Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 03:55 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

I don't think the OP will ever live in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:36 PM

97 posts, read 260,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billoby View Post
Where to move? DON'T TELL ME NOT TO GO TO CA BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A CAR. I'M GOING AND THAT'S THAT. I don't have money for a car right now and I hate LOS ANGELES because it's tooo crowded so I'm looking for a decent place to live that has public transportation. So save your obnoxious comments and instead you can help me.
Long Beach. It's a very friendly public transportation city. I knew several people who didn't drive and got around there just fine.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptemberRays View Post
Long Beach. It's a very friendly public transportation city. I knew several people who didn't drive and got around there just fine.
but he doesn't want a place that is crowded. This is the catch of this whole thread..Long Beach is a nightmere as far as traffic, conjsestion and people everywhere.

Nita

Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
C'mon. There are many options.

Some can even seat two.

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-19-2010 at 09:02 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 09:19 PM

212 posts, read 640,614 times

Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billoby View Post
Where to move? DON'T TELL ME NOT TO GO TO CA BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A CAR. I'M GOING AND THAT'S THAT. I don't have money for a car right now and I hate LOS ANGELES because it's tooo crowded so I'm looking for a decent place to live that has public transportation. So save your obnoxious comments and instead you can help me.
Based on what are saying I think you would like some of the smaller to mid sized California towns. I disagree with those who say you need an urban setting. There are people I work with who ride their bikes to work for example in the Monterey area. Sure you will have to hoof it over some hills on occasion. But that stuff is good for you anyway. And smaller to mid-sized towns are generally less dangerous when it comes to riding a bike or scooter to work/around town.

Since you give us very little else to go on it's hard to make other recommendations. If you are young and still figuring things out in terms of a profession, you may want to consider an area near a college/university. There are many small to mid sized towns in California like this - some near the coast, some further inland. Monterey, for example, has a university (CSUMB) as well as a community college (MPC). There are a lot of bike paths and traffic isn't and crowds are light in comparison to other larger cities.

Derek

Old 07-19-2010, 11:34 PM

7 posts, read 14,121 times
Bay Area-definitely! Bart goes everywhere!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:54 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Based on what are saying I think you would like some of the smaller to mid sized California towns. I disagree with those who say you need an urban setting. There are people I work with who ride their bikes to work for example in the Monterey area. Sure you will have to hoof it over some hills on occasion. But that stuff is good for you anyway. And smaller to mid-sized towns are generally less dangerous when it comes to riding a bike or scooter to work/around town.

Since you give us very little else to go on it's hard to make other recommendations. If you are young and still figuring things out in terms of a profession, you may want to consider an area near a college/university. There are many small to mid sized towns in California like this - some near the coast, some further inland. Monterey, for example, has a university (CSUMB) as well as a community college (MPC). There are a lot of bike paths and traffic isn't and crowds are light in comparison to other larger cities.

Derek
I think the OP is off-putting, but you make some good points. You can probably get around ok without a car in towns like Davis, Santa Cruz, and San Luis Obispo. Of course, as other posters have noted, none of those towns are very good places to live if you're on the low end of the wage scale.

San Francisco is, of course, probably the best large city to live for those who don't want a car. But parts of Oakland and Berkeley are decent, too.
Of course, all of these areas are crowded.

The OP must be young. He/she doesn't realize life is full of trade-offs. We all want that mythical place with ideal weather, low taxes, great public services, low cost of living, and great mass transit despite low density suburban development. Alas! Such a place does not exist.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:27 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
You could live easily in a place like Chico, cheaply and without a car. Lot's of great things going for it to but NOT public transportation since there is no place to transport you to. It's not what people think when they dream of moving to CA though. It mostly what people who have already lived around LA or SF or "the beach" think about when wanting to escape all that without leaving the state.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 PM

18 posts, read 32,913 times
I don't drive because of a minor condition that causes some dizziness, and also just because i am not that good a driver and consider the highways unsafe. Research of deaths and serious injuries have done that to me. I have also lived in smaller CA cities. They usually have some form of public transportation, but generally after 6pm and on week ends you have to find another way to go. Some places have what they call 'dial a ride' along side the bus. Its a door to door service that allows you to carry home more things so you can get your major shopping done for the month at one time. But you have to check, as often dial a ride is just for the elderly and disabled, but not always. So there is transportation in smaller places, but if you want 24/7 buses, you have to go to the bigger cities. It hasn't been easy for me. avita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California