Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:59 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times

Advertisements

The city council of Sebastopol will consider a smoking ban in apartments that includes not only tobacco but also marijuana. This would be the strictest anti-smoking regulation in California. Is it going too far?

"Sebastopol to consider smoking ban in apartments

The city of Sebastopol will consider revisions to its smoking ordinance Tuesday that would make it one of the toughest in the Bay Area, extending a smoke-free umbrella to apartment dwellers.

“We already don't permit smoking in public parks and playgrounds and what-have-you,” said City Manager Jack Griffin. “This ordinance is not all that much different, but it adds a whole new dimension of multi-family dwellings.”
The revised ordinance would include marijuana in its ban, regardless of whether it is medically prescribed or if recreational marijuana use is approved by California voters in November".
Sebastopol to consider smoking ban in apartments | PressDemocrat.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 10:16 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
I used to live above a couple of two-fisted smokers and it was disgusting. My apartment regularly smelled like stale smoke and they actually set off MY smoke alarm one night. There should have been a smokers building where they could all smoke themselves to death away from the rest of us.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:31 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
The smoking Nazis ... as well as, Green Nazis, food Nazis, other types of Nazis.

Freedom is under threat.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The smoking Nazis ... as well as, Green Nazis, food Nazis, other types of Nazis.

Freedom is under threat.
Why should my home smell like an ashtray for someone else's freedom? If they want freedom, they should buy a house. Part of living in attached housing is having a little consideration for your neighbors.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:40 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Why should my home smell like an ashtray for someone else's freedom? If they want freedom, they should buy a house. Part of living in attached housing is having a little consideration for your neighbors.
The apartment smoking ban in Sebastopol and several other affluent CA suburbs is a PC way of keeping out nonwhites and illegals under the guise of "health" so no one will be smeared as "racist".

Ethnic cleansing, affluent white CA style.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The apartment smoking ban in Sebastopol and several other affluent CA suburbs is a PC way of keeping out nonwhites and illegals under the guise of "health" so no one will be smeared as "racist".

Ethnic cleansing, Marin style.
ROFL. White people don't smoke?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
ROFL. White people don't smoke?
It's not meant to be applied against whites. (Remember, technically SB 1070 could be used against non-Hispanic whites, too, but I highly doubt it will.)

And while plenty of whites smoke, most of those are not the kind of whites who are clamoring for these laws, who support those laws, and who are implementing those laws. It's about class control, too. Ironic because much of Sonoma County is still very traditional California but the busy-bodies and do-gooders are making their way north.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:01 PM

I tend to agree with the Sebastopol ordinance, if it passes and isn't challenged in court. Second-hand smoke is horrible and unhealthy. If someone wants to smoke in their apartment they should be forced to purchase an air filtration system or smoke outside. But even smoking outside is subject to regulation since many California cities prohibit smoking in parks\ beaches. I hate to be walking behind someone who is smoking.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I tend to agree with the Sebastopol ordinance, if it passes and isn't challenged in court. Second-hand smoke is horrible and unhealthy. If someone wants to smoke in their apartment they should be forced to purchase an air filtration system or smoke outside. But even smoking outside is subject to regulation since many California cities prohibit smoking in parks\ beaches. I hate to be walking behind someone who is smoking.
What if the Sebastopol ordinance is deliberately used in a racially/ethnically discriminatory manner?

Remember, SB 1070 on paper is not ethnically or racially discriminatory.....(although I don't support that either)

Old 07-21-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What if the Sebastopol ordinance is deliberately used in a racially/ethnically discriminatory manner?

Remember, SB 1070 on paper is not ethnically or racially discriminatory.....(although I don't support that either)
I'm not sure I understand. Are ethnic and racial minorities heavier smokers than Anglos? I am asking because I have never heard that certain minorities are more likely to smoke than other groups. Plus, my sense is that marijuana smokers are just as likely to be white as black and brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California