Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
What? Did you honestly believe that the Arizona law would hold up? I know you are a former California state employee who worked with the legislature\ governors. You must have insight. All the large cities [plus many smaller ones] in California condemned\ boycotted Arizona. The state legislature condemned Arizona. Governor Schwarzenegger condemned Arizona. The Republican candidate for governor, Whitman, condemned Arizona. The governors of Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico and Texas condemned Arizona. Now whose country do you live in?
I was going to try to refrain from bothering to answer any of your threads, but this one I can't ignore: When are you going to accept, a city boycotting and the residence of that city boycotting are totally different things. Just because the city cousel takes action doesn't mean the people support it. I think we are seeing that with some of what has happened in DC in the past 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 01:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Offered to divert her? To what, a degree in something like geology or linguistics, where her insistence on discriminating against homosexuals wouldn't run afoul of the curriculum?

If Julea Ward wanted a degree is some other program, she could have applied for admission to such a program. If there is evidence that she applied to some such program, and was denied "because of her religious beliefs", then bring it on. If such is the case, it is not only wrong but should be illegal. But there is no evidence that such is the case. Julea Ward did not sue to be allowed to study something, anything, at Eastern Michigan University - rather, she filed suit contending that the university should have allowed her to reject counseling cases involving homosexual issues in order to get her Masters Degree in Counseling.

She refused, and was expelled from the program. Rightly so.
I am not totally familiar with the case so am judging my comments on just what I am reading here: I know what you are saying, but I disagree. I think there could have been others she could have counseled to fulfill her requirements and believe me, I am not anti gay. I do believe she had a right to refuse. During the world wars, there were many conscientious objectors for religious reasons. They were allowed to not fight but to serve the country in other ways. Why couldn't the masters program heads do something similar for her?

Nita

Old 07-28-2010, 01:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Offered to divert her? To what, a degree in something like geology or linguistics, where her insistence on discriminating against homosexuals wouldn't run afoul of the curriculum?

If Julea Ward wanted a degree is some other program, she could have applied for admission to such a program. If there is evidence that she applied to some such program, and was denied "because of her religious beliefs", then bring it on. If such is the case, it is not only wrong but should be illegal. But there is no evidence that such is the case. Julea Ward did not sue to be allowed to study something, anything, at Eastern Michigan University - rather, she filed suit contending that the university should have allowed her to reject counseling cases involving homosexual issues in order to get her Masters Degree in Counseling.

She refused, and was expelled from the program. Rightly so.
Back in a former life I periodically recused myself from issues and cases where I felt there was a conflict of interest between my beliefs and the matters at hand. That included some counseling assignments. It never harmed my professional standing.

Perhaps Ms. Ward would do the same. We'll never know!

Old 07-28-2010, 01:25 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, we have a new moderator, his name is Calsur and he is telling posters to stay on topic. Actually he is on topic, he is referring to federal court decisions.
Nita
Are you crying?

Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Talk about a "yahoo state." You just described what's south of the border perfectly.

As for the marijuana issue, I think there may be a slight difference. The bulk of the country seems to approve of Arizona's attempt. I'm not convinced most of the country approves legalization of MJ. But I suppose I could be wrong. If it did pass and became country-wide the drug cartels woiuld just have to amp-up their production of heroin, crack and cocaine.

What a world we live in!
You know as well as me that law is never decided by polls. The issue of California taxing a substance that the federal government deems illegal is the issue as I understand it. The courts have strongly supported the federal authority on inter-state commerce issues. In the case of Arizona, the court rightly decided that Arizona can not take on federal authority and use local police to enforce a law that is contrary to federal law. That's why it was struck down.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
It wasn't struck down. Some aspects of it were put on hold. It was modeled after federal statute. If local law enforcement cannot take on federal authority then local cops should no longer respond to bank robberies, child abductions where a state line may have been crossed or stop inter-state haulers, turn over AWOL servicemen based upon federal warrants or take any interest in the FBIs most wanted lists.

Right!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:20 PM

212 posts, read 475,916 times
This issue needs to go up to the 9th court, where it will likely be struck down, and then appealed to the Supreme Court.

After all, it is a State's Rights issue.

Again I assert, this is a simple question:
If the Federal Government will not perform it's duties, should/can the State Government perform those same duties?

I am unfamiliar of a similar issue being brought before the court, but I strongly believe that if the Federal Government can not prove it is adequately protecting the quality of life in boarder states, through border enforcement, Arizona likely will win (at least with the present make up of the Supreme Court).

Old 07-28-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
This issue needs to go up to the 9th court, where it will likely be struck down, and then appealed to the Supreme Court.

After all, it is a State's Rights issue.

Again I assert, this is a simple question:
If the Federal Government will not perform it's duties, should/can the State Government perform those same duties?

I am unfamiliar of a similar issue being brought before the court, but I strongly believe that if the Federal Government can not prove it is adequately protecting the quality of life in boarder states, through border enforcement, Arizona likely will win (at least with the present make up of the Supreme Court).
Don't count on it. According to various discussions on TV, the Supreme court, including the chief justice, mostly rule in favor of federal authority. We know the 9th circuit is very liberal for the most part but this issue is not really a conservative vs liberal battle since both Republicans and Democrats have varying opinions on immigration. I wouldn't hold my breath that the Arizona law will be upheld.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:38 PM

136 posts, read 423,959 times
Just a portion was stopped by the Obama Feds,I will be so glad when he is done ruining this country.The main reason for Obama wanting this stopped is maybe the next illeagal President may come in from that border,just hope the next one can produce a birth certificate!

Old 07-28-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving123 View Post
Just a portion was stopped by the Obama Feds,I will be so glad when he is done ruining this country.The main reason for Obama wanting this stopped is maybe the next illeagal President may come in from that border,just hope the next one can produce a birth certificate!
Did you forget that the previous president had the same policy toward immigration? duh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California