Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
The ACLU defends the rights guaranteed by the Constitution, I thought rightwingers liked those rights, oh well, I have been wrong before.
Sure they do, when it serves a liberal view on things. There was a time, like with unions, ACLU served well and were a blessing, but they have overstepped their bounds.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Didn't you know, bible-belt wingnuts want prayer in the classroom, creationism in the textbooks, the 10 commandments in courthouses, the government in the bedroom [except their own, of-course], homos in prison, priests in children's panties, prohibition re-instated, social security repealed, guns in churches and, of-course, the death of the godless ACLU. You know, the typical Republican.
God, I just can't beleive you: Right wingers generally do not believe any of what you are saying. In fact to make a statement like homos in prison or priests in children's panties is sick. I can't think of another thing to say. It is discusting and deplorable.

And they do not want probhition re-instated, SS repealed, or the goveenment in anyones bedroom.

I can't believe anyone is so to the left or narrow minded as a person that sees Republicans that way. How little you know about Republicans and how hateful your comments are becoming. I think each week they get more hateful.

Nita

Old 07-28-2010, 07:52 PM

206 posts, read 416,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
God, I just can't beleive you: Right wingers generally do not believe any of what you are saying. In fact to make a statement like homos in prison or priests in children's panties is sick. I can't think of another thing to say. It is discusting and deplorable.

And they do not want probhition re-instated, SS repealed, or the goveenment in anyones bedroom.

I can't believe anyone is so to the left or narrow minded as a person that sees Republicans that way. How little you know about Republicans and how hateful your comments are becoming. I think each week they get more hateful.

Nita
Actually they do-well for some of it.

The Texas republican party party calls for the recriminalization of sodomy. Mind you-this is not gay marraige or civil unions or adoption by gays. But going into someone's bedroom and arresting two consenting adults.

Now if this was some fringe candidate-fine-both sides have their wingnuts. But TX is the biggest red state and the state party platform calls for going into people's bedrooms and throwing them in jail for gays. They already did that and the case wen't to the supreme court and they ruled against TX. The TX republican party now calls for congress to grant an exemption for this alone-so the courts will not have jurisdiction over them over this. Iran anyone?? Just repeating what is in the party's platform, does not make one hateful.

Prohibition and ending social security are positions epoused by Sharron Angle- republican candidate for senate of NV. Now unlike the party platform-she is just one person-but she does have the support of the republicans who now fully endorse her.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Prohibition? Gee, it worked so well the first time...

Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita
I think you are still mad that I made fun of you crying! But I stand by all that I wrote since these are examples of Republican positions [not all Republicans however]. I can't stand the GOP because it no longer is the same party of Ronald Reagan and has been taken over by people who live in places like where you live. Republicans have let the country down and should be ashamed of what they have become.

I think some of the more conservative posters on CD are a little testy today because of the court decision.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The law can't be implemented; the decision could very well be appealed if Arizona wants to waste its limited money. But the important part is that the controversial police involvement in immigration control has been stopped before it could go into effect.
To say that the injunction of four provisions of SB1070 vindicated California is like saying the arrest and conviction of Rosa Parks vindicated Jim Crow laws. It may have seemed that way during the first week of Dec. 1955, but what came next -- the Montgomery Bus Boycott -- changed history. Directly, or indirectly, SB1070 will likely change history as well. Americans are poised to effect Constitutional changes if the feds falter on this.

As for implementation, the law doesn't really need to be implemented because it does not propose any new policy. What you have to understand is that Arizona doesn't have to win the judicial battle on SB1070 in order to prevail in the overall ideological war on border security.

Arizona's Plan A, which it pursued for years, was to ask the federal government to exercise more effective border control between Arizona and Sonora. The feds made some vague overtures in that direction, but Arizona got no real satisfaction. Plan B was to ask the feds for compensation for state monies expended as a consequence of poor border security. It got no traction there, either. Drastic times call for drastic measures. Under Plan C, Arizona now takes the matter into its own hands. Whether Plan C is ultimately affirmed in the judicial system, or whether it forces the feds to reexamine their response to Plan A with new enthusiasm, Arizona will end up getting what it wanted in the first place. Either in-state enforcement will be sustained, or federal enforcement there will be significantly ramped up. In either case, the border between Arizona and Sonora will be much less porous in the future than it would have been had SB1070 never been passed.

SB1070 may well be an example of a "martyr bill:" a piece of legislation that must itself die in advancing the cause it espouses, but the annals of legislative history will show that SB1070 was the launchpad that brought about tighter border security and a much decreased incidence of illegal entry into Arizona from Mexico. That may end up being the result of federal action, but without SB1070, no such action ever would have been instigated.

Last edited by Brenda-by-the-sea; 07-28-2010 at 09:08 PM..

Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
The illegals (anchor babies + parents) will continue to get FREE food stamps, welfare, health/dental care & education. WELCOME TO AMERICA!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:31 PM

122 posts, read 365,537 times
eagle7, I have witnessed these guys and gals getting free stuff when I lived in Bakersfield. The sad thing is this: those services are for AMERICANS who need them. Americans have a hard time getting those services when they really need them! In Bakersfield, everyone who was hispanic got Food stamps those are on credit cards now that say California advantage. Yep, they got the advantage all right! And the health and dental I could not afford even though was working, yep again, they had the advantage. Their kids cavities are filled and at the first sneeze they were filling up the entire ER waiting room when my son needed stitches.

WELCOME TO AMERICA! Have a baby and he's american so get freeee stuff, he that sums it up right.
Sorry so biiter, ps moved out of California and am so happy. No, I don't hate Mexicans, just the free loading ones who feel entitled and not embarrassed when they used their "cards". Their medi cal card, food stamp card, welfare card: shame!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
Tonight on Larry Kings show\ CNN he discussed the Arizona law with 2 noteworthy Republicans and 2 Democrats. All 4 agreed accordingly:

1] Securing the border must be a federal priority; it has to be closed and America certainly has the wherewithal to accomplish this instead of spending millions each day fighting stupid wars in the Middle East [where they hate us anyway].

2] Illegal immigrates must pay a fine for living in the U.S. but also must be given citizenship

3] A "guest worker" program for Mexican citizens to work in the U.S. needs to be allowed because agriculture especially in California can not survive without Mexican laborers.

I think these are reasonable goals and easily accomplished.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
I have a VERY bad tooth & its gonna cost a bundle to remove plus im out of work. I was born & raised here in the usa & served my country yet i cant get free dental care but the illegals can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California