U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 6,725 times

Advertisements

A make-or-break detail for us when searching for a good place to settle is whether the local public water supplier adds fluoride. I know there are two very different opinions about the value of that -- it's not my intention to get into which one is "better" or "right"... I'm just after the local facts, so I can make an informed decision.

I'm curious about whether the public water suppliers do or do not add fluoride. I'd also like to know whether the natural ground water (private wells) "typically" has any fluoride, and if so, how much (ppm)? Are there any other notable chemicals in the county's ground water -- excess arsenic, etc?

thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 07:08 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,725,160 times
Redding city residents fought fluoride here and our efforts were successful. It is not added to the water. The health risks far outweighed the benefits... this is typically a conservative community,,, I was surprised it was defeated

There are several community water companies in the county here,, depending on where you live... or you could be on well.

East of Redding proper-Bella Vista Water Company
South of Redding- Anderson Cottonwood Irrigation District
West of Redding-Centerville Water District

Much of the water supply up here is well

Bella Vista ( my water company) has ground well and pumping stations from the Sacramento(depends on the time of year as to what percentages they draw from). As you know all public water companies are required to publish their water quality standards. I think Bella Vista misses some standards fairly regularly,as do most all suppliers)... but they are the highest quality water up here

We still use secondary filtration (carbon activated, ceramic membrane) to improve our water quality

Water is worth 20-50k a parcel up here.

As you also know most of the groundwater is now contaminated in California from petroleum by products or fertilizers .... so finding quality water is paramount to healthy living. There is bottled water as well.. Mt Shasta comes in very high in bottled water quality

Please do a search on the water companies I listed to find out the water specs...

Hope this helps

cam

Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,620 times
Post Redding area water

Actually, Bella Vista is a water district, rather than a private water company. It is formed as a public agency under the state codes. In the rural areas a number of these special districts were formed in the early part of the last century to address water rights issues.

There isn't much out there on Bella Vista Water District, so it must be a smaller operation. I have heard it can be kind of hard to reach them when you have questions or problems, but this is common for rural agencies: most of their staff are out working on their systems during the day.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 864 times
Default Redding water quality

I moved to redding 6 months ago. I immediately noticed a chemical smell from the tap water. I had only been here one day and filled the bath tub with water, the water was blue. Water should be clear not blue. When I shower the water makes my eyes burn and my eye lids turn red from inflammation.
I assume that the chemical smell is fluoride and chlorine.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 PM

90,435 posts, read 86,479,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluoride View Post
I moved to redding 6 months ago. I immediately noticed a chemical smell from the tap water. I had only been here one day and filled the bath tub with water, the water was blue. Water should be clear not blue. When I shower the water makes my eyes burn and my eye lids turn red from inflammation.
I assume that the chemical smell is fluoride and chlorine.
Do you have multiple chemical sensitivity?

Most, if not all, tap water in urban areas in the US has chlorine. That doesn't turn the bath water blue, though, usually. Get your water tested.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:47 PM

18,817 posts, read 27,962,206 times
I lived in downtown Redding from Nov 2013 to Nov 2014, having moved there from Santa Clara, CA. I couldn't believe how fantastic the water was in Redding, comparatively. It tastes fantastic. Better than bought bottled water.

Don't know about flouride. But, I can tell you that I pay for water by the gallon now, and can't afford to use it for everything, such as using it to cook rice, etc. It's really nice to have great "bottled" water flavor come right out of your tap.

I miss my Redding water. Ours here is safe, but it's hard well water that they add minerals to, to soften it, so it will lather. Nowhere near the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California