Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
There should be a ban on stupid churches instead of peoples rights.
Many stupid churches support severe injustices on human rights such as Slavery, segregation, the KKK, etc

who cares if some stupid churches gets their feelings hurt, they have been hurting peoples rights for centuries
I find it very hard to sympathize with the church in general. As a whole, they've been oppressing people and destroying cultures for quite some time...and they have the gall to freak out about gay marriage?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:31 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Apprehensions of what? that people are starting to resist being scared into nonsense?
LOL...first you pretend to not know what Im talking about and then you toss out an insult totally answering your own question.

This is getting bizarre.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:31 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Plenty of folks who aren't religious, nor Christian, oppose gay marriage too.

That seems to get lost in the discussion.

Also, it is possible to oppose gay marriage but not be anti-gay, I suspect their are millions and millions of folks who fit into that category.

Let's not make this a church centric discussion.

KEEP THE DISCUSSION CIVIL!!!

Old 08-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

Also, it is possible to oppose gay marriage but not be anti-gay, I suspect their are millions and millions of folks who fit into that category.

That truth is far too difficult for many here to comprehend.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:32 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:

Absolutely agreed, but the largest supporters of the ban *are* churches and religious organizations. They're the ones rallying, they're the ones donating HUGE sums of money etc.

It's a pretty obvious correlation, really.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Plenty?

Quote:
Ok, and at the same time let's live in cloud cuckoo land and all hold hands and sing Kum-Bye-Ya.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Plenty?

Ok, and at the same time let's live in cloud cuckoo land and all hold hands and sing Kum-Bye-Ya.
Yes, plenty.

Look at the number of folks who tell polsters they are religious, or look at church attendance, and then look at the Prop 8 vote.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:48 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So basically if we make marriage legal for gays and lesbians then society doesnt have the right to stop any kind of marriage.

Man+Dog
Brother+Sister
Man+Wife+Wife
Woman+Husband+Dog

And so on...

I mean, you can't justify gay marriages without defending the other potential marriages that exist as well.

Why, that would be hypocritical...I mean, if its supposed to be about Love then who are we to stand in the way...right?

Ahem. I thought not.
Sure you can, just like you can support interracial marriages without supporting "any and all" marriages.

That said, I have no qualms about marriages between consenting adults.

Oh, and as for your extremely nonsensical comments about dogs, please. Same-sex marriage is no more likely to lead to dogs getting married than allowing women to vote was likely to lead to dogs voting, or banning slavery was likely to lead to 'emancipating' dogs.

Why the possibility of a dog petitioning a federal court for the right to marry concerns you is beyond me...

Last edited by Voyageur; 08-05-2010 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: removed piggybacked quote

Old 08-05-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Sure you can, just like you can support interracial marriages without supporting "any and all" marriages.
Once again, the fallacious correlation between interracial marriage and the desire for gays to be allowed to marry is made.

Its not the same thing.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:05 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Plenty?

Yes, plenty. And that includes a large percentage of people like me who are old enough to have gotten through their public schools years before the public schools' top priority mission became social engineering and thus turning out a population whose thoughts never dare stray from the letter of political correctness.

Today's young people dare not think outside of the box that their brains have been confined in since early childhood and that is the only reason that sensibility has been allowed to be turned inside out in the space of a generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California