Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 AM

255 posts, read 882,056 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with those areas and if they have a good transit system?
what about Santa rosa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 01:38 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Not really sure what Indio has in common with those other areas.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:06 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times
Good public transit requires mass use; that's why it's called mass transit. None of these areas is big enough to support a quality transit system. I would say a population base of 300,000 is probably a minimum threshold for a reasonable public transit system. Smaller cities in other states might be able to sustain a public transit system, but in California, The Car is the official state deity.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 PM

255 posts, read 882,056 times
I'm from providence and would like tomove eventually..just investigating different areas...our transit system here could use some help but all in all, there is a bus that will take you anywhere you want to go. Boston is an hour away, and they have subway and trains too.
I heard santa rosa was pretty cool..
Is anyone from that area?

Old 07-30-2010, 02:11 AM

20 posts, read 52,809 times
Redding, Red Bluff and Chico and Indio all have bus systems that will take you pretty much anywhere around town you want to go.

I am currently in Red Bluff and while I do not use the public bus system I see them all over.

I'm not real impressed with the people here in Red Bluff, its pretty much a luck of the draw with the sales clerks etc.

The post office clerks in Red Bluff are the absolute rudest people I've ever encountered. They've got to be the most hateful people, apparently don't like their jobs or don't like the public, I'm not sure which as well as in Niland. Rude, act like they are doing you a favor by being there instead of earning their living off of customers.

So far the people I've encountered in Redding aren't too bad, a lot friendlier than in Red Bluff for sure.

The big thing I've noticed all over CA, from S to N is the amount of pan handlers and beggers.
Come right up to your car window when you pull into a parking lot. I hate that.
Many hold up signs saying "stranded" or "hungry", one guy even had a sign that said "will work for pot". The cops told him he couldn't hold his sign up though, (I read it in the paper later after seeing him earlier in the day)

Like I said, I'm not impressed with Red Bluff at all (we are traveling in an RV), Redding has a lot of businesses but it also seems to be right on top of each other.
Redding is just starting to have a gang problem, shootings on the main streets in town, the cops seem to be right on them though.
Redding cops seem to harass people a lot. I've not noticed it here in Red Bluff.

Redding has a lot of MMJ dispensaries, Chico doesn't have any since they raided them all in the past two weeks and Red Bluff has none (not allowed). Chico is a college town, seem to have a lot going on as far as entertainment.

San Diego was nice, the beach was awesome, but a lot of hippies, bums, street people etc. Lots of traffic, no smoking on the beach.

I'd stay away from Red Bluff as there is virtually no decent paying jobs, some minimum wage jobs. I'm ready to get the hell out of Red Bluff and head back down the coast to S. CA but right now it is so hot 118 in Palm Springs last week.
Temps here averaged 106-110 this past week.

Going to check out the N. CA coast first before heading back down to S. CA.

I-5 is apparently a drug pipeline, lots of cops looking for meth and sometimes actually finding it.

There is a large amount of young "hippies" coming and going from WA, OR and CA just thumbing their way around. Some decent, just trying to fit in.

Hope this gives you some ideas...

Old 07-30-2010, 11:39 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Eureka has a minimal transit system serving the main shopping and medical facilities.It stops running at 7pm and there is no service on Sunday.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:37 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Santa Rosa is a cute little city, and the biggest of the areas you mentioned. Serious wine culture, near lots of beautiful scenery. Also a suburban bus system though. I wouldn't bother in CA without a car unless you are in the city of San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California