, and my old, fat, non-designer breed mutt with the ugly skin allergies.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
We left 3 years ago. We left the Central Valley because of the air quality and weather. We left the state because we couldn't afford the same lifestyle any place else in the state that had better weather and better air quality.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:02 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
It's not always easy to live a "down home" type of life in So CA anymore...For instance what if I don't want to buy a new car every few years or don't want to buy a trendy and status-conscious type of vehicle?
Yeah because everyone in California buys a new car every few years and nobody in California owns a car under $30k.

Just for amusement I just looked out my window, out of 16 cars/trucks only 1 is a status-conscious car (its a BMW, though the owner bought it used). The majority are 5+ years old.

And this is not even close to being one of the cheaper areas of Southern California.

Quote:
I will probably be "looked down on" and judged harshly...all because I don't do "trade-ins" on a regular basis.....The truth is that I like to hold on to my possessions a little longer and bond with what I have...
The truth is that your concern here is completely imagined, nobody cares whether the car you are driving is 3 or 8 years old.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 31,820 times
looking to leave right now... Moved to Texas a few years ago when the economy crashed came back because of family... but the state just looks run down and beaten up. Want out because COST OF LIVING! I can make the same amount of money in other states and have something to show for it or stay here and live in a crappy apt in a crappy neighborhood. Plus, people in other states are NICER. I have lived in TX, GA and Toronto... so it's not like I don't have any experience, plus I have lived in LA OC and SF.. and people in NorCal are way nicer than the vapid LA/OC.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:24 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,574 times
I love CA. unfortunately, i needed to be a stay at home parent with my daughter and just couldn't manage it on my husband's engineering salary alone. we also wanted to move to a place that had better schools on average, and better air quality. so here we are in colorado. I miss CA, I miss its cultural diversity, the ease of shopping/eating for vegetarians and those with dietary issues, I miss the beach and I miss trader joes and Ikea . that said, I love colorado. I'd move again in a minute for the same reasons, I'd just set up an ikea/trader joes shopping network beforehand .

Old 07-18-2010, 02:31 AM

5 posts, read 9,490 times
I saw someone brought up IN n OUT thing on early comments of this thread.
Speaking of IN n OUT, it is very convenient hamburger place let alone it tastes good.
IN n OUT is kind of similar to White Castle in menu and a size of hamburger but I prefer IN n OUT.
sure a bit off topic. oh I really miss IN n OUT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California