Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:54 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,356,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Actually there are job openings - lots of them! The problem is that there are so many people applying... With unemployment this high it may seem like there are no jobs, but people are getting hired and fired every day.

Besides, the original poster is getting a degree in a specialized field, and who knows? Maybe there are more openings in his field in California, than in his home state?

I agree with MtnSurfer, and would suggest forgetting about trying to find the area with the cheapest living expenses, and instead try and find the job that will give you the best experience - and go there, wherever it may be. Honestly, you can find an inexpensive studio in the most expensive city, if you know where to look - and I'm not talking a slum - just not upscale.

But if you really want to know which area has the best quality of life? That's truly just a matter of personal taste. I grew up in San Diego and spend a lot of time in Los Angeles, and love the sun - so San Francisco with it's overcast days would not be a good choice for me. But someone else might Southern California just as wrong a fit, as I would find San Francisco. There is no one "right" answer for everyone when it comes to the California city with the best quality of life - it's a huge state with a lot of variety - and something for almost everyone!
well that is true, I shouldn't say there are none available or they are all phoney, I guess I should have added, those that are available are going to unemployed tech people right in California.

The important thing is for everyone, especially those just graduating to realize, there are thousands including many with degrees unemployed.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:03 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,586,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well that is true, I shouldn't say there are none available or they are all phoney, I guess I should have added, those that are available are going to unemployed tech people right in California.

The important thing is for everyone, especially those just graduating to realize, there are thousands including many with degrees unemployed.

NIta
Wish that was true that companies hire qualified locals, but in my case what I see here is not so, plenty of people jobless with degrees but yet see plenty of out-of-state plates in the parking lot at a recent start-up hiring software engineers and etc...a few from CA, TX, the Northeast and etc. "Local candidates only" is not listed as much as I use to see it.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:54 AM

8,195 posts, read 16,617,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Wish that was true that companies hire qualified locals, but in my case what I see here is not so, plenty of people jobless with degrees but yet see plenty of out-of-state plates in the parking lot at a recent start-up hiring software engineers and etc...a few from CA, TX, the Northeast and etc. "Local candidates only" is not listed as much as I use to see it.
Where are you seeing this? I know for us we look locally first - Bay area, then SoCal. But we have hired out of staters when the local pool is not qualified for the certain technical position(s).

Derek

Old 08-02-2010, 01:19 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,917,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Where are you seeing this? I know for us we look locally first - Bay area, then SoCal. But we have hired out of staters when the local pool is not qualified for the certain technical position(s).

Derek
Any particular reason? I'm looking at moving back to California in the next year or two (grew up there, but moved to the east coast for school and have now worked here a few years). I have the family ties to the area, know the state well, know the price tag, where I want to live, etc. Is there anything I could put in a cover letter that would alleviate a potential employer's hesitation to look at a DC area applicant?

My company would possibly transfer me, but then my husband is in the same boat of needing to find a job with only DC addresses on his resume.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Any particular reason? I'm looking at moving back to California in the next year or two (grew up there, but moved to the east coast for school and have now worked here a few years). I have the family ties to the area, know the state well, know the price tag, where I want to live, etc. Is there anything I could put in a cover letter that would alleviate a potential employer's hesitation to look at a DC area applicant?

My company would possibly transfer me, but then my husband is in the same boat of needing to find a job with only DC addresses on his resume.
Well, yes. It's mainly financial. If companies hire out of staters it means relocation expenses might be incurred. Now that's not always the case, but it can be a factor. Secondly there is a sense that people already familiar with the area will be more stable in the long run vs. fleeing to other locations after a short period for various reasons (family, relationships, geographic, weather, economic preferences, etc...). And there is a desire to support the local workforce as well. So overall, if there are local qualified applicants for any given position, there is no need to expand the net any further.

In your families case it really depends on what your qualifications are and what positions become available - supply and demand. If competition is tight and you are not getting any offers I would suggest 'not' requiring relocation assistance. And emphasize that you are natives who are looking at coming home to be near family/friends too. Of course companies can't discriminate for any reason. But this does suggest to a potential employer a stronger possiblity of a candidate staying and thus longer term stability.

I know some will say to use a friend's address or a PO Box. But I can tell you that those things become fairly obvious early on during the screening phase. So I would try to be honest and as straight forward as possible about your intent. Deception/lying can and does backfire on candidates big time. I've seen it first hand. So be carefull what you put on your resume. Make sure it can be verified (education, experiences, etc...).

Another thing ppl will do is move out without a job. And that is another way to be included in the 'local pool.' The catch with that is being unemployed puts you in another category, though not always. So that is a gamble/tradeoff. The best would be to do some telecommute/consulting work intially to at least be employed even if self-employed. But I think if one spouse moves out for work while the other is still looking for a job that is more understandable. I have heard of 'some' companies only wanting to hire employed ppl. I would say ours doesn't goes that far. Although of course this does look like a more employable/desirable candidate when employed. But layoffs happen and that is understood as well.

I know some of this may say this does not always seem right/fair or whatever. I am just telling you how the game is played at least from what I have seen. when 100s of resumes come in from all over the country for a position certain rules are applied as initial filters.

Lastly let me just say that I moved out of state with my family from CA to CO for several years. Then I was given two competing offers upon return. So I'm not saying out of staters won't find jobs. Because I know that I did along with others as well. It mainly depends on one's own unique set of qualifications and how many others are competing for the same position(s). Skill building/Experience is the most critical component to all of this.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-02-2010 at 03:24 PM..

Old 08-02-2010, 06:30 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,917,536 times
Thanks for the help--I really appreciate it. It's still a year or so out, so who knows what the market will look like at that point. I'm not expecting relocation assistance at all, so that's no big deal with me. I wasn't even aware relocation stipends were provided to anyone but execs at this point! My skills aren't worth importing from across the country at any kind of premium, I'm sure. Although we both have TS clearances (perk of being in this area!) so I'm hoping that will give us an edge.

*sigh* We'll cross that bridge when it comes to it!

Again, thanks Rep'd ya.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,586,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

Derek
South Florida, but I'm not seeing job ads stating "Local Candidates Only" anymore either. Reason why is a lot of skilled people left and more are on the way when NASA pulls the plug on the Shuttle program.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:40 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,844,746 times
Seriously you really need to go visit the cities and neighborhoods and see what's interesitng to you. Find some job openings in various places, map out a trip to go to each city that might have a job opportunity, apply and have a look at the various neighborhoods and what will be in your price range and to your liking.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Thanks for the help--I really appreciate it. It's still a year or so out, so who knows what the market will look like at that point. I'm not expecting relocation assistance at all, so that's no big deal with me. I wasn't even aware relocation stipends were provided to anyone but execs at this point! My skills aren't worth importing from across the country at any kind of premium, I'm sure. Although we both have TS clearances (perk of being in this area!) so I'm hoping that will give us an edge.

*sigh* We'll cross that bridge when it comes to it!

Again, thanks Rep'd ya.
Yes, TS clearances can really help depending on the position you both may be applying for. DoD work is still pretty strong in CA. The key is to get in with a solid program/contract. The LA area especially has a lot of opportunities in that regard. But SD and the Bay have some as well. Most positions are very technical in nature with a de-emphasis in manufacturing (i.e. missles, planes, helicopters) unless unmanned.

Derek

Old 08-02-2010, 07:18 PM

215 posts, read 1,531,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo_9 View Post
I live in Kentucky and will be graduating within the next semester or two with a degree in geographic information systems and planning. I attend the University of Kentucky, a tier 1 research institution. Looking online, I have found the most job opportunities are to be found on the west coast, especially California.

Question: Which major California metro has the best quality of life? The cheapest? Is traffic really as bad as it's made out to be and if so should I stick to public trans? What kind of recreational opportunities are to be had in each? Do any have large German communities? I'm 20 (graduating early, young, I know) with a girlfriend who would be coming along for the ride.

Thanks a ton!
Move to Dallas and make some money kid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California