Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 11:09 PM

8 posts, read 21,499 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know much about the town of Windsor, in Sonoma county? We're a couple with 2 young children, and are looking to move to northern California from the San Diego area. We can live anywhere in California with my husband's job, as long as we're relatively close to an airport. We're looking for somewhere with a liberal-feel, a lot of outdoors activities, mild but seasonal weather, and very family-friendly. We recently visited the towns of Sonoma and Sebastopol, but missed Windsor. Any help would really be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:17 PM

171 posts, read 670,395 times
Let me tell you, as a 19 year old college student who still resides and grew up in Windsor. Its amazing. The schools are GREAT. Windsor Unified School District (WUSD) is the only one in Sonoma County with growing enrollment, that speaks volume. I went 3rd-12th grade in Windsor and can tell you the students and teachers and the facilities were amazing, the high school is so great it feels like a private school.

Also, just to show how good the schools are, people from Santa Rosa and other areas want to move to Windsor to be able to enroll there kids in Windsor schools but often can't afford Windsor.

Windsor has a lot of outdoor activities, plenty of parks and meadows. There is ample shopping and dining.

There is a liberal feel, people don't get up in your business, people generally tend to walk around with smiles and there is a sense of community.

The thing that I always tell people that I like the most about Windsor is its safety. You can walk around Windsor at any hour and feel safe and no one is going to bother you.

Windsor is actually a decent sized town but still has that small town vibe, which I also love.

If you have any more questions or want to know about specific areas, schools, where to live, etc. please don't hesitate to ask.

Now I know you're from San Diego so the closest thing I can compare Windsor to in Southern California is probably Westlake Village

Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 AM

99 posts, read 380,483 times
I too live in Windsor but only for the past 3 years. Don't have kids but have heard very good things about the schools here.

Windsor is a family oriented town with numerous parks - both large and small. Just about any time something is going on at the Town Green there is always something available for the kids as well as the adults.

If I had kids going to school Windsor is certainly one of the places I would look at.

Only thing is that while there is an airport here you need to keep in mind that there is only on airline that services it. most of the time you will be driving a minimum of two hours to get to SF, Oakland or Sac.

Out of the other towns you mentioned I have lived in both. Sonoma for 10 years and Sebastopol for about year. For what you are looking for I would vote for Windsor!

Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 PM

171 posts, read 670,395 times
Yeah the Sonoma County Charles M Schulz Airport only has 1 airline that services it (Horizon Airlines) with 5 daily flights. But, it has a TON of private airplane traffic.

The problems with Sonoma and Sebastopol is that they're kind of isolated.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:45 PM

137 posts, read 327,887 times
I live between Sebastopol & Santa Rosa (born and raised here) but am very familiar with Windsor. It is very family friendly, as noted by others. It is quite different from Sebastopol or Sonoma - newer, fresh, well-kept, more upbeat (I'd describe Sebastopol as funky and Sonoma as semi-depressed). It is close enough to Santa Rosa - and further down the road, to Marin County and then San Francisco -if you want/need something, but also set apart. All the communities in Sonoma County have their own personalities. From your description it sounds like Windsor might be a good fit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California