U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 04:22 PM

109 posts, read 140,516 times

Advertisements

Here is an honest post...

I'm 35, single guy, born/raised in the gulf coast. 2 years ago for nearly a year, I lived in the bay area - I have an aunt (also from the gulf coast) who lives and works in san francisco, and she invited me to come out and stay with her in '08. Now this aunt, has some rental houses back here on the gulf coast, and she needed me to come back here and get 2 of them cleaned up after the last people moved out, so they could be rented again - and I never made it back away from the gulf coast, so I have been back here since july of '08, nearly 2 years to the day.

Ok, so fast forward 2 years, to the present - again i'm working on one of my aunt's rental houses, near all but finished actually, and we already have renters lined up, that want to move in in roughly a week, so my job being done here, it's near time for me to pack up my little setup here, and head out.

Now since i had to come back here in '08, i've been wanting and waiting for a chance to move back out west - and i'm thinking that rather than go and find a place here now that i've got this house ready to rent, maybe this falls to a natural time for me to leave here again...

I'm wondering if anyone can advise me, as to a pretty cheap and safe area, I may could rent a small efficiency or studio at, in southern or central coastal cal, being from a coastal area, I prefer to live in proximity to the ocean.

I've got a little put back, and my aunt is gonna help me out, in return for getting this house ready to rent, but i've gotta keep it on the cheap. Things have never been easy/ideal for me, so this place/area needn't be either - I spent my summers here growing up digging in my aunts' yards in 100 degree heat, and at this age of 35, i'm ready to get out of it, I've always liked cooler, temperatures and less humidity anyway.

I'd just assume get the hell out of here, as soon as the people are ready to move into this house, but I need advice, hence this post...

I'm drug free and clean cut, but I do like my beer In most other ways, i'm more the solitary/quiet type.

Thanks for thoughts in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 05:19 PM

6,664 posts, read 28,112,846 times
Some great deals on Northern coast property. Fort Bragg you could buy a home on the sand cheaper than a home in Indio.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:13 PM

6,323 posts, read 13,748,304 times
There are a number of questions which come to mind when thinking of the best place for you like:

1. Do you need to be near a medium or larger city for work?

2. What's the furthest from SF you would want to live?

3. What general price range are you thinking for a studio?

4. Are you ok with clouds, fog or do you want more sun?

There are a lot of great coastal areas near the Bay area - Santa Cruz, Monterey area (Seaside, Marina more affordable rentals). Moss Landing, Watsonville and Castroville area have some affordable places as well. But they may have more crime than you like.

Further north - McKinleyville, Tinidad, Crecent City

Further south - Los Osos, Pismo, Ventura, Oxnard

Most will depend upon your answer to the above questions? Craigslist is the best place to get an idea of prices for rentals.

Derek

Old 07-11-2010, 06:19 PM

109 posts, read 140,516 times
guys, thanks for the responses - it doesnt have to be in the bay area.... southern to north, anywhere, would be just fine

Old 07-11-2010, 06:22 PM

6,323 posts, read 13,748,304 times
I just did a quick search and found a couple of nice potential places here:

Pacific Grove ( a very nice higher end beach town ): Fully furnished separate studio cottage (http://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/1835099896.html - broken link)

Charming Studio in Beautiful Location (http://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/1833163086.html - broken link)

Marina ( an ok area, not too bad right on the beach ): basic apartment (http://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/1837333567.html - broken link)

Monterey ( Very nice beach city ) : YOUR OWN ENTRANCE (http://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/1837308696.html - broken link)

All these are $800 a month or less.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-11-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Old 07-11-2010, 07:26 PM

705 posts, read 1,520,896 times
Really depends what scene you want, do you care if you have a big city thats close? The north coast and La and everything inbetween are all different areas, I would take a drive and see what fits you best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California