Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:45 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times

Advertisements

Both times I left (the first time for my military hitch, the second time for a few years in Eastern WA) I missed the following:

• Non-humid Summers (this is when I was in the Southeast and overseas)
• Good Mexican food
• Oddly enough, Santa Ana winds
• Eucalyptus trees
• The smell of chaparral and creosote bushes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 05:49 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
I'm 'sposed ta miss sumpin' 'bout Californy?

Actually, I do. I miss the ocean having been born, brought up on and lived close to it most of my life. I miss good taquerias and the ability to find many other ethnic restaurants; especially when they're all within walking distance of one another. I miss being able to walk a block and a half and get really good chili rellenos to bring home for Sunday brunch. An In-N-Out would be nice as well. What's really missing is really good, Chinese take-out (delivery is even better) and a large variety of great dim sum for those Sunday mornings we want a change from the rellenos. We used to go to the Sunday farmers market then pick up the dim sum on the way home.

Come to think of it, I miss close-by farmers markets. I think the closest one to us is about 50 miles away. Now that I've mentioned delivery, the thought occurs that there is no food delivery out here in the boonies except for Schwan's. That's not the same.

CA decidedly has a lot to offer. Living here is very different but still enjoyable. There are always trade-offs.

As an example of just how convenient CA can be. I could take our Honda to any one of three or four close-by dealers to have it serviced. Max travel time about 20 minutes. Tomorrow I have to drive 60 miles and over an hour to do the same.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:00 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,708,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Actually, I do. I miss the ocean having been born, brought up on and lived close to it most of my life. I miss good taquerias and the ability to find many other ethnic restaurants; especially when they're all within walking distance of one another. I miss being able to walk a block and a half and get really good chili rellenos to bring home for Sunday brunch. An In-N-Out would be nice as well. What's really missing is really good, Chinese take-out (delivery is even better) and a large variety of great dim sum for those Sunday mornings we want a change from the rellenos. We used to go to the Sunday farmers market then pick up the dim sum on the way home.

Come to think of it, I miss close-by farmers markets. I think the closest one to us is about 50 miles away. Now that I've mentioned delivery, the thought occurs that there is no food delivery out here in the boonies except for Schwan's. That's not the same.

Like Fontucky, I also miss the non-humid summer weather, and add the delta breezes in Sacramento which cooled the evenings. For some strange reason, I, too, miss the Santa Ana winds from my childhood in Newport Beach.

CA decidedly has a lot to offer. Living here is very different but still enjoyable. There are always trade-offs.
isn't it funny how a 30 minute drive to go to the grocery store is nothing now? lol

Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,708,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Both times I left (the first time for my military hitch, the second time for a few years in Eastern WA) I missed the following:

• Non-humid Summers (this is when I was in the Southeast and overseas)
• Good Mexican food
• Oddly enough, Santa Ana winds
• Eucalyptus trees
• The smell of chaparral and creosote bushes
I miss Santa Ana winds too! Funny, when we watch the movie The Holiday and they are talking about Santa Ana winds, it makes me homesick! And I LOVE the smell of Eucalyptus!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, full sets of teeth....

Old 07-13-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
isn't it funny how a 30 minute drive to go to the grocery store is nothing now? lol
Yup. It's just how you do business. Eucalyptus trees do smell wonderful but I REALLY miss the scent of orange blossoms and the fruit that used to waft all through Orange County back in the day when it was mostly orchards.

Quote:
Yeah, full sets of teeth....
Aw, shucks. Then people wouldn't have such an easy time pickin' out the real hillbillies and we'd lose that tourist revenue.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I REALLY miss the scent of orange blossoms and the fruit that used to waft all through Orange County back in the day when it was mostly orchards.
I can fill that bill with the citrus trees on my property rat cheah in ol Fontanny.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I can fill that bill with the citrus trees on my property rat cheah in ol Fontanny.
Nuthin' better! Wonder if there are ANY left in OC.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:32 PM

705 posts, read 1,653,382 times
Some other things that I miss when I am abroad:

1. Bay Area weather, crispy ocean air, proper hiking/mountain biking
2. The food, good taqurias are few and far between when traveling abroad
3.Unique California landscape and all it offers, the flora and fauna, the sights and smells of the Mountains, Valley(not the smells), and the Bay Area.
4. Good Vietnamese and Asian food, this one cannot be understated.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:36 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times
Im pretty typical I guess.
I miss the ocean, the smell of the ocean, the sand on my feet, the tide pools. The "wow" coming over the hill and seeing the mighty Pacific and feeling the cool breeze hit your face like air conditioning. I miss wearing shorts and flip/flops in February. I miss coastal micro climates, being hot at day time and needing a sweat shirt at night. I miss bbq tri tip. I miss dutch crunch bread. I miss good sourdough bread. I miss the smell of agriculture, wild flowers & herbs, and fresh fruit. The access and availability of very high quality produce, and festivals for this and that veggie or fruit. I miss being able have the choice on a weekend to be in drastically different places. Do you want an weekend urban getaway in San Fran? or Carmel? or Napa? or Santa Barbara or Tahoe, or Palm Springs? or San Diego? Redwoods?
I could go on, but.......there are things I dont miss to, but thats not what this thread is all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California