U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 03:37 PM

7,412 posts, read 9,725,337 times

Advertisements

Today the federal government filed a lawsuit against Arizona over the immigration law that the governor of Arizona signed a few months ago. The feds agreed with the many California cities that called for boycotts of Arizona due to a law that is both unconstitutional and in violation of federal authority. I think this will stop the implementation of the Arizona law and perhaps the boycotts will be called off as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/...t.html?_r=1&hp
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 03:41 PM

16,798 posts, read 38,076,548 times
What balls. The feds don't do their job, then sue the first entity that has the chutzpah to do something about it.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:57 PM

115 posts, read 552,618 times
It is not because of illegal immigration. Say, if you were hispanic and were in this country legally. A police officer should not just stop that hispanic and ask him for paperwork that he is in this country legally. That will make hispanic people just scared of just going outside or driving. That is not America or freedom and I do agree with what the federal government is doing.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:10 PM

7,412 posts, read 9,725,337 times
It was a poorly written law that only created discord among American citizens. Arizona can not be faulted for being concerned about the border but the policy was unconstitutional. They may want to seek a better solution to the problem that does not violate federal law.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:10 PM

83 posts, read 178,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamen View Post
It is not because of illegal immigration. Say, if you were hispanic and were in this country legally. A police officer should not just stop that hispanic and ask him for paperwork that he is in this country legally. That will make hispanic people just scared of just going outside or driving. That is not America or freedom and I do agree with what the federal government is doing.
If you read the law, an officer CANNOT just stop anyone who looks Hispanic, that's bull! You have to be breaking a law first, then the officer can ask to see I.D. Then and ONLY then can you be arrested for not having proper papers. Please don't make this into a race law, cause it isn't!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:14 PM

23,594 posts, read 35,626,955 times
Default Feds Agree w/ California; Sue Arizona

I certainly wouldn't brag about it!

I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when:
1. Pulled over by the police.
2. Making purchases on my department store credit card.
3. When I show up for a doctor's appointment.
4. When filling out a credit card or loan application.
5. When applying for or renewing a driver's license or passport.
6. When applying for any kind of insurance.
7. When filling out college applications.
8. When donating blood.
9. When obtaining certain prescription drugs.
10. When making some debit purchases, especially if I'm out of state.
11. When collecting a boarding pass for airline or train travel.
12. When writing or cashing a check.

I'm sure there are more instances, but the point is that we citizens of the USA are required to prove who we are nearly every day!

Why should people in this country illegally, be exempt!!!!!

Why shouldn't we guard our borders as closely as every other country in the world does?

Go ARIZONA !!!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:15 PM

12,380 posts, read 25,852,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwine? View Post
If you read the law, an officer CANNOT just stop anyone who looks Hispanic, that's bull! You have to be breaking a law first, then the officer can ask to see I.D. Then and ONLY then can you be arrested for not having proper papers. Please don't make this into a race law, cause it isn't!
Did you see the video they released they other day........for training. Its was borderline racial profiling.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It was a poorly written law that only created discord among American citizens. Arizona can not be faulted for being concerned about the border but the policy was unconstitutional. They may want to seek a better solution to the problem that does not violate federal law.
This law is a copy of the FEDERAL LAW! THe Feds just don't want to enforce it! PEople in AZ are sick of the trash,crime and racist attitudes of illegals. They had to do something! COngrats to a state that has the balls to enforce a law our gov is against!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Did you see the video they released they other day........for training. Its was borderline racial profiling.
I willwatch it, but in now way should they be training officers how to racial profile, I heard just the opposite from alot of others.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:22 PM

205 posts, read 198,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwine? View Post
I willwatch it, but in now way should they be training officers how to racial profile, I heard just the opposite from alot of others.
Again, why do you assume cops don't abuse their power? They already pull people over they feel are suspicious. So they will be making routine stops to see who's illegal or not based on suspicion. The law does not have to say profiling. Can you all not read between the lines here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California