Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:58 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,802,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
In California, elsewhere, efforts intensify to close online sales tax loophole

In California, elsewhere, efforts intensify to close online sales tax loophole - San Jose Mercury News

"It's no longer a thing of us wanting to do it for budgetary purposes," state Assemblywoman Nancy Skinner, D-Oakland, said at a recent budget hearing, referring to her proposal to step up the state's collection efforts. "It's our own businesses and largest employers asking for it, because they're being put at a competitive disadvantage."

Notice that the solution is NEVER to lower taxes in California, but instead to close "loopholes" (i.e., add new taxes).
Tax and spend baby that's all they know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 09:15 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,942,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
I've been using it for a whole lot more than items over $100. Amazon has a program called 'Amazon Prime' where you pay an annual fee ($75) and you get free two-day shipping on every product shipped from Amazon (and overnight shipping for only $2.99). At first I signed up for this just to do holiday shopping... but since then I've noticed the incredible number of household items on Amazon, usually cheaper than at my local store. It's gotten to the point that 80-90% of all non-perishable goods I end up buying through Amazon. Need a can of Comet to scrub the sink? One click, and it's at my door in two days with free shipping and cheaper than my local Safeway. Need batteries? Shampoo? Socks? A basketball? It's all on Amazon and cheap. There is even quite a bit of food there. You can buy all those PowerBars, ClifBars, etc on Amazon for a fraction of the price of your local store. Same with anything that comes in a jar, box, or can - most of it is there and cheaper. The Amazon Prime is the Best. Thing. Ever.

This is just a glimpse of the future, as I predict more and more people will start to shop this way in the next few years. These efforts to "protect local businesses from the internet" are simply backwards attempts to keep outdated business models alive.
thanks for the tip! I tried giving you rep, but apparently, I already gave you "enough" =(

Old 07-16-2010, 11:49 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,282,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Shipping charges online do add up. If i buy one cd from amazon im charged 2.98 to ship. I have found thrift stores & pawn shops that carry alot of good cds for around $3.00 plus tax. I like greatest hits & various artists cds. Classic Rock, pop & country are my favorites.

If you can find the specific CD you are looking for at a thrift store it is certainly a good deal. However, paying $2.98 for shipping is likely cheaper than the cost of driving to the store.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:30 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,387,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
If you can find the specific CD you are looking for at a thrift store it is certainly a good deal. However, paying $2.98 for shipping is likely cheaper than the cost of driving to the store.
Not to mention, for the same $3, Amazon will sell you 3 songs you actually want from that CD with no shipping required and no DRM nonsense.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:52 AM

37,097 posts, read 42,103,316 times
I never pay shipping from Amazon itself. Sometimes if there is something rare I can only get from a 3rd party...but usually I just aviod it.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:02 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,036,981 times
The claim by "main street" that the lack of sales tax gives online vendors a competitive edge is largely nonsense. While you can often avoid sales tax with online sales, you have to pay for shipping (whether or not the vendor is explicitly charging for it).

Old 07-17-2010, 07:53 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,096,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The claim by "main street" that the lack of sales tax gives online vendors a competitive edge is largely nonsense. While you can often avoid sales tax with online sales, you have to pay for shipping (whether or not the vendor is explicitly charging for it).
I don't think it is "main street" doing the complaining. It is the tax collectors. Main street rather enjoys buying from Amazon.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:58 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,036,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't think it is "main street" doing the complaining. It is the tax collectors. Main street rather enjoys buying from Amazon.
Actually, a number of organizations that represent "main street" are pushing for this change. They think it will remove some of the incentives to shop online and they give bogus arguments about taxes to convince people that its a good idea. But I think they are wrong about the incentives, people shop online for better prices, convince, to get things they can't get locally, etc. All of these things will remain true if you are paying sales tax.

I've yet to see a study that looks into whether the tax issues actually do change peoples behavior. Seems like it would a easy study to conduct by looking at folks in large states like California and Texas. Do they avoid shopping at in-state online retailers?

Old 07-17-2010, 05:14 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,387,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Actually, a number of organizations that represent "main street" are pushing for this change. They think it will remove some of the incentives to shop online and they give bogus arguments about taxes to convince people that its a good idea. But I think they are wrong about the incentives, people shop online for better prices, convince, to get things they can't get locally, etc. All of these things will remain true if you are paying sales tax.

I've yet to see a study that looks into whether the tax issues actually do change peoples behavior. Seems like it would a easy study to conduct by looking at folks in large states like California and Texas. Do they avoid shopping at in-state online retailers?
Sites like pricegrabber make it easy to compare your actual cost among vendors because they factor in shipping and tax. Sure, I'll pay $20 more to avoid $100 in tax. But you're right that online vendors almost always have better prices than retail stores so the tax is only part of the equation. Small, high value items make the most sense to buy online. Why would I pay $1500 + 8.75% tax locally for a camera lens when I can get the same thing online for $1300 with no tax and free shipping?

Old 07-19-2010, 01:01 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,282,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Sites like pricegrabber make it easy to compare your actual cost among vendors because they factor in shipping and tax. Sure, I'll pay $20 more to avoid $100 in tax. But you're right that online vendors almost always have better prices than retail stores so the tax is only part of the equation. Small, high value items make the most sense to buy online. Why would I pay $1500 + 8.75% tax locally for a camera lens when I can get the same thing online for $1300 with no tax and free shipping?

Quite a few people will pay the prices from a local retailer if they know they are going to receive a decent level of sales and support. This is exactly what has kept the better local camera dealers in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California