Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The will of the people or the wrath of the mob?
Ironic that you would bring up the 'wrath of the mob' because the actions that occurred following the election show exactly which side demonstrated that sort of behavior.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:17 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
I bet the Catholic bishops are pissed [along with their Mormon cronies].

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Bravo! Way to go!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ironic that you would bring up the 'wrath of the mob' because the actions that occurred following the election show exactly which side demonstrated that sort of behavior.
Once again, you condone prodding someone until they react, then criticizing them for doing so....

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I would agree with this but not this time. This civil rights of a certain group should never be put up to a vote. It was a mistake to have a prop 8 in the first place IMO. Highnlite made a good comparison for the reasons why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
CA ballot initiatives, while occasionally resulting in positive change, often result in negative change and more unnecessary state spending without creating new revenue sources, which is one of the major causes of CA's fiscal crisis. This is why any substantive change for the better in California cannot occur until CA gets a new constitution.
Without going point-for-point on Majouns post, let me try to kill two birds with one stone here.

I say that because I have two dogs in this hunt. One is my faith as a Catholic and the other is that a daughter of mine, who I truly love, is a lesbian whose partner my wife and I think the world of. With a foot in each camp I'm truly conflicted.

I've always said that propositions resulting in unfunded mandates are the bane of CA's budgetary realities and an end-run often resorted to by the Legislature so it doesn't have to do its job.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Exacly Fontucky...exactly!
I remember those gas stations with colored restrooms and drinking fountains.

And for you youngsters out there, when I say "colored", I'm not referring to the paint job.

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I bet the Catholic bishops are pissed [along with their Mormon cronies].
As well as their Protestant cronies.

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Welcome back California!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:21 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The will of the people shouldn't (via the ballot box) be the determining factor for establishing civil rights.
And neither should the desire of one group to force their way into an institution that belongs to others. Anyway this is all water under the bridge.

Listen, I've given this a lot of thought and by now am willing to accept allowing gay marriage.

My biggest concern is that I don't believe for one minute that churches will be protected as far as being able to marry whomever they want.

And if you all thought Prop 8 was expensive, just wait until you try to force your way into churches. Then you will all know once and for all extent to which we are willing to go to protect our interests.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:23 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Without going point-for-point on Majouns post, let me try to kill two birds with one stone here.

I say that because I have two dogs in this hunt. One is my faith as a Catholic and the other is a daughter of mine, who I truly love, is a lesbian whose partner my wife and I think the world of. With a foot in each camp I'm truly conflicted.
I thought you were jewish?

Anyway beside the point. I won't talk about my qualms with Roman Catholics or Protestants for that matter. I will say however that as a Roman Catholic, that makes you a Christian and as a Christian, it's not up to us to pass judgment on others nor "play God" on the will of others.

Now I have lots of respect for you putting your family stuff out there like that. I can see why you're conflicted. Beyond that, I cannot say much else to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California