Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
My dad (b L.A., 1925) apparently was a huge Brooklyn fan, but was happier than a pig in **** when they came west to his hometown.
LOL! I was 12 and living in VA at the time. I considered it a betrayal! Haven't followed baseball since. But I damn sure wish my parents hadn't gotten rid of my baseball card collection going back to about 1954 with all the National League and American League, teams as well as the rookie cards. They, along with other things, disappeared the two years I was overseas. Maybe they thought my chances of survival were questionable or the 11 years younger brother I wasn't really raised with and don't claim or acknowledge sold them. He'd do it today if he had the chance! Greedy, avaricious SOB!

Guess that's why I'm a big fan of the Green Bay Packers. They'll stay put!

Old 08-06-2010, 04:47 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times
There are illegal immigrants running wild and your complaining about New Yorkers? Anything to complain about i guess.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
There are illegal immigrants running wild and your complaining about New Yorkers? Anything to complain about i guess.
The illegals aren't RUNNING things. The East Coasters ARE.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The illegals aren't RUNNING things. The East Coasters ARE.
Right! Gotta be Maria Shriver an' all them sneaky, blue-nposed New Englanders who snuck in and won seats on the Legislature!

Old 08-07-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Right! Gotta be Maria Shriver an' all them sneaky, blue-nposed New Englanders who snuck in and won seats on the Legislature!
So where are Barbara Boxer and Meg Whitman originally from, and a large part of the people who run the tech and entertainment industries?

Old 08-07-2010, 01:36 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So where are Barbara Boxer and Meg Whitman originally from, and a large part of the people who run the tech and entertainment industries?
Interesting question... so I did some research on the major political players (and would-be players) in California.

Barbara Boxer is from Brooklyn and moved to California in the sixties. Her opponent in this year's election, Carly Fiorina, was born in Texas and went to school in North Carolina, attending Stanford (and UCLA, briefly) in the seventies before eventually moving to California in 1999.

The other California Senator, Diane Feinstein, was born in San Francisco.

Nancy Pelosi, obviously California's most prominent House member, is from Baltimore and moved to California in 1969.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is, of course, from Austria. The candidates to be his successor are Meg Whitman, from Long Island, who moved to California in the eighties, and Jerry Brown, who was born in San Francisco.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Interesting question... so I did some research on the major political players (and would-be players) in California.

Barbara Boxer is from Brooklyn and moved to California in the sixties. Her opponent in this year's election, Carly Fiorina, was born in Texas and went to school in North Carolina, attending Stanford (and UCLA, briefly) in the seventies before eventually moving to California in 1999.

The other California Senator, Diane Feinstein, was born in San Francisco.

Nancy Pelosi, obviously California's most prominent House member, is from Baltimore and moved to California in 1969.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is, of course, from Austria. The candidates to be his successor are Meg Whitman, from Long Island, who moved to California in the eighties, and Jerry Brown, who was born in San Francisco.
And it shows!

Old 08-07-2010, 11:04 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Let us not forget, Ronnie was from Dixon,IL two term president.

Nixon, from Orange county, resigned in disgrace.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:26 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
The stats for L.A. County vs. New York on that map of 2008 moves show the following:

2,103 people moved from L.A. to New York.

2,483 people moved from New York to L.A.

Wow, that's a whopping 380 people more who moved to L.A.!!! The invasion is going to crush us!

I didn't bother to look at the other counties, but honestly it seemed like more people are moving out of L.A. County than are moving in. And in any event, considering that California as a whole has a population bigger than all of Canada, are we really going to worry about how many people move here from the northeast? After the winter they had last year, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2010 numbers go up for people moving into California, especially Southern California.

My best friends are transplants. One is from Maine, and the other moved from Boston (but she grew up in the midwest). I couldn't care less what part of the country they're from; they're nice and fun to be around.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
The stats for L.A. County vs. New York on that map of 2008 moves show the following:

2,103 people moved from L.A. to New York.

2,483 people moved from New York to L.A.
As if L.A. is the entire state.

What are the figures re: the Bay Area?

Also, that fails to take into account how many Northeasterners moved to California in the earlier years of the decade, both before and during the RE bubble. Not to mention those who moved in the '90s (esp. to SF).

As for Northeasterners moving to the far north, or the Central Valley, or the IE, the number's probably negligible, but I don't know for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California