Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelife8 View Post
Thank you so much for the response. I do realize the mammoth task I'm trying to undertake, for the same reason I wanted to test the waters. Even though moving from where I am is something I have to do, but where I move is still flexible.

I would truly appreciate any guidance as to which cities would be better suited. For the few months which I can support myself, I will have about 10,000 USD min. And yes, I have just completed my undergraduate in psychology.

I probably sound naive but I'm aware of the job market and the dicey situation I'm in but my options are limited and any advice would be truly appreciated.

Thanks again!!
We have tried to give you advise but it seems you would rather just have people say come, come, come. Instead we are saying, stay where you are until you have your baby and/or have a job with a written contract lined up. You will be very hard pressed to find anything and I mean anything under the circustances. Yes, Sac would probably be your best shot, but it is still very questionable.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
OKC

Before you laugh...

I have to relocate for work, and I almost went there... Some days, as I see what the California legislature is pondering, I wish I had. Oklahoma city did not get hit by the housing troubles because they had no to a minimal housing bubble in the first place. I was very impressed with the city and people. You could live quite well there, for less than in most of California, say in Norman and maybe Edmond. If things go poorly, as they likely will in the next decade in California, I will likely move to the Midwest. I will entertain other cities then, but I was very impressed with OKC. Dallas was also quite nice. Both regions have done very well economically, and additionally social services, especially for children, are quite good.

Please note, I do not write the above with any sort of joy. I was born and grew up in Northern and Central California. I love it. I smell it. I breath it... But in order to provide the best I can for my children, I may have to eventually leave. Unless the state as a whole becomes more business friendly, I really don't see the eventual decline changing. If I were in your shoes, that would be the biggest cause for me to pick a different state. Besides, truly... You can work less time, make more money elsewhere, and then spend more time vacationing here...
you make some very good points: when our granddaughter graduated from college in Colorado, she had a few options and chose a job in OKC. That was 5 years ago, now she is married, has a 3 year old, her husband will graduate form OU this Dec and they have learned to adjust and yes, like OKC. She is from Dallas originally and Dallas, as you say wasn't hit by the recession nearly as bad. This hold true for much of AR as well. OKC is one of the fastest growing areas in the country.

Nita

Old 07-15-2010, 01:11 AM

6 posts, read 19,085 times
Thank you so much for the response. I've begun to realize that my move to California is definitely premature, and I'm now considering other cities.
"Awaynbac.." Thanks for the idea, cause I too have heard good things about OKC but ofcourse it isnt the kind I'm looking for in the long run but for now it just might be a good option. I will certainly check out the job market and housing environment there.

Thank you everybody and do wish me luck!

Old 07-15-2010, 01:17 AM

Nita, your response is very much appreciated, I did not intend to ignore your suggestions. Infact thanks to your generous interest, I have already dropped the idea of california, as the state is barely surviving and will probably take me along with it.
I always knew that the easiest option would be to stay where I am, but that would be too close to my maternal family which what I need to get away from ( the situation is complicated,just take my word for it) But I'm considering New Jersey, which still keeps me close to home, I have few very good friends living there too who like the relatively affordable areas and convenience to a big city while still being able to work and save alongside.
Do advice.

Thanks once again Nita.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelife8 View Post
Nita, your response is very much appreciated, I did not intend to ignore your suggestions. Infact thanks to your generous interest, I have already dropped the idea of california, as the state is barely surviving and will probably take me along with it.
I always knew that the easiest option would be to stay where I am, but that would be too close to my maternal family which what I need to get away from ( the situation is complicated,just take my word for it) But I'm considering New Jersey, which still keeps me close to home, I have few very good friends living there too who like the relatively affordable areas and convenience to a big city while still being able to work and save alongside.
Do advice.

Thanks once again Nita.
The most important thing right now is your taking care of yourself and your baby. Relocating can happen later and you have years to enjoy living in other parts of the country.

By the way, do consider some other locations, yes, even OKC. There is a reason it is growning so fast. The biggest drawback in my mind, it is really ugly: sorry to those who live in OK, but other than the NE part of the state beauty is not there...

Old 07-15-2010, 08:58 AM

Thanks Nita, for all the advice. I'm working on finding a job and hopefully the D.C area doesnt fail me as it always seems to be a relatively stable market. Plus I realize making the move now would be foolish and taxing for the child and eventually me. So for now I'm going to tie myself down a bit and make the big move once I'm in a better position.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Old 06-30-2013, 01:59 AM

1 posts, read 997 times
Default California help

Hi Ive read your post and just had to respond. I lived in California, moved to Kansas, had a child, then moved back to California. The process it takes to move a child out of a state (specially as you are divorcing and fighting over custody) and establish residency in the new state is a NIGHTMARE! My advice to you on this issue is move to where you want to be BEFORE you have your child! Anyway as far as housing there is a really nice neighborhood called North Natomas in Sacramento. Look for an apartment complex called Natomas Park apts. It is affordable housing that is brand new. Very nice schools, a park on every corner, nice people.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Jani, this thread is three years old. However, your advice is sound regarding child custody issues for others who may be in the same boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: